To Bootleg or not to Bootleg

Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
This has happened a couple of times before. I get approached by someone wanting to bootleg a record and they want me to supply a CD copy or MP3 of the record. My first reaction is to say no, because I spent the time, effort and money to track down that record and don't really want to see bootleg copies flooding the market. But the kicker is I also understand that not everyone has access to obtaining an original so who am I to just sit on a record that many people seem to want. Its a pretty tough call. Thoughts?

Comments

• i say music is to be shared, now if there were asking for the audio from you so they can package it and sell it and profite of it themselves, fuck 'em keep your secrets

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    If it's likely the people who made the record originally are still around and could probably use a few dollars going there way, find someone who is willing to reissue it and get in contact with the artist(s) and make sure some of the money goes the artists or families way.

That way you can share it around and you don't feel like a douche and good karma will go your way.

If that all sounds too hard and they just want a CD copy to listen to, just share it all round, but don't let thed motherfuckers start selling shit that you spent the hard work and moneys finding.

• i say music is to be shared, now if there were asking for the audio from you so they can package it and sell it and profite of it themselves, fuck 'em keep your secrets

I'm for sharing the music. But yeah, they well press it up, sell it and keep the money (not that I'm looking for money). I would feel better about it if they were not out to make a profit.

Does anyone recall the time when the TSL found that Valentine Drum 45, then pressed up 500 copies and gave it out for free to their customers? I would be cool with something like that.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Drum King Wenceslaus.
    Yo man, Funk dat! Where's my Sagat graemlin?!
    PS If you bootleg, you get your leg broke!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    bootlegging = a very bad look

Don't do it!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    yeah like none of you guys own a scorpio repress...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Where's my Sagat graemlin?!

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    i sure do love my turkish funk/jazz bootleg. Bosporus bridges=

I own a shitload of bootlegs but I didn't press them myself!

I'd eat a chicken but i don't think I could kill one!

I got plenty of Nikes but I don't wanna see the 8 year old mongolian boy who made them!

Don't hate the Sayer!

• i sure do love my turkish funk/jazz bootleg. Bosporus bridges=

Not a bootleg as far as i know; dude that compiled is a Strut member and posted detailed info in the announcement section. great lp btw!

as for the bootleggers:
    anyone who requests an mp3 with plans to press it on vinyl should get the . If youre going that route, make sure you've got your audio right dudes.

• DeanDean 14 Posts
    yeah like none of you guys own a scorpio repress...

It may come as a suprise, but most Scorpio represses are legit. I've checked with several labels and seen the contract for their Fania reissues.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Do it for money.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    bootlegging = a very bad look

fuck bootleggers. i mean, really, fuck those dudes. and if they are not even able to track down an original copy themselves, fuck them even more.

bootlegs are wack. i will never buy a bootleg. i don't need music that badly. people who really care about music and the musicians don't care about vinyl bootlegs that much (DJs care about vinyl bootlegs - music lovers would appreciate a cassette tape just as much - or an mp3 --> i'm cool with that). i know some people will hate me for saying that, but their only arguments are that the music needs to be spread (for DJing? for collecting purposes? for owning the bootleg of a rare record? for outplaying others?) and that some people can't afford the original. if poeple really can't afford the original record (if you really really need that record sooooo bad, then save some money and go buy the original! - it might take some months or years, but hey, 99% of all people with a record player and records at home are able to save some money and serious collectors with a true interest in that record would do so!), then someone needs to produce an official vinyl reissue (which is totally cool and great!). i just don't like the idea of bootleggers getting money for their work. give that stuff out for free or leave it alone. trading and sharing is cool, but bootlegging?

What is bootlegging for anyways? A friend of mine bought a bootleg in London and it was totally burned out after one year. Bad background noise all over the record.

It's a cool idea of TSL to press up some super rare 45 and give it out for free, but selling that stuff would have been quite a bad look, right?

Just my opinion. Don't hate on me. I'm not mad or something.
    someone asked what we are thinking about this, so i decided to post my toughts. no need for beef. if you think different, then post about it. but please don't call me names :whaaaaaaam-bulance:. i'm very sensitive, ok?

I'd never give the CD to those bootleggers. Even if they would offer me money, I wouldn't do it. Of course they can't pay me any money, because they can't even afford the original record. Hahahahahahaha! How come they are able to run a bootlegging business without any money then?

PS: 10 pager

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Do it yourself !!!

I have no problem with bootlegs or reissues...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    As someone who use to deal quite a bit with a few big time boot dudes. I'd say... Why bother...

I've also seen friends boot up hard to find shit and go on to sell 5000 copies no prob. But that was almost 10 years ago. Can anyone still do that? Back in the day in our shops, we were also taking 25, 50 to 100 units per title on the first order, depending on the tracks. I doubt anyone is taking more than 10 anymore (But who knows, maybe their is still a market for it).

And I totally agree. If your going to do it... DO NOT BOOT OFF AN MP3. That shit will sound horrid. Even if you find someone that does a quality press, it will sound crappy. And if you go the cheap route and get someone that does a shitty press, it will sound like garbage (I'm thinking of one dude in Detroit in particular).