Recommend some Drum-n-Bass,Jungle,etc...

2»

Comments

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    For live sets I would sugesst DJ Marky, Andy C and Friction. These guys really push live sets with juggling and scratching. They are always amazing to watch live. The Hospital guys are pretty dope as well.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Ok,so I'm not really a huge fan of this genre but I do like some of it.

I'm looking for a spacey "heady" kinda sound as opposed to a strictly "club/dance" kinda sound.

Well, I was a huge fan of this genre and still like some of it. Many good recommendations already, but I am not sure if you will like the stuff, if you look for "spacey heady sound". Stuff from Hype, Andy C, Marky, Torque compilation, Ed Rush & Optical-Wormhole and even the V recordings, Reprezent aso are IMO danceable drum&bass and not or only partly enjoyable for heady homelistening. Same game for the current liquid funk stuff from Calibre, Marcus Intalex, Hospital records aso and the drumfunk camp (Paradox, partly Photek aso - worth a try and the best you can currently buy, but perhaps not your cup of tea).

You should indeed try some mixtapes like the Kemistry&Storm DJ Kicks compilation just to check out, whether you like well done "dance" drum&bass. I can also recommend Doc Scott, because this guy is a really versatile DJ and does not exclusively focus on how to crash the dancefloor like Andy C and others.

However, I think you are more looking for "IDM" Drum&Bass. In this case, as others have mentioned, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, 4hero and the like are worth a try. The Plug - Drum and Bass for Papa Album - as mentioned above - is absolutely great.
    For a more ambient oriented approach I would recommend the Earth 1 compilation and the Logical Progression 1 compilation on good looking as well as Dj sets from LTJ Bukem.
    Hm, I will browse my collection and watch out for more...

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    these are both heavy and on the frantic side of things. but drums are extremely next level, especially compared to other dnb artists with similiar style. so i think you might be able to appretiate it.

cartridge - end of the world & cartridge - dark shadows

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

For a more ambient oriented approach I would recommend the Earth 1 compilation and the Logical Progression 1 compilation on good looking as well as Dj sets from LTJ Bukem.

Amen, Brother. I have limited knowledge of this genre, but used to love Logical Progressions. Shit still sounds hot from time to time.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Noone mentioned dilinja yet? He's on top of things in my book when it comes to drums..check out his "Phunk not funk" 12" under the name Insync II on dread recordings...also dj chrystl, who did some nice tracks...he even did an ep with smiley the ghetto child and some other rapper...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I know what you mean about getting that stuff played on a real kit. It gets jazzier than just a sped-up breakbeat. The best I've seen live is a girl called Cheryl Alleyne (UK) who was playing with Nicky Yeoh at the time (1999ish).

For some of the spacier less in-your-face stuff:

The last few Outside albums (on Dorado)
    Some of the 4-Hero stuff has a foot in that camp.

The last "D&B"-style thing I really rated was a tune on Beady Belle's "Cewbeggapic" set called [checks internet] "Wounded Pride" which I reckon would be right up your street. Strings, piano, acoustic bass and fantastic, organic kick and snare stuff.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What's D-n-B and Jungle?

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    phew...Tons of knowledge dropped.Thanks.This has been really helpful.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Noone mentioned dilinja yet?

I'm not looking for anything too frantic or "hard"

Armoured D is one of my fav. jungle/d&b tracks ever.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    What's D-n-B and Jungle?

Actually, that??s a serious question. It??s even more funny to ask what the difference between Drum&Bass and Jungle is, because the answers I got in the last 10 years were entertaining, simply weird and hilarious in most of the cases; e.g. something like "Jungle is more complex" or "Jungle is with MC support."

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    No Omni Trio mentions?

What's D-n-B and Jungle?

Actually, that??s a serious question. It??s even more funny to ask what the difference between Drum&Bass and Jungle is, because the answers I got in the last 10 years were entertaining, simply weird and hilarious in most of the cases; e.g. something like "Jungle is more complex" or "Jungle is with MC support."

Jungle was a term introduced by british journalists to give credit to the reggae elements in the music. alot of people hated that term (same story as with the word "triphop")...I remember before it was called "jungle", we simply listened to "Breakbeats" back in 92 and before that it was called "hardcore"...General Levy, who had a hit called "Wicked" with M-Beat at the time, mentioned in one interview something about being the king of the jungle and got very harsh reactions from some of the hardcore drumnbass cats so that his career came to a stop in the UK. Only recently he is back at it again....aahh, old stories...I used to be a big Drum'n Bass fan in the early to mid 90's....

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    What's D-n-B and Jungle?

Jungle was a term introduced by british journalists to give credit to the reggae elements in the music. alot of people hated that term (same story as with the word "triphop")...I remember before it was called "jungle", we simply listened to "Breakbeats" back in 92 and before that it was called "hardcore"...General Levy, who had a hit called "Wicked" with M-Beat at the time, mentioned in one interview something about being the king of the jungle and got very harsh reactions from some of the hardcore drumnbass cats so that his career came to a stop in the UK. Only recently he is back at it again....aahh, old stories...I used to be a big Drum'n Bass fan in the early to mid 90's....

Paul Ibiza and Mad P from Top Buzz might disagree on that

Paul Ibiza and Mad P from Top Buzz might disagree on that

who dem? well, maybe I wasnt such a big drum n bass head back then think I have heard the name top buzz...anyway, this should be played at high volume, preferably in a residential area:

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    AFAIK, Paul Ibiza started Ibiza records in 91, one of the 12s he put out was called Jungle Techno and got major play by DJ team Top Buzz, whose MC, Mad P, was Paul's brother. A lot of his MCing would mention "Jungle Techno" as the new form of hardcore/breakbeat techno and he would rap in Lahndon patois. There had already been some chart and underground hits by Rebel MC and others, but that was referred to as Ragga or Ragga Techno at the time. The Jungle label came from the Ibiza records tune of that name. This was before all the double time thing which would be known as DnB.

AFAIK, Paul Ibiza started Ibiza records in 91, one of the 12s he put out was called Jungle Techno and got major play by DJ team Top Buzz, whose MC, Mad P, was Paul's brother. A lot of his MCing would mention "Jungle Techno" as the new form of hardcore/breakbeat techno and he would rap in Lahndon patois. There had already been some chart and underground hits by Rebel MC and others, but that was referred to as Ragga or Ragga Techno at the time. The Jungle label came from the Ibiza records tune of that name. This was before all the double time thing which would be known as DnB.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    progbeatz: Im pretty much in the same boat, I dont know much about the genre, but I will say that the mixes here http://www.x13recordings.com/dubplates.html blew my fucking mind, most recently the "oldschool needs help" mix.

• progbeatz: Im pretty much in the same boat, I dont know much about the genre, but I will say that the mixes here http://www.x13recordings.com/dubplates.html blew my fucking mind, most recently the "oldschool needs help" mix.

ow, just downloaded. that shit is stoopid. thanks for the recommendation.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Amen, Brother. I have limited knowledge of this genre. Shit still sounds