Sellers: Taping seams?

bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Say you've got an LP worth a decent chunk of change that you wanna unload on the 'bay, and its in nice shape overall but a seam is split all the wayDo you do a nice neat little tape job across it and note in the descrip, or do you let that shit look all ragged and nastyI'm thinking it would help my bottom line to tape?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Say you've got an LP worth a decent chunk of change that you wanna unload on the 'bay, and its in nice shape overall but a seam is split all the way

Do you do a nice neat little tape job across it and note in the descrip, or do you let that shit look all ragged and nasty

I'm thinking it would help my bottom line to tape?

If you do tape it do it from the inside and use brown paper tape. You still should note it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Taping is a no.

Say it's split and let the buyer decide whether to tape.

"Top seam spilt across" sounds better than "top seam held together by clear tape"

Any valuable album that's split I don't tape for myself -
    I just store the album outside the cover in the plastic sleeve
    and leave the split alone.

Worthless albums that are split I usually tape, though.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    on a similiar note...what about when the cover doesn't become seam split but the glue comes undone so it's basically split? i sometimes elmer glue it back together.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    on a similiar note...what about when the cover doesn't become seam split but the glue comes undone so it's basically split? i sometimes elmer glue it back together.

i definitely glue that shit back together. i never tape seams though.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i guarantee you some great collectros in the world have some sort of shit to detect elmers glue and will smell that shit to see if you glued it back together

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Taping is a good look to me, I'd rather it be taped an providing better protection for the platter that ripped and hurting the real reason why most cop it in the first place... i.e. the music on the record... repair should always be noted...

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    when selling an item you should NEVER tape the seams. Personally i just don't get why a due would want a split seam rather than a nicely taped and properly presented cover, but that is just the way it is.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    In the same forum where records are often referred to as "pieces", like they were some sort of high art objects, we have people talking about taping seams.

A "nicely taped and properly presented cover" will look like shit in a few years.

Leave the covers alone, por favor