Help.... payment options for large transaction

aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
In the middle of working out details on a high dollar 45 with a buyer in the UK. I don't want to use paypal for a variety of reasons. any suggestions on other methods of payment? are there money order limits for IMO?anyone use a service called auctionchex? (https://auctionchex.com)money wire?thanks in advance for your help!peace.

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Wire transfer.

Fast, secure and no way he can dispute the charge. Ask your bank for details. However, there may be a multitude of fees involved. Wire transfers can cost about $40 to send, a fee for the currency exchange, etc. If you sold this 45 for thousands it would be worth the hassel and expense. Anything less and it starts eating away at your profits.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    In the middle of working out details on a high dollar 45 with a buyer in the UK.
    I don't want to use paypal for a variety of reasons.

any suggestions on other methods of payment?
    are there money order limits for IMO?
    anyone use a service called auctionchex? (https://auctionchex.com)
    money wire?

thanks in advance for your help!

peace.

There are limits on IMO's, but I think it's pretty high - $2k maybe? I did a midsize transaction with a Brazilian dealer and used old-fashioned Western Union. It worked out great - the fee was maybe $6 and he could pick it up at his bank.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    Is cash too risky ?? i have done it before with no problems as long as it gets sent signed for, well packed & insured then it should be fine, depends on the amount i guess.He'll be able to get GBP changed into USD for nothing at the post office.

Nochex and PPPay will end up costing you around about the same as Paypal i think.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    In my experience IMOs are the way to go for four figure overseas transactions .

But, I???ll also accept paypal. Sure RapePal TM, takes a questionably large cut, but it sure is convenient and how greedy can you be? You buy a 45 for buck, sell it for $1500, and then bitch about paying the middle man who made the whole transaction possible? Leakage, my balls! I want the guy who's robbing us!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I think A*i only made this post to present to Soulstrut his status as a

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    For $3000+ transactions I use PayPal Black Platinum.

• In my experience IMOs are the way to go for four figure overseas transactions .

But, I???ll also accept paypal. Sure RapePal TM, takes a questionably large cut, but it sure is convenient and how greedy can you be? You buy a 45 for buck, sell it for $1500, and then bitch about paying the middle man who made the whole transaction possible? Leakage, my balls! I want the guy who's robbing us!

Maybe it's not so much the fee that bothers him but the fact that Paypal is wide open for sellers to get defrauded by overseas buyers. If a complaint is filed sellers are assumed guilty even if all circumstantial evidence points the other way. Their standard for reversing a chargeback claim is nearly impossible to meet - we've talked about this plenty of times before. Hopefully the new google payment system will not be set up in a similar fashion. I can't wait to be able to say "I no longer accept Paypal", especially after getting ripped off twice in the last month.

Ari, see if you're buyer will do a Western Union payment, that way you can just go into a check cashing place and walk out with green. Then you only have to worry about getting mugged.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    If I was a USA resident, I would be checking the new Bidpay service out.

Seller benefits include:

* Seller Protection from chargebacks
    * Accept payments from International Buyers
    * Automatic integration to your eBay?? auctions
    * Accept credit and debit cards (MC, Visa, Amex) with no need for a Merchant Account
    * Competitive service fees
    * FREE account setup

and you can transfer the money to your bank account. Only in the USA

• Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realize Bidpay was back on the scene. However, it seems they fundamentally have the same chargeback policy as Paypal, despite their claims on their main page that sellers will be protected against chargebacks. This is taken from their service agreement:

b. Seller Protection. For each Payment, if a Card payment submitted by a Buyer is approved by BidPay and applicable funds are remitted by BidPay to Seller???s Bank Account, BidPay shall assume the Chargeback risk for such Payment subject to satisfaction of ALL of the following conditions:

2. Seller ships goods using an established courier or postal service that provides shipment confirmation services;

USPS does not provide confirmation services for standard airmail, only for global express, and that tracking number is only accessible by phone, not their website (in my experience). Not to mention the fact that global express costs about three times as much as regular airmail. So we're back where we started from re: chargeback fraud.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    hey if you can get someone overseas to go for a Western Union transfer, more power to you. But I would be very surprised if they did.

• hey if you can get someone overseas to go for a Western Union transfer, more power to you. But I would be very surprised if they did.

I've had people volunteer to do it. If you have perfect feedback and/or trust built up through a couple years of selling on message boards or ebay then people realize it's not a risk to use Western Union.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    Best thing to do is to go by the guy's feedback, if his nose is clean i wouldn't worry and go for the Paypal.Cash is still an alternative, everyway you go it's a risk either way for seller and buyer.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I think A*i only made this post to present to Soulstrut his status as a

i did not mention the title of the record or the amount.
    so take it back.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    thanks for all the info.

i'll most likely look into western union, a bank money transfer, or good old fashioned IMO.

• Options
    IMo from Barclay's bank or the like should do. Had cash sent as well many time with no trouble 9as long as it's a couriered letter).

K.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    thanks for all the info.

i'll most likely look into western union, a bank money transfer, or good old fashioned IMO.

I think a bank money transfer will have fees associated to it. A Western Union transfer has $0 cost for you. The buyer can see the order status online til the moment you cash it. Some sort of peace of mind for him. He has to email the 10 digit code in order for you to have the money (at least that's how it works here).

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Moneygram. Cash at Walmarts. Very easy.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i mostly do wire transfers when i get payments of over $1500. the cost is on them. it takes a few days but its the easiest and safest way.

ive tried paypal, bidpay (before the first shut-down), imos, etc...

go with a wire.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    anyone ever try any of that online escrow shit?