Your HIPHOP Baptism?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
When was your first close encounter w/ HipHOP? Whether it was the clothing,music,dancin' etc....?Tell me your story.

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Rapper's Delight when it first hit the charts around 1979-80. My friend bought the 12" and I always liked the label. We tried to memorize the entire rap. Later on in Jr. High a bunch of my friends got into breakdancing crews and would go to a local Chuck E Cheese for battles every weekend. That was probably 1981-82. That's also probably the first time I head breakbeat songs like Apache, whathaveyou.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    In elementary school this classmate did a b-boy routine to Herman Kelly's Dance to thr Drummers Beat.
    I never saw the dance w/ the music. SHAZAM...I was open.
    Another classmate showed me that my B-boy name would be Davey-D 'cause of my first name. I wouldnt keep that shit cause Davy-D canonized it himself.
    Then my moms brought me a pair of Brown on Brown Leather British Walkers - and all my classmates were on my shit. The rest is history.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Berlin, 1983, September...saw bboying live on the streets (some turkish bboys were throwing down and were walking around after with the hat to get some money etc..) I just memorized hearing the music out of the boombox, saw the dance and would just suck in (no homo) every piece of information that i could get after this on HH. have been hooked eversince...didn't see wild style till ten years later, but started dancing immediately after this in 1984...

• 1982....purchased Soul Sonic Force "Planet Rock" at Tower Records.

I had other 12"s like "Rapper's Delight" and other soul music (just for the fact that I love music- Thanks Dad!) but I didn't realized that I infused myself with Hiphop until 1982....which was my first vivid memory into the culture.

Anyone remember when Tower Records (at least in the US) had 45's on the wall and new release albums on the ground- still in their shipping boxes, and albums were taken out for display/purchase?

1983....breakdancing (what I called it back then) at Kings Skate Country....having three/four fat laces in my Pumas with different designs

early 80s...having a Realistic mixer and two home turntables...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Anyone remember when Tower Records (at least in the US) had 45's on the wall and new release albums on the ground- still in their shipping boxes, and albums were taken out for display/purchase?

yes! i bought a whole bunch of euro imports from them back then.

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
    i bought "hip-hop and rappin in the house" on tape when i was 10. it was the first tape i'd ever bought with my own money and i got it because it had doug e fresh "the show" and whistle "only buggin" on it (though i don't know where i knew them from. i think actually from an advert on tv for the "hip-hop..." compilation itself, in fact)

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    in third and fourth grades me and my boys used to tape songs off the radio. rick deees (nuts!) the weekly top 40 and shit like that. white lines and white horse were two of my favorite things to try to catch and tape, but i didnt really see them as anything but radio songs. at school we all had little tape deck radio players and this kid james rembert used to start bringing strictly hiphop tapes in. white lines was some real original shit in my young ears, but i still listened to all types of things.
    in 6th grade ronald clark stood on the desk in front of class and announced that anyone who wanted a dub of raising hell just needed to bring hium a blank tape.
    6th grade i started noticing kids wriiting grafiti in their notebooks and talking abou tdoing pieces, but i was never deep into that stuff...strictly basketball for me

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    In the very late 70's there were some kids in my class that always used to bring in the dope bedroom mix tapes typically stolen from their older brothers.
    It would usually consist of popular disco cuts of the day and the occasional Sugar Hill or Enjoy record being horribly cut back and forth on belt drive turntables.
    But since I never heard anything like it, I was very intruiged.
    Later I would get tapes of good local DJs, like Mastermind, Blade, Ernie Vines, Eddie On and (my namesake) Kid Nice.
    Took me quite a while to figure out how they were actually making the scratching sound.
    A couple years later when Flash on the Wheels of Steel came out, that's what officially made me take the next step and try to fuck with my dad's turntable.

I can't begin to count the number of times dad let me have it after he would find out I lied to him and messed with his stereo.
    To this day I could never figure out how he knew. I mean, I really tried to be super-secret-squirell about shit too.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I heard "The Message" on a late-night radio show when I was 9 or 10...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    i bought "hip-hop and rappin in the house" on tape when i was 10.
    #

I think I bought the VHS of this for a mate's birthday. Does it have Darryl Pandy and The Surf M.C.s "Surf or Die" on it?

It was the graf that got me into it. I was working on my "Chrome effect" letters for my tape covers and then there was some graf documentary with breaking etc. and those kids had it all taken to the .

IIRC Peter Powell (yes, Anthea Turner's ex) was the first mainstream UK DJ to play The Message back in the day on Radio 1. Obviously at 10 or 11 I was not too busy "Checking the pirates". I could bullshit I was into Clyde Stubblefield since a foetus, but then I'd sound like one of those DJs that claimed to have been playing Ibiza so long they must have been there before it rose from the sea.

Plate tectonics headz to keep the deal to themselves.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    It's been so long.

I can't remember if it was through my Aunt and Uncle's record store, or just before the first breakdance craze. But, I do remember when one of my best friends came back (Fam trip to NYC) with a tape with just "The Bronx" graffitied on it was when I was hooked solid.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince

or

Young MC- Stone Cold Rhymin' (radio hits aside, this was and still is a great album)!

I'm apparently a youngster.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Princeor Young MC- Stone Cold Rhymin' (radio hits aside, this was and still is a great album)!I'm apparently a youngster.

Was it simply a song that brought you in or were there other factors. Older cats in your hood? Breakdancin' on TV shows? Mall dispays w/ hiphop manakins?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Jose Delgado playin'"King of Rock" on his boom box on the school bus, 8th grade, 1985.

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
    I think I bought the VHS of this for a mate's birthday. Does it have Darryl Pandy and The Surf M.C.s "Surf or Die" on it?

not as far as i remember mate. it had moe dee "go see the doctor", dana dane "cinderfella" ... um... yazz? shit, i can't remember. i have the original tape somewhere though

Obviously at 10 or 11 I was not too busy "Checking the pirates". I could bullshit I was into Clyde Stubblefield since a foetus

see that's what i'm talking about. i used to tape westwood on radio 1 (though i wasn't recording when KRS made his legendary appearance years latee, despite listening to it at the time) but i'm in south yorkshire man, i'm not going to throwdowns in covent garden and shit. if it was goin off in the parks, it meant white lightning (or whatever alcohol we could get), soap-bar/BnH 100s and benches - not b-boys and battling! even in sheffield, it wasn't all about that. yeah, there were graf jams in the basketball courts and you'd get djs down there sometimes, but that was years after that.

i'm living in barnsley, dammit, if you wanted to be up on shit you needed to go out there and find it yourself. i used to go down to london as much as i could but i had next to no cash, once i'd paid for bus tickets and all that. i could get a few albums at the most, and that was it, so you know i chose carefully on those shits. i remember coming back from tower records with dah shinin, reading the cover inside and out & wishing i didn't have to wait 4hrs + before i could play it! fuck an ipod, fuck a download - by the time i had chance to hear that i knew who'd produced it, i know who'd guested, i knew who'd been thanked and why (and who to check out next time i was at the store, if i liked the lp). i liked the fact that i was an anorak about that shit, that i knew about smif-n-wessun because of black moon, heltah skeltah because of smif-n-wessun and ogc because of heltah skeltah etc. it worked back then. nowadays you pick up the lp of somebody who's guested on a dope lp and it's been hatched out before it was ready. shit is done in an instant now, no waiting for skills to mature. so many artists are chewed up and spat out before they're even ready to comprehend what an LP should be... despite them having already recently one

(side bitch #1: 74mins of music doesn't mean you made an lp)

(side bitch #2: 90% of albums were better when you could fit 2 on a c90)

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I grew up about two hours north of Toronto in a mid sized farmland town. Not a lot of authentic hip hop hapening without it being brought up from Toronto by older kids. One of my best friends Jeff had an older cousin who we kinda looked up to. He was one of the best skateboarders in the town, and just an all around charismatic and cool guy. He would make dubs of tapes for Jeff, and I would make dubs of my own from Jeff. Hearing all kinds of shit - not just hip hop, but punk, ska, reggae - on those tapes was a lot of my first real memories of being into music. I also got a lot of early hip hop from mix tapes done by a guy named Shawn Law. He's now DJ Law on 89.5 in Toronto. His mixes were my source for a lot of the hip hop I heard back then. Tight mixes and blends with the occasional scratch and juggle. I remember trying to explain to my mom what a mix tape was... and she just couldn't really get it. Man that shit's actually funny to think about now...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Probably MC Hammer. Not really sure though.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    For me it was dancing. We knew this older cat (upper teens) who was a gang member and he schooled us on some dance moves. With a few hommies, we made a dance crew and started battling the high schoolers and on the street. We dabbled in graffiti and fights as well but our fame was dancing.

I remember at a battle, this crew had an mc that would rap about their crew. I was like, damn, that's

Later I got Run DMC's tape and was inspired by Jam Master Jay's manipulation of the record. Since I had been fucking with records since i remember, that was the logical step. Who woulda thought that there would be a place to go from spinning records backwards, or repeating parts, cutting the line on the reciever. I still have some of the evidence. My moms destroyed funk records in my bins. Discovering that you can hear the record using a sewing pin didn't help any.

I thought Run-DMC's word play was dope and other rappers were funny, good, or whatever but Rakimshowed me a whole deeper level in that shit. Structurally, and conceptually. Plus it was