Gill Scott-Heron Jailed

Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Just read this in NME, seems a little harsh in my view...
Veteran musician jailedGil Scott-Heron is sentenced for breaking a plea dealVeteran musician Gil Scott-Heron has been jailed for violating a a plea deal on a drug charge.The 57-year-old was sentenced to two to four years at New York's Queens Supreme Court after leaving the rehab clinic where he was being treated, reports the New York Post.Scott-Heron, who had a series of hits in the 70s including 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised' and 'The Bottle', told the court the drug treatment centre stopped giving him his HIV medication and since Scott-Heron is HIV positive, he left.But the court ruled that he violated his plea deal by leaving the centre he was placed in and he must now serve time in prison.

Comments

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    Sad to see this great man fucked up by drugs... quite unbelieveable as he was involded against drugs... Poor man!

• beatstew72beatstew72 314 Posts
    jailtime for drug addiction is not favorable...being an addict myself, living my current life among many many people in recovery, i see these repurcussions hanging above many a person's head and it makes me sad and angry. people need treatment, not jail...but, them's the rules i guess, so we pay for what we decide to do...

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    people need treatment, not jail...

It especially concerns me that he left because they were stopping his HIV treatment, why would they do that ???

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    people need treatment, not jail...

It especially concerns me that he left because they were stopping his HIV treatment, why would they do that ???

Who knows if that is actually true, a junkie/crackhead can spin a pretty good tale about how the world is screwing them when they need to. I've heard from people that attempted to promote a show featuring Mr. Heron, that he can be very difficult due to his addictions. I agree it's very sad, when of person of such major talent or person with no talent for that matter, can't keep it together. I've seen situations like this first hand and it can break your heart.

• the system is very effective in helping solve the problems of the human condition.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    I only heard about this last week, on a program on the BBC about him and his work, it's insane to jail him at his age, I wonder if it was Paul McCartney or someone like that would he be dealt within such a seemly harsh way.
    Why are they treating such an iconic man this way ?? no don't answer that i know why !

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I only heard about this last week, on a program on the BBC about him and his work, it's insane to jail him at his age, I wonder if it was Paul McCartney or someone like that would he be dealt within such a seemly harsh way.
    Why are they treating such an iconic man this way ?? no don't answer that i know why !

Someone's iconic status does not(or at least should not) allow them to be above the law....in his case it has undoubtedly been a double edged sword, I assume often a direct path to temptation and pleny of syncophants who will enable his self-sestructive behavior, as well as plenty of people who enjoy seeing the mighty fall.

I am as big a Gil Scott-heron booster as anyone, but this situation should not come as anything but all-too-familiar bad news for this once-great artist. Only he knows what has driven him to such extremes, but sometimes no rock bottom is hard enough to make someone change their ways. It's tragic that he is seemingly unable to either accept help or help himself. He seems like a man in need of something he'll never find.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts

Someone's iconic status does not(or at least should not) allow them to be above the law....in his case it has undoubtedly been a double edged sword, I assume often a direct path to temptation and pleny of syncophants who will enable his self-sestructive behavior, as well as plenty of people who enjoy seeing the mighty fall.

I am as big a Gil Scott-heron booster as anyone, but this situation should not come as anything but all-too-familiar bad news for this once-great artist. Only he knows what has driven him to such extremes, but sometimes no rock bottom is hard enough to make someone change their ways. It's tragic that he is seemingly unable to either accept help or help himself. He seems like a man in need of something he'll never find.

yeah, the program was kind of bias as you'd expect, details where sketchy, i agree that iconic status shouldn't make you above the law, it just seems that there seems to be one rule for some and another for other, that said from what i read he needs to help himself first, but still a crying shame.

• beatstew72beatstew72 314 Posts
    unfortunately, many people are consumed by addiction before a bottom can make the difference...there are thousands. recovery is for those who want it, not for those who need it. a sad but true situation. addiction doesn't care who the hell you are, it'll take whoever.

• gil has hiv?

• ExtraExtraExtraExtra 209 Posts
    he won't be put in general population anywhere with HIV correct?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    As far as I know, he's been an addict since the 70's. "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" is written from his own experience. Frankly, I am amazed he's managed to keep alive this long. I suppose it's a combination of having an addictive nature, and the time and money to indulge it.

BTW my ex was a drugs councillor. Her ex had run up a monster coke bill with some gangsters (something to aspire to kids - get rich or die tryin', OK? -sarcasm) and threw himself under a train.

Kids - never take on anyone with more baggage than you - life lesson free of charge from the J i m s t e r.