Anyone know/collect early 80s Sub-Pop comps?

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I am trying to find out if "Mechanical Servants[/b]" was ever featured on one of the first sub-pop compilations released in the early 80s (possibly 1981). I've been in contact with one of the singers and told her I would help her find out.Does anyone have track listings for these compilations? Personally, I didn't even know sub-pop was releasing anything that early. But apparently Pamela from Mechanical Servants was contacted by the main dude (I forget his name) to have one of their songs put on a comp and she can't remember if it was a special song made for the comp or just one off their EP.Can anyone help me / Pamela out with tracklistings or even finding one of these compilations?Thanks.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    This is from Wikipedia, could have been included on one of the cassette issues??

Sub Pop was started by Bruce Pavitt in 1980 as a fanzine called Subterranean Pop (which was changed to Sub Pop starting with the 2nd issue). Inspired by the cassette fanzine Fast Forward, Sub Pop began alternating issues with compilation tapes of American bands (though several foreign bands did appear on Sub Pop cassettes). There were nine issues of Sub Pop in all: six magazines and three cassettes (issues 5, 7, and 9). After issue 9, Sub Pop switched to an all-cassette format (cassettes featured early cover artwork by cartoonists Charles Burns and Peter Bagge), but the project was scuttled by the amount of work required to continue it. It continued as a column in the Seattle newspaper The Rocket for several more years.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Thanks, I should have tried wiki first.

It was definitely on a cassette comp and must have been one of those early releases (possibly with the zine although I'm not sure).

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Mechanical Servants aren't on issue 5 but I can't find tracklistings for #7 & 9 or the later ones.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Mechanical Servants aren't on issue 5 but I can't find tracklistings for #7 & 9 or the later ones.
    Thanks. That narrows it down a little bit.

Anyone else b/w bump.