Washington D.C.

dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I accepted a job down in the D.C. area and would like to get to know fellow D.C. strutters. I have already been down to D.C. a couple times and met up with KnewJak and NightKrawler45 who have both been real good guys. So for the rest of you strutters...Introduce yourselves. I would definetly like to meet up with any people in the area since I pretty much know no one.If you don't mind...recommend me some record stores or places to check out. I might be mistaken but I heard a couple strutters have started their own store in the area?What are some good restaurants and bars?Are there any regular shows or events that are going down?I'm gonna be living in the Foggy Bottom area...so once my apartment is set up I will have to have people over.

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    welcome to dc dude!

holler at me on the pm, i'm in the mount pleasant area

-jacob

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i lived in foggy bottom from 99-01 and miss the whole city utmost
    check the favorite public places thread for some interesting um public places in the city
    other than that, i used to try to grub at the gospel brunch at one of the smithsonian museums on sundays
    and there used to be a great lil' 3 piece jazz show at columbia station in adam's morgan on friday nights. from what i recall from back in 2000, the drummer was bonkers!
    as for records, i would hit up a little book store with records in the back, but it wasn't too fruitful and so my ebay addiction was born

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    holiday - check the PM

mandrew - do you still live in the area? I'm glad you have positive things to say about the area. I got an apartment and didn't know too much about the area I was in, but from what everyone has told, it seems like a really cool place.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Welcome to the area, man.

I moved here in '98 from MN (by way of Vegas and Wyoming in between the move here). It is a unique place for sure. We currently live in Mt Rainier MD, on the border of NE DC, but we just put an offer on a house in the District (Rhode Island and South Dakota) so wether I like it or not, I am hopefully going to be a District resident once more. I love the house we are hoping we get, but there is something to be said for MD services! Even PG County!

As for Records...Som Records[/b] on 14th and T NW is Neville C's new cellar spot and it's a doozy. Neville is a certified record junkie and one of the city's Grand Master Diggers. If you are looking for something, let him know, he will make unflagging mental notes and you will curse youself for asking him for those grails because he just might get 'em and then money flies from your hand! Oh sweet agony! Neville's inventory seems to be growing with each visist and he has a TON of old sealed LPs, so check 'em out! His old partner still has Crooked Beat running up in Adam's Morgan, but that is probably best for your new/used CDs and rock gear.

Smash[/b] is run by the nicest record dude in town, Bobby, and is soon to be moving to who knows where from their long-standing Georgetown locale. Bobby specializes in Punk/Psych/Garage, but knows his onions with soul and Jazz....but he is also generous with his prices and has lots of inventory to dig through.

Memory Lane[/b] out in Suitland is the shit, and Marshall and Mike are knowledgeable and super friendly too...this is probably the most fun store for me to hang in for a while as I have known these cats for a while now (Marshall and I DJ together), and because of the characters that come in to the shop. Skip Mahoney (of Skip and the Casuals fame), The Biz, Rich Harrison, and the Godfather of Go Go Chuck Brown have all been seen at Memory Lane on Walters Lane. Not to mention the regulars cuttin' up like it's the local barbershop. If Soul, Funk and Jazz is your thing, this is your store. And their inventory of 45s and LPs is one of the largest around...bring money.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Another one bites the dust...

Ay P***, I'll see you out there. It's about time I went to visit D.C.

The way it's going, pretty soon, there will be no more Strutters in Michigan.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up Birdman. Seems like there's some good stuff out there so I'm pretty hyped.

Hope you get the house. My apartment is on 25th and K. I feel like I should have a night for strutters to come over, have a few beers, and spin some records.

I also believe I failed to mention that I will be down there on Tuesday. If anyone would like to help me move some things it'd be greatly appreciated

Birdman... Where do you spin? What do you spin?

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Another one bites the dust...

Ay P***, I'll see you out there. It's about time I went to visit D.C.

The way it's going, pretty soon, there will be no more Strutters in Michigan.

Unfortunately...things in the MI aren't looking too good. You know me, I would have loved to stay in Michigan but thats not the way things happened.

Gambit...as well as any other strutters I've met over the years... You're more than welcome to come over and crash at my place. ANYTIME. Just let me know what dates work for you. I'd be very happy to have friends come visit.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up Birdman. Seems like there's some good stuff out there so I'm pretty hyped.

Hope you get the house. My apartment is on 25th and K. I feel like I should have a night for strutters to come over, have a few beers, and spin some records.

I also believe I failed to mention that I will be down there on Tuesday. If anyone would like to help me move some things it'd be greatly appreciated

Birdman... Where do you spin? What do you spin?

Marshall (known on the boards by his DJ handle DC Digga) and I do the Jazz Corner on Wednesday nights from 7pm-10pm at St Ex on 14th and T (on the corner, about 1 door down from Som Records), NW DC. We also do a dance night at St Ex one Saturday a month, usually the 3rd Sat. Feel free to stop by on Wed night if you can...I will be starting at 6pm since the iPod night starts at 9pm this Wed.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Welcome! DC Rocks!!! I came here from Atlanta and Cleveland in 1988 and other than a year in LA have been here ever since. Other than the occassional Republican people here are friendly and amazingly diverse. Hit me up when you land and we can grab a beer. Too many nightlife and restaurant choices to list here. Records here too. Thanks Birdman for plugging my store. Got a nice write-up in the Washington Post today which has the address and phone etc.:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/06/AR2006070601578.html
    Cheers,
    Neville

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Just sent out a round of messages, so check it out.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    Let me know when you're back in town.....I've got Island Rum to ingest and beats to discuss. Just jump the Orange Line from Foggy to East F. Church.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Look HOT down thurrr.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

Look HOT down thurrr.

Bright lights, big city. Pic looked better at a half an inch tall.

• The way it's going, pretty soon, there will be no more Strutters in Michigan.

hmmmm...i might be coming back there sometime soon.

good luck on the new job and move P******* (greek heads know the deal).

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Look HOT down thurrr.

Bright lights, big city. Pic looked better at a half an inch tall.

Good thing the records are in plastic sleeves!

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Are there any regular shows or events that are going down?

Several strutters have DJ nights in DC:

Nitekrawler has a monthly funk 45 party called 'Heat' at Cafe Saint-Ex

DJ Neville C. & I host a monthly Thursday night called the Modernist Society, also at Cafe Saint-Ex. We spin hip-hop, funk, latin, breaks, etc.

Secret Chimp & I do an [occasionally regular] Thursday party called the 'Physics of Funk' at Science Club

DJ Holiday guests at Dave Nada & Meistro's Saturday night hip-hop/dancehall/Balto club monthly 'Oh Snap!' at the Wonderland Ballroom

Secret Chimp, Neville C & I all spin Fridays at Local 16. The crowd's straight-up B&T&A, but the tunes is top fuckin' quality funk, hip-hop, disco, breaks & dub.

There's probably more, but for now consider

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

DJ Neville C. & I host a monthly Thursday night called the Modernist Society, also at Cafe Saint-Ex. We spin hip-hop, funk, latin, breaks, etc.

Secret Chimp & I do an [occasionally regular] Thursday party called the 'Physics of Funk' at Science Club

DJ Holiday guests at Dave Nada & Meistro's Saturday night hip-hop/dancehall/Balto club monthly 'Oh Snap!' at the Wonderland Ballroom

Secret Chimp, Neville C & I all spin Fridays at Local 16. The crowd's straight-up B&T&A, but the tunes is top fuckin' quality funk, hip-hop, disco, breaks & dub.

Thanks for that plug my man, but lemme just fix a couple points:

-Holiday spins a night with Meistro every third Friday of the month called "Dirty Bombs", and I spin that Saturday at Wonderland with my "Breakin' Glass" night

-Meistro and Nada Spin "Oh Snap" every second Saturday of the month.

DC represent!

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Thanks for the plug man, but really that's Meistro and Nada's Party, I've only guested a couple of times. Meistro and I have another monthly party at Wonderland called Dirty Bombs on the third Fridays though.

I've also got an occasional night at Saint Ex playing disco, this month it's going to be on Monday the 17th.

edit: whoops, thanks K****, beat me to it

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Thanks for that plug my man, but lemme just fix a couple points:

-Holiday spins a night with Meistro every third Friday of the month called "Dirty Bombs", and I spin that Saturday at Wonderland with my "Breakin' Glass" night

-Meistro and Nada Spin "Oh Snap" every second Saturday of the month.

DC represent!

I knew I didn't shoot with 100% accuracy. Thanks for the clarification.

At any rate, quality shit abounds in the nation's capital.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    sorry we never got to connect in indy, p***. congrats on the job and the move. if im ever heading down to DC i will be looking you up. peace, c.