Horace Silver's best

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I really really dig the Total Response LP. I love it! FACEMELTING!!! I forgot about it, but I was listening to it a lot this year.I listened to some other records by Mr. Silver. E.g. the other United States of Mind LPs, but to me, Total Response is best. Right or wrong? Please recommend some Horace Silver LPs. I didn't buy any other records by him. Big mistake? "Those hands that touch, but do not feel, that part of life that makes us real. Those arms outstretched and opened wide, but do they want someone inside? Won't you open up your senses and eliminate pretenses, while the source of all enhances every aspect of your life.""I've had a little talk with my stomach, and I've decided to treat him right."

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    ?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

never seen it. how is it? i really like the band set up and the instrumentation on Total Response. Great sounds and instruments. I love the singing. But I like classic Jazz too. So how does it sound. More classic or "rare-groovish"?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I listened to some other records by Mr. Silver. E.g. the other United States of Mind LPs, but to me, Total Response is best. Right or wrong?

Right, IMO. Waiting for Birdman to chime in...maybe he'll disagree.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I listened to some other records by Mr. Silver. E.g. the other United States of Mind LPs, but to me, Total Response is best. Right or wrong?

I can't even remember what those other United States of Mind LPs sound like. I listened to those more than 5 years ago... I really missed to buy some other Horace Silver records... he's a fantastic musician.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

i'll cosign this shit till i die. this is horace's best album. to me anyway. the african queen, pretty eyes, everything on this album swings in a unique way. very solid beginning to end. this is more straight up jazz than total response. plus you don't have to hear mr. silver sing.... you might dig in pursuit of the 27th man though.... but cape v and song for my father are unfuckwittable jazz classics.

edit: by the way, woody shaw absolutely murders this album. so does joe henderson.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    ?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Nothing like Response. Closer to Song for my Father. Definitley the same period. I'm far from being a connoisseur of early-mid 60s Bluenotes but I really like the feel of this album. I???ve always bought Blue Notes for the soul jazz period and am just semi recently delving into the earlier ones.

:littledudealert: !!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    plus you don't have to hear mr. silver sing....

nah, salome bey and andy bey... great singers. i think horace really liked andy. i read an interview with horace and he said that andy was the best singer he ever worked with. i like the siniging...

i need to check that record out. i like Jazz more than anything else!

i know he sings on one of those records with singing....

but yeah you will love cape v and sfmf if you love jazz.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i know he sings on one of those records with singing....

but yeah you will love cape v and sfmf if you love jazz.

I'll try to find those two. Added to my list. MANY THANKS.

more recommendations, please!

• NO DOUBT

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    find those two!

And if you love them, try this for example:

Joe Henderson is featured on so many great records including nice Blue Note sessions...

find those two!

Joe Henderson is featured on so many great records including nice Blue Note sessions...

joe henderson =

also, In & Out

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    joe henderson =

joe henderson =

joe henderson =

Triple co-sign !!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    ?

word. I'm a big Horace Silver fan, lemme also reccomend

for starters

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    3 other "old american funky blues" essential records :

• what's healing feelin' like? post a review or you're soft..

• jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
    what's healing feelin' like? post a review or you're soft..

Good stuff? I would put the 3 USoM albums in this order on a scale of 1-10:
    Total Response (10)
    That Healin' Feelin' (8)
    All (6)

That Healin' Feelin' has a vocal version of Peace sung by Andy Bey (very nice), also the song "Happy Medium" and "Love Vibrations" both also w/ Andy Bey on vocals.

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    Also both volumes of Art Blakey's A Night At Birdland feature some great early Horace Silver (esp. the solo on Night In Tunisia), as well as Clifford Brown! All-time classic Blue Note!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    AND THIS IS WHY I NEVER FUCK WITH ANY HORACE SILVER REKKIDS WITH VOCALS ON 'EM[/b]:
    "Those hands that touch, but do not feel, that part of life that makes us real. Those arms outstretched and opened wide, but do they want someone inside? Won't you open up your senses and eliminate pretenses, while the source of all enhances every aspect of your life."OHHH NO.[/b]

But when he keeps it purely instrumental, all is right with the world...

My own Silver stash includes:

My own states of mind are united when he does that "Filthy McNasty!!!"

I also have a CD best-of and a grip of his Blue Note singles that I've found here & there...

• ?

word. I'm a big Horace Silver fan, lemme also reccomend

All must-haves imho. Unexpected essential Silver:

which contains a vocal version of Senor Blues w/ Eddie Jefferson on vox.

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts

My own states of mind are united when he does that "Filthy McNasty!!!"

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    So you guys actually recommend Silver's entire catalogue, right? That's tough... thanks for those recommendations

I didn't like those three. I need to listen to those again, but as far as I remember, I didn't like them... I mean, I didn't like them as much as Total Response (which I don't like for the funkiness itself - more for the overall concept and sound).

any less hardbop more classic Jazz records by Horace? I don't have access to MP3 sites, so please don't call me lazy. I can't listen to all those records on my computer...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    oh wow! i checked amazon and they got soundclips... cool! i'll check all those rekkids out!

• find those two!

At one point there was a boxed set of Henderson's Blue Note appearances. It's been out of print for a few years.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I can't even remember what those other United States of Mind LPs sound like. I listened to those more than 5 years ago... I really missed to buy some other Horace Silver records... he's a fantastic musician.

While I love the entire United States of Mind series(and to me each record in the series has it's charms), it clearly was a departure for Horace Silver at that stage, and hardly what he did best. While I love a lot of his later records on his own Silveto label that remind me of the USoM series, his real strength was soulful church-n-barstool-capital-J JAZZ. Going back to his association with Art Blakey, Horace Silver's bread and butter and most lasting contribution is the foundation of Hard Bop. While certainly as sophisticated a musician as any of the greats he played with (and in several cases, discovered and nurtured), Silver is best when letting his instincts take over and interpreting the blues with hard bop. My fave essential Horace Silver LPs:

My Top 2:

and just behind them:

I also think that from the interviews I have seen and articles I have read that Horace Silver seems like one of the most down to earth and likable musicians ever. He is at the top of my list for musicians I would most love to meet.

• I have to say that Horace Silver's 6 Pieces of Silver and The Stylings of Silver are my two of my favorites.
    amir

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Anybody out there like his "In Pursuit of the 27th man"? I think that's a real solid album. Really feeling that "Gregory is here" track.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

huge fan of "enchantment" on this, huge huge huge. Is the 1st mono press of this on Lexington or W 63rd? This came right on the edge of the address change if I recall. I read it was Lexington up to 1543, whereas 6 pieces is 1539. Yet all I see are w. 63rd pressings, NERD OOT!

also I love any version of "Peace". Snoorah actually did a great cover of that too, especially on Mcpartland's piano jazz.

swoon...