Cooley High Question

SonicReducerSonicReducer 421 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Just watched the film for the first time last night, been working on my Soul Cinema collection. I've had the soundtrack for years and felt it was time to see the movie. I really liked it.My question is this - is there any direct link between the movie and the television show "What's Happenin'". There are a lot of similarities but the movie takes place in 1964 while the television show was supposed to be current. Preach looks a hell of a lot like Raj (non-soulstrut Raj that is), his sister is very Dee, and even his mother looks and sounds like Momma from the TV show. The whole storyline of basically good kids get into ghetto adventures theme is in both of them too. But at the end of Cooley High, Preach heads out to Hollywood. Just wondering if antbody knew for sure.Deep beats and deep crates,SonicReducer(TEAMAARON)

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yeah, What's Happening was based on Cooley High. I believe it even says it if you watch the show's credits when it's going off.

• Thanks man, I never noticed that. I had the first season box set but had to sell it almost as soon as I got it a few months back when I needed some cash quick. For some reason I seem less attached to my TV box sets than my single disc movie DVDs.

SONIC

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    As soulman already said Cooley high was the inspiration for Whats Happening. Producer/ Writer Eric Monte did both shows and is one of the most amazing unsung heroes of TV & film in the 70's. He is also one of the creators of the TV show Good Times and left it in order to make Cooley high.

Cooley High is one of the greatest films of all time (IMO) Eric Monte is one of the main reasons I chose to enter into film I suggest that if you enjoy Cooley High and Whats Happening you should look into the first 2 seasons of Good Times if anything just to see how great they were compared to the show afer Monte left. During his tenure at the show they covered many tough and controversial topics such as the possibility of Jesus Chrst being a black man. Eric seemed to disappear after cooley high, a search in IMDB.com shows that he wrote on Moesha in the 90's and started out his writing/ TV career working on/ those amazing first few seasons of All in the Family. The whole idea of a wealthy black family (the Jefferesons) moving next door to the Bunkers was due to Monte.

I've often thought of giving Eric Monte an appreciation post for his great acheivements in both film and black pride through the 70's but I figured I'd be all alone in celebrating him.

• I've often thought of giving Eric Monte an appreciation post for his great acheivements in both film and black pride through the 70's but I figured I'd be all alone in celebrating him.

i don't follow...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    just figured he was more a personal hero than one that would be celerated by all. now that I think about it it is a pretty selfish reason not to pst up an appreciaiton of him. He is someone more people should be aware and appreciative of.

• I cant believe it..but I have never seen Coolie High. Its one one of the movies that I have known was dope since I was in middle school..but just never got around to seeing it.

On the other hand..I love me some Whats Happening..childhood memories

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Coolie High is a great film. That ending scene with Preach running while "Reach Out" is playing gets me everytime.

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    is that the original acetate?

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts
    is that the original acetate?

Yeah, Dixon's edit of the 'Two Pigs...' drum break on 10" acetate, pretty raw

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Cooley High is one of the greatest films of all time (IMO)

Coolie High is a great film. That ending scene with Preach running while "Reach Out" is playing gets me everytime.