Concept albums that don't suck

Comments

• Never seen this one mentioned on here or the 'Dermy, but it is a fave. Call me a hipster; i've heard worse.

cosign this one, one of my favorite albums of the 90's.

This next one is also a favorite, although it's status as a concept album is debatable I suppose

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Side one of Tami Lynn's Love Is Here & Now You're Gone, where she's talking about her love problems between songs like a female Isaac Hayes.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    either i don't know what a 'concept' album is or there are a lot of strutters who don't...regardless...my fave from the last few years:

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I still like that one a lot.

And while we're at it:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The Equinox (batches)

• Wow, what is this? Looks like a Krushenick print.
    big ole cosign on BIRDMAN and Neutral Milk Hotel!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Doris Duke - I'm A Loser (thematic rather than stated, a la Caught Up)
    I Don't Care Anymore is, like, totally the ultimate nadir track in Soul LP history. Arc THAT.

...and then, there's Lightnin' Rod - Hustler's Convention. Hoo-ahh.

([color:white]Who will be the first to mention OK Computer?[/color])

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Wow, what is this? Looks like a Krushenick print.

It's an album by Dutch psych group the Outsiders, called "CQ." Super super dope record.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Pretty obvious but these do not suck.

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    I'm not sure, but is this

considered concept album?

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts

Well all the songs are by the same composer(not in the group), and it is kinda tripped out and experimental so I guess maybe. Or not.

The definition of a concept album is that it has a unifying theme throughout, is it not?

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
    does that mean songs of experience/innocence are concept albums then? i can't say i've ever thought about it but i guess they are

space is the place too

Well all the songs are by the same composer(not in the group), and it is kinda tripped out and experimental so I guess maybe. Or not.

The definition of a concept album is that it has a unifying theme throughout, is it not?

but they are all children songs, no?

• montymonty 420 Posts

yeah, but i wrote "All You Need To Make Music"

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    does that mean songs of experience/innocence are concept albums then? i can't say i've ever thought about it but i guess they are

space is the place too

Good call. In that case this has to be one of the best concept albums:

yeah, but
    i wrote "All You Need To Make Music"

true!
    but it also appeared in the tv show if i recall right.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

yeah, what's the point of posting obscure album covers with no words on them if youre not gonna identify 'em? we can't "respect, biatches!!" when we dont know what the hell it is

• montymonty 420 Posts

yeah, but
    wrote "All You Need To Make Music"

true!
    but it also appeared in the tv show if i recall right.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    The Mountain Goats actually made it to my sleepy Swedish town a year or two ago, the crowd were talking and they, and the people who were actually paying attention were understandably annoyed. What MG album would you recommend?

Sorry, lost power last night and ended up driving to my folks place to crash in the AC.

It's a newer one, i have really been feeling The Sunset Tree. We Shall All Be Healed is good too. It's weird, i find that with these guys a newer album is a huge window to the past. These two albums would make a lot of the old stuff make a little more sense.

Sunset Tree is mostly about growing up and dealing with a drunk and abusive stepfather (peep the dedication in the liners). It's much less lo-fi than the earlier stuff, but its solid as most of their stuff is.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    jeff wayne?

HA! Funny you should mention him. A couple of days ago I pulled out "War Of The Worlds" and listened to it all the way through for the first time since I was a kid.

Anyway, there seems to be some confusion as to what a concept album is. To me, stuff like Caught Up, Melody Nelson, What's Going On, Ziggy Stardust, Hustlers Convention et al are what I would call concept albums. There has to be some kind of pervading musical or lyrical/emotional theme that is either chosen or thought out by the artists themselves.

I would not classify the Stark Reality album as a concept album. Technically it is a soundtrack containing the music from a TV show. IMO Soundtracks do not count, since a score self-evidently builds on the concepts of a given film, TV or stage show. I don't know, that's just my way of seeing it.

• In addition to a number of dope concept LPs already mentioned in this thread, i would add:

Aphrodite's Child - 666
    Aceyalone - A Book Of Human Language
    Masta Ace - Slaughtahouse

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
    hehe war of the worlds is dope. an english crew sampled one of the tracks and made a nice beat out of it. obvious loop stuff but i still can't front on it

• Also: CA Quintet - Trip Thru Hell

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I wish I liked that NMH album more, but I think my overall dislike for the whole Elephant 6 collective taints it for me.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Monty, that Music Shop vid was

Have we had a Hoagy Carmichael thread?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

yeah, what's the point of posting obscure album covers with no words on them if youre not gonna identify 'em? we can't "respect, biatches!!" when we dont know what the hell it is

Sorry - I guess I figured those who know, know -
    and those who don't, can always ask. Wasn't trying to be Coolio Obscura...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Monty, that Music Shop vid was

DOPE!