Racial topic: What do struters think of this?

2»

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    When speaking with black people in business I've been addressed as "sir" and always thought it was unnecessary. Almost odd in a way especially when being addressed by someone clearly much older than myself. I'd rather just be called by my first name.

I remember once at my old job we were interviewing people for a position and a black man applied. His credentials were amazing and he was over qualified to say the least. A complete professional and dressed and acted accordingly. Anyway, I loved him and he was my top pick. I told my boss that I thought he was great. He said I was suffering from "white guilt". I felt deeply insulted. Not only at his clearly racist comment but that he thought so little of my judgement that I'd pick someone under-qualified simply because of their race or my "guilt". I mean, this guy was exceptional with a stellar resume.

We ended up offering him the job at my insistence. He turned down our offer though probably finding a better job elsewhere. He seemed like the kind of guy that could easily impress and climb a corporate ladder whereas our small company didn't even have a ladder to climb.

My boss traveled the world, lived in many countries, spoke three or four languages, and was even married to a Filipino women. It just shocked me that such a cultured person could make such an insulting and racist comment to me.

I'm actually getting pretty heated just thinking about this.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    is Guzzo banned ?

HI J****l

ain't really got much to say on this topic, it's not a shock that people change their way of acting when in certain situations, I don't know how everyone else really gets down in terms of social actions but I've learned long ago that the way I was not raised to "act white" and coming from a welfare background I'd say theres a good amount of people who can say the same regardless of color.

What does welfare have to do with this? I've read this post three times and it doesn't make any sense.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    is Guzzo banned ?

HI J****l

ain't really got much to say on this topic, it's not a shock that people change their way of acting when in certain situations, I don't know how everyone else really gets down in terms of social actions but I've learned long ago that the way I was not raised to "act white" and coming from a welfare background I'd say theres a good amount of people who can say the same regardless of color.

What does welfare have to do with this? I've read this post three times and it doesn't make any sense.

nothing

• is Guzzo banned ?

HI J****l

nothing

it doesn't have much to do with the original article, but it has a lot to do with people using terms like "Act white"

alongside a primitive idea like acting a color is the more realistic and less racist idea of acting your social class.

would people not say your social class and enviroment may have more of a determination on your actions than the color of your skin?

anyways I'm not trying to pick a fight, I tried to make my post kind of light hearted with a genuine guzzo twist. If folks want to get into a 5 page race war please to count me out

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    There IS such a thing as "acting white" ......but it has very little to do with speech and articulation ......the way a person speaks is only the initial sign ...so, when someone says "you actin' white" of course, the offender and "clueless white people" will say some silly,condescending shit like "why,because i speak proper english ?" .......

NO,not at all .....it involves demeanor,its your method of interaction,its your style,its your speaking tone,posture,your level of compromise ....etc

its obvious when an African American was raised around all white families (and this person is always excused by blacks)... they speak like "Becky" but they interact with "Becky" as an EQUAL human being ....the African American who "acts white" is submissive in his/her interaction with whites and tend to believe superiority over "less educated" blacks .....instead of helping their failing classmates ,they distance themselves or dismiss them

so.....when Whites say "They're only saying that because you speak proper english.........." ......you have no idea what you are talking about

and to the Blacks that say "Just because i speak proper english ....." .........maybe you need to do a little soul searching and re-evaluate how you interact with your folks and white folks ......

peace.....

and please to not get ass hurt .....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Whenever I hang out with some brits, I end up using a bit of an accent and brit terms... It comes from living there and visiting alot.

Never fails... Fuckin' ending everything with "Ya know wot I mean???"

I start to call everything biscuits instead of cookies too...

Whatever happened to our biscuits thread? Too white?

• There IS such a thing as "acting white" ......but it has very little to do with speech and articulation ......the way a person speaks is only the initial sign ...so, when someone says "you actin' white" of course, the offender and "clueless white people" will say some silly,condescending shit like "why,because i speak proper english ?" .......

NO,not at all .....it involves demeanor,its your method of interaction,its your style,its your speaking tone,posture,your level of compromise ....etc

its obvious when an African American was raised around all white families (and this person is always excused by blacks)... they speak like "Becky" but they interact with "Becky" as an EQUAL human being ....the African American who "acts white" is submissive in his/her interaction with whites and tend to believe superiority over "less educated" blacks .....instead of helping their failing classmates ,they distance themselves or dismiss them

so.....when Whites say "They're only saying that because you speak proper english.........." ......you have no idea what you are talking about

and to the Blacks that say "Just because i speak proper english ....." .........maybe you need to do a little soul searching and re-evaluate how you interact with your folks and white folks ......

peace.....

and please to not get ass hurt .....

i dont the correlation between posture and tone here regarding skin color...

also, the issue is not race but class....Colin Powell or Condy or any other highly educated person, regardless of skin color, is never going to feel equal with someone who didnt graduate from an ivy league school...money, education and status are far greater facets of division than skin color.....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

also, the issue is not race but class....Colin Powell or Condy or any other highly educated person, regardless of skin color, is never going to feel equal with someone who didnt graduate from an ivy league school...money, education and status are far greater facets of division than skin color.....

No, you little dudes, the issue here is race. That is what is being discussed in this thread--if you want to discuss class so badly, perhaps you should start a thread of your own.

But before you do, take a moment to consider that "class," "money," "education," "status" and whatever other factors you want to introduce might all be functions of, and proxies for, race. And then take a further moment to think about why it is that you're so damn hostile to even thinking about race.

I have a barbecue to go to now.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

No, you little dudes, the issue here is race. That is what is being discussed in this thread--if you want to discuss class so badly, perhaps you should start a thread of your own.

But before you do, take a moment to consider that "class," "money," "education," "status" and whatever other factors you want to introduce might all be functions of, and proxies for, race. And then take a further moment to think about why it is that you're so damn hostile to even thinking about race.

Hey,

Faux is dead-on here. A lot of research shows that even when you account for class, education, and the like, there are still large disparities between Blacks and Whites in terms of occupational attainment, annual salary, neighborhood quality, spatial attainment (i.e., gaining access to high-quality, predominately-White suburban neighborhoods when one's class allows it), life satisfaction, job satisfaction, psychological well-being, and mortality. It's deeper than speaking properly, buying a Jag, and getting a good job. It's about an institutional system that works to the detriment of a group of people. The kicker is that these same folks, and a majority of them, endorse the values of meritocracy and equal opportunity; yet, it is oxymoronic that these values do not apply when considering attitudes about and opportunities for Blacks. Why? I spoke on this in an earlier post. There is a general disdain for Black folks that cuts across class, geography, political ideology, gender, occupational level, education, and so many other controls. I'm quoting very large-scale, national polling studies that bear out the divisive attitudes. I find this very disheartening that in a modern age, you still have such base-level hatred of a group of people simply based on a social classification such as race.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Hey,

Faux is dead-on here. A lot of research shows that even when you account for class, education, and the like, there are still large disparities between Blacks and Whites in terms of occupational attainment, annual salary, neighborhood quality, spatial attainment (i.e., gaining access to high-quality, predominately-White suburban neighborhoods when one's class allows it), life satisfaction, job satisfaction, psychological well-being, and mortality. It's deeper than speaking properly, buying a Jag, and getting a good job. It's about an institutional system that works to the detriment of a group of people. The kicker is that these same folks, and a majority of them, endorse the values of meritocracy and equal opportunity; yet, it is oxymoronic that these values do not apply when considering attitudes about and opportunities for Blacks. Why? I spoke on this in an earlier post. There is a general disdain for Black folks that cuts across class, geography, political ideology, gender, occupational level, education, and so many other controls. I'm quoting very large-scale, national polling studies that bear out the divisive attitudes. I find this very disheartening that in a modern age, you still have such base-level hatred of a group of people simply based on a social classification such as race.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I am not doubting anything you have stated Stacks. One question tho. Does it work in reverse?

Also, I am in no way trying to lower the debate or facts in any way of the topic at hand. Just a side question towards you. I am also a pretty big guy. But I find sometimes in the "work" world, people can tend to be put off by just my size, until they know me. This is also a thing I find out in the so called "real world"

Size whether large or really small, can make people act wayyyy different to you. I'm not going to get into weight either... Cause thats just a whole bigger issue.

Way off topic... But I just read this (It's a bit old). Things like this worry me.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10357510

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I heard a lot of the same comments re: Katrina.

"It's not an issue of race, but class."

"Oh, so that class of people who were ignored and left to die just happened to be mostly Black..."

"It's not about race! It's a class issue! A CLASS ISSUE!"

I think the middle class is starting to crack.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

I am not doubting anything you have stated Stacks. One question tho. Does it work in reverse?

Hey DOR,

As far as racial attitudes go, sure it works in reverse, though to a weaker extent. That is, Whites racial attitudes toward Blacks is more negative than the reverse. Plus, sociopolitically, Blacks' racial attitudes are less potent given that they have little control of institutions in American society. Sure, it doesn't justify such attitudes (prejudice is bad no matter the perpetrator), but its ramifications will vary based on power/social status. Be that as it may, the statistics I cited are very damaging for Blacks in terms of achievement as well as physical and psychological well-being. Sadly, this is in juxtaposition to widely held, national values of meritocracy and equal opportunity which racism clearly violates. This breed the sort of "cultural mistrust" that John Dovidio and his colleagues research and talk about (i.e., aversive racism). It perpetuates a psychological gulf between the races due to hypocritical behavior; hence, the disdain I have for "pseudoliberals".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Also, I am in no way trying to lower the debate or facts in any way of the topic at hand. Just a side question towards you. I am also a pretty big guy. But I find sometimes in the "work" world, people can tend to be put off by just my size, until they know me. This is also a thing I find out in the so called "real world"

Size whether large or really small, can make people act wayyyy different to you. I'm not going to get into weight either... Cause thats just a whole bigger issue.

Way off topic... But I just read this (It's a bit old). Things like this worry me.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10357510

My step-brother is 6' 10", and very muscular. He walked into a temp agency to get a job a couple of years ago and they hired him immediately... to work at the agency. He started out hiring temp workers and quickly moved up to manager. He then transfered to another agency in an even higher position, hiring people to work in the Intel factory. Then Intel hired him on as a low-level manager. Then they promoted him to mid-level management.

This was all in the course of two years. He's no slouch, but I know his level of ambition, and it's clear that these jobs were offered to him, as opposed to being actively pursued by him. He also isn't the type to "tone down" his general demeanor. Of course, he's also blond, blue-eyed and has traditionally anglo-saxon good looks.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

That is, Whites racial attitudes toward Blacks is more negative than the reverse.

Speak for your own damn self.
    That certainly has not been MY experience throughout my life.

• also, the issue is not race but class....Colin Powell or Condy or any other highly educated person, regardless of skin color, is never going to feel equal with someone who didnt graduate from an ivy league school...money, education and status are far greater facets of division than skin color.....

normally, id let this dead horse die its proper death, but not before i give it one last whippin....

fact: teh essential biological meaning of race is a population of humans classified on the basis of certain hereditary characteristics that differentiate them from other human groups...its a way of pigeonhling human physical types, which is extremely difficult due to the fact taht we can interbreed...therefore the notion of race as a biological concept is erroneous...

however, there is the social meaning of race in which people attach signifacance to the concept of race and consider it real and an important division of humanity...and as long as people believe in those differences they will ACT on those beliefs....if men define situations as real they are real in their consequences...this leads to what is known as the 'self-fulfilling prophecy' in sociology....

peace

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

normally, id let this dead horse die its proper death, but not before i give it one last whippin....

fact: teh essential biological meaning of race is a population of humans classified on the basis of certain hereditary characteristics that differentiate them from other human groups...its a way of pigeonhling human physical types, which is extremely difficult due to the fact taht we can interbreed...therefore the notion of race as a biological concept is erroneous...

however, there is the social meaning of race in which people attach signifacance to the concept of race and consider it real and an important division of humanity...and as long as people believe in those differences they will ACT on those beliefs....if men define situations as real they are real in their consequences...this leads to what is known as the 'self-fulfilling prophecy' in sociology....

peace

Game over? I predict extra innings and no sudden death.

That is, Whites racial attitudes toward Blacks is more negative than the reverse.

Speak for your own damn self.
    That certainly has not been MY experience throughout my life.

Hey Paul,

Don't slay the messenger. I'm only citing years of national, randomly-sampled, polling data of U.S. adults on the subject. In attempt to address the subject scientifically, I cite research instead of my own opinion. There are always exceptions (my wife always brings them up), but I'm speaking of general societal trends in attitudes and values.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

peace

What are you going on about?

Do you think the idea that race is a social construct is a newsflash to anybody?

We're trying to talk about the real world here, not some idealized world inside your mindgarden where the concept of race no longer exists.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Hello,

As a white man, I'd be happy to explain the Black experience to anybody who has questions. I understand it might be a little uncomfortable asking me when there are obviously real black people reading this thread. So if you have any questions you can hit me up on the PM.

-Dizzy

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Hello,

As a white man, I'd be happy to explain the Black experience to anybody who has questions. I understand it might be a little uncomfortable asking me when there are obviously real black people reading this thread. So if you have any questions you can hit me up on the PM.

-Dizzy
    zing!

Dude, why would you try to explain this to these people? You know how it goes. One month One week from now, someone else will start a thread or post a comment explaining "the Black experience". Even though they're not Black.

life satisfaction

New Reynaldo catchphrase?

Usage: How do you ever expect to attain life satisfaction with a monthly record allowance of only $1000?

Or: Your supposed life satisfaction cannot be objectively supported--nobody important has ever heard of you!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    1 thing i should mention.

Tall folks are much more likely to succeed in the corporate world. In general. I don't question that being black certainly complicates this, but just saying that people tend to respect tall folks more than average or short people. There's some Malcolm Gladwell article where he cites a study that says the vast majority of fortune 500 CEOs are over 6 feet. (average male height = 5'9") Of course, the vast majority of fortune 500 CEOs are also white and male.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    1 thing i should mention.

Tall folks are much more likely to succeed in the corporate world. In general. I don't question that being black certainly complicates this, but just saying that people tend to respect tall folks more than average or short people. There's some Malcolm Gladwell article where he cites a study that says the vast majority of fortune 500 CEOs are over 6 feet. (average male height = 5'9") Of course, the vast majority of fortune 500 CEOs are also white and male.

I had also read an article where it was cited that some "study" showed that, when asked to pick a potential mate, they chose tall men over all kind of other factors. Like picking a tall laborer over a shorter CEO and things like that. Being 6'4" I could add my own personal experiences support this, but I'm also smart, successful and incredibly good looking so that probably effects the results.