Albums like Joao Gilberto's white album

AaronAaron 977 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
This one.A man (or woman), his voice, his guitar, minimal percussion if any. Minimal strings would be acceptable.Anyone have any recommendations? Not like I'll ever tire of this album, but I want some more like it.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    try some of the vinicius/toquinho stuff

toquinho is an amazing guitarist and vinicius well...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    like jose feliciano?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    no offense to you or Jose Feliciano but he is not in the same building - not even the same galaxy - as that Gilberto LP.

I love Caetano "Transa" and "Joia" for minimal orchestration and great songwriting. But really, there is not much out there fucking with that Gilberto LP.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    there is not much out there fucking with that Gilberto LP.

major cosign.

although despite their [much] later recording dates, some of Gilberto's other 'solo' (voice + guitar) albums are utterly sublime as well and definitely not worth sleeping-
    Live in Montreux (80s?), and
    Voz e Violao (early 2000s?)

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

I'm looking at these two on Dusty Groove. Are they nice ones?

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

I'm looking at these two on Dusty Groove. Are they nice ones?

yeah actually (imo) that Caetano is real dope- a really cool cover of 'Billie Jean' (!) as well as other graet tunes.

don't know about the other one.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    so many records come to name Carlinhos Brown and Nana Vasconcelos on percussion, and Gilberto Gil and Paulinho da Viola and Baden Powell (I guess no singing) and Milton Nascimento and all that kind of shit but yeah, that joao gilberto s/t is heavy. I got this Gilberto Gil with Jorge Ben record the other day and it's pretty silly, they're just singing funny harmonies and playing some fun stuff, I like it.