Top Five LIVE Soul Albums!

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Revolution of the MindGene Chandler Live on Stage in '65Etta James Rocks the House!Curtis Live!James Brown - Live at the Apollo 1962

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    donny hathaway

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I said top FIVE[/b] muthafuckas!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    donny hathaway

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Curtis- Live
    Hathaway
    Otis live @ Whiskey (If for no reason other than "Pain in My Heart")
    JB @ Apollo
    Band of Gypsies (YEAH I said it)

pretty pedestrian list, I'll say so myself

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    - Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall[/b]
    - Live![/b], the Magnificent Men
    - Live![/b], Junior Walker & the All-Stars (the other live Jr. Walker elpee is good too - it's also called Live, but with no exclamation point)
    - Apollo Saturday Night[/b] (various artists, including Rufus Thomas, Ben E. King, the Coasters, and a very young & nervous Otis Redding)
    - that recent compilation of various Texas funk bands recorded live in 1970

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Etta James Rocks the House!
    [/b]

This one is three of my top five alone. Rounding out though

Wattstax[/b] ain't I clean?
    Wilson Pickett live in Philly (oooohhhaaahhh bumble bee!)
    King Curtis live at Filmore West
    Withers Live at Carnegie Hall

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    donny hathaway

basically.

Wilson Pickett In Philadelphia ? That was a regular ole studio album that happened to be recorded in Philadelphia - not live at all - but still excellent!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Honorable Mention -

and

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    what about

??

cosign: curtis, marvin, bill withers, wattstax (1 and 2?)

• olskoololskool 77 Posts
    Curtis - Live
    Village Callers
    Meters (At ROZY'S)
    Donny Hathaway
    Kool & The Gang

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Can't fuck with anyone's choices, would def. add "The Womack Live", as it stands up w/ any of 'em...

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    The Otis side of the Jimi Hendrix / Otis Redding : Live at Monterey LP.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Wilson Pickett In Philadelphia ? That was a regular ole studio album that happened to be recorded in Philadelphia - not live at all - but still excellent!

My bad, I guess if people are sticklers I'll take this one off and put Donny Hathaway back on. The Wattstax album isn't really 100% live as well, some of the songs were re-recorded in the studio after the concert due to poor recording at the event, but it stays on my list.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

My bad, I guess if people are sticklers I'll take this one off and put Donny Hathaway back on. The Wattstax album isn't really 100% live as well, some of the songs were re-recorded in the studio after the concert due to poor recording at the event, but it stays on my list.

well, there's a large difference between an album with no lives songs whatsoever and a live double album with 2 (if memory serves me, La Di Da by the Staples and one other, Eddie Floyd maybe?) studio tracks... love that album, tho... got it when i was 15 before going to a madball show...

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Top Five Live "SOUL" Albums.......is this qualified? Good pick but to me this is funk;)

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    - Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall[/b]

There are parts of this I love, and Bill straight kills it on a couple (Grandma's Hands I remember in particular), but I pretty much stopped listening because of the crowd. White people clapping off beat and nearly ruining the song is

Besides that, many of mine have been said. Live at Harlem Square is amazing, especially compared to the subdued performance on the Copa live album. Also feeling the Donny Hathway one. The live Marvin Gaye at the Paladium album is dope. Also, not exactly soul, but what about BB King, Live at The Regal?

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    White people clapping off beat and nearly ruining the song is

please bro. let me live.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Revolution of the Mind
    Gene Chandler Live on Stage in '65
    Curtis Live!
    James Brown - Live at the Apollo 1962

I would of said the exact five records except gene chandler and curtis live would of been the top two.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Revolution of the Mind
    Curtis Live!

I would of said the exact five records except gene chandler and curtis live would of been the top two.

Yes, well I noticed nobody[/b] co-signing the Gene Chandler, to which I say:

"Sleep on, oh ye Sleepers - Sleep On"

--------------------

Also, forgot to give an honorable mention to:

Revolution of the Mind
    Curtis Live!

Yes, well I noticed nobody[/b] co-signing the Gene Chandler

I would have, but we only have five albums in these lists, and the same elpees in each and every post would be mighty boring...

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Lately I can't stop listening to Gene, in particular "There was a Time"

"My heart is fumbling in the dark... Keeping me from your love!".

SO good.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    what about

??

Can't remember if its this one or live at the Sex Machine which has those bizarre loops of screams from the crowd dubbed on. You hear the same irritatingly distinctive scream from the same girl repeated over and over at regular intervals. Always made me wonder how 'live' the recording was. Still a great album though.