NBA FINALS?

2»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    All those run-and-gun, ghetto-ball teams are not going to the finals.

Who, us? We get sick with it, though.

Nope, good, ole' fashioned team ball with good passing, shot selection, rebounding, and defense still wins titles. Cats need to recognize and get back to the basics, and that's word!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Nope, good, ole' fashioned team ball with good passing, shot selection, rebounding, and defense still wins titles. Cats need to recognize and get back to the basics, and that's word!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I went to college in Durham, North Carolina so I know all about fundamental basketball...But college isn't for everyone, and as a fan of the game, I think there's room for multiple styles of play.

P.S. Faux_rillz has taken to calling Amare "Black Jesus." Slam it or jam it?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I think he has that tattooed on his neck--something I just noticed last night. If true, then he needs to shut his piehole with that business.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I went to college in Durham, North Carolina so I know all about fundamental basketball...But college isn't for everyone, and as a fan of the game, I think there's room for multiple styles of play.

Hey Coselmed,

Sure, multiple styles of play are fine, but poor fundamental basketball does not win titles. Name a team in the last 20 years that was not fundamentally sound that won a title. Here's the list of squads:

1985-Lakers.
    1986-Celtics.
    1987-Lakers.
    1988-Lakers
    1989-Pistons.
    1990-Pistons.
    1991-Bulls.
    1992-Bulls.
    1993-Bulls.
    1994-Rockets.
    1995-Rockets.
    1996-Bulls.
    1997-Bulls.
    1998-Bulls.
    1999-Spurs.
    2000-Lakers.
    2001-Lakers.
    2002-Lakers.
    2003-Spurs.
    2004-Pistons.

As you can see, none of these squads consistently jacked bad shots or failed to rebound, play defense, or pass.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

2000-Lakers.
    2001-Lakers.
    2002-Lakers.
    2004-Pistons.

I would argue that none of the Lakers teams that won the championship in this decade were particularly impressive fundamentally; having two of the best players in history totally skews that + look at how they fell apart last year with basically the same personnel. And the 2004 Pistons? I thought scoring was a fundamental, too; it was huge surprise to me when New Jersey went cold in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Okay, I retract what I said about the 2004 Lakers' personnel. Memories of Payton and Malone faded fast, but they saw little burn in the Finals.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Truth. only people generally emphasized the offense as the Laker's demise last season and not the defense, which i did not understand.

I would argue that none of the Lakers teams that won the championship in this decade were particularly impressive fundamentally; having two of the best players in history totally skews that.

Again, as a Laker faithful I object. I think they were efficient as hell, and i think that equates to being fundamentally sound. After all, fundamentals are taught to play the game more efficiently. Individually, those players definitely were grounded in fundamentals.

• faded_gloryfaded_glory 421 Posts
    PGs bring the ball down and just chuck a three with no pass whatsoever (can you say these names? Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis, as two flagrant examples of this).

you probably don't get to see any knicks games - they're not on national TV much these days - but you couldn't be more wrong about stephon marbury. say what you will about his teams' wins and losses, but he's far from being a chucker and is actually one of the best distributing point guards in the league. when he made his (foolish) comment about being the best point guard in the league he definitely had a point - as far as skills are concerned, he really is one of the best .. better than jason kidd even. he just hasn't quite been able to put together a winning run aside from the one season with the suns when they took san antonio to a game 5 (back in the days of 5 game series) and almost won. i'll concede that marbury has work to do, but he seems to have a reputation as a me-first PG that he can't shake, and having watched the knicks quite closely since he came over i can say that it's really inaccurate. he's a joy to watch.

However much I'd like Nash to make the finals, I'd wager the onyl 2 teams[/b] left will make it.

miami plays excellent team ball as well.

However much I'd like Nash to make the finals, I'd wager the onyl 2 teams[/b] left will make it.

miami plays excellent team ball as well.

Yo Faded,

I'll concede that Steph has improved on his game, but he still does some chucking on occasion. Miami does play great team ball, but I think the "Dirty D" is a little better at it, especially on the defensive end. I think the two finals teams are pretty damn obvious, don't you?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yo Faded,

I'll concede that Steph has improved on his game, but he still does some chucking on occasion. Miami does play great team ball, but I think the "Dirty D" is a little better at it, especially on the defensive end. I think the two finals teams are pretty damn obvious, don't you?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

if anything, i wanted steph to be more aggressive in looking for his shot this season. his game is more geared towards taking it to the basket and he passes up a lot of open looks.

i don't think it's obvious who will come out of the east. detroit stole game 1 but this should shape up to be a pretty nice series that could go either way. that is, of course, if miami wins tonight.

• that is, of course, if miami wins tonight.

7 three's in a row for detroit! it's still 70-69 miami. wade certainly showed up to play tonight.

as far teams and teamwork go, detroit is a great example in my opinion. yes, i'm biased, but on any given night the teams mvp could be ben, sheed, chauncey, rip, or tayshaun. not to mention dyees, arroyo and hunter off the bench.

and to comment on scoring just doesn't seem to hold weight...they won the championship, how can you front on that?

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    I think Suns vs. Heat would be the most fun to watch just because they got more exciting style of play, and of course, people wants to see Shaq and "Flash" do his thing on the big stage.

Too bad it's pretty clear right now that we'll be watching a Spurs vs. Pistons Finals.

But the Spurs ain't THAT boring. Y'all see Manu G at the end of the 4th last night?! Dude was pullin some ill Jordan-esque ish for a minute. He's fearless going to the hole and is slowly becoming one of the leagues top players, IMO. Parker is inconsistent, but still making strides, too.

It'll still be a good series and all, but I'm trying to see some new dudes up in there. Esp. Amare, Nash, and Wade. Right now the Suns are looking like they'll get swept because they got NO bench.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    dwayne wade, whoa

• dwayne wade, whoa

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Got this Pistons game on now -

And as some others were sayin - this is a great playoff season. I got no natural connection to any of the last four - but they are all hype to watch!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    dwayne wade, whoa

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    when he made his (foolish) comment about being the best point guard in the league he definitely had a point - as far as skills are concerned, he really is one of the best .. better than jason kidd even.

Maybe he's got more Rucker skills than Kidd, but he definitely isn't topping Kidd in NBA skills. Best point guard in the league? Hardly.

Marbury can improve...whether he will is another matter...from what i've seen in the past, he does way too much passing the ball out to the wing and stand around. When you think of Marbury or Francis for that matter, you do not think of HUSTLE. and HUSTLE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE COURT wins game. i do not care though really, because they are great individual players and not in my city.

as far as skills are concerned, he really is one of the best .. better than jason kidd even.

what skills specifically? J. KIDD GOT SKILL, and more importantly he's a leader and a hard-nosed competitor.

what skills specifically? J. KIDD GOT SKILL, and more importantly he's a leader and a hard-nosed competitor.

they're different players, but jason kidd's offensive game is pretty unrefined by comparison. kidd is not a better passer, per se, but he runs the break better than anyone in the league. marbs is a far better half court PG in that he runs the pick and roll well and gets to the rim at will. i'm not taking anythingi away from kidd - he knows how to win - but as far as skills are concerned there are better guards.

i want to see how good marbury can be with a reliable post scorer at his side. if he and amare stoudemire had stuck together there's no telling how good that tandem could be. it looks like the knicks might end up with a decent, athletic PF in the draft (possibly chris taft out of pittsburgh), so maybe that situation will improve soon.

dwayne wade, whoa (from the NBA.com boxscore, NOT cable t.v. i see that he has scored 40pts. and tied the series at one a piece!)

but really, this does not surprise me. he and LJ were unbelievable from the start of the season.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I don't "call" him that; that's what one of the tattoos on his neck says.

The other one says "LORD KNOWS".

Is there a better look? It seems unlikely.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Nope, good, ole' fashioned team ball with good passing, shot selection, rebounding, and DEFENSE still wins titles. Cats need to recognize and get back to the basics, and that's word!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

There is nothing wrong with running and gunning but you have to play defense as well which is what the Suns dont do. They try to out score you.

Nope, good, ole' fashioned team ball with good passing, shot selection, rebounding, and DEFENSE still wins titles. Cats need to recognize and get back to the basics, and that's word!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

There is nothing wrong with running and gunning but you have to play defense as well which is what the Suns dont do. They try to out score you.

Yo Batmon,

My point is that a team has to do the four elements well (i.e., shooting, passing, rebounding, and defense) to win a title. As you said, the Suns come up short on the D.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yo Batmon,

My point is that a team has to do the four elements well (i.e., shooting, passing, rebounding, and defense) to win a title. As you said, the Suns come up short on the D.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

No Doubt Bro. Do you think the Suns will change their style next year because of this problem or will they stay the same and bammboozle the public with entertaining B-Ball that doesnt win?