scientists agree with Al Gore

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060627/ap_on_sc/gore_s_scienceI know this subject has been debated here, but for all the doubters, can you really argue with a consensus opinion, taken from a neutral source (the AP), of a hundred scientists?unrelated, but did Warren Buffet find god? first he helps fund Kerry's campaign, now he donates $37 billion to Gates' charity.

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    meh

"Most scientists had not seen the movie, which is in limited release, or read the book."

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

unrelated, but did Warren Buffet find god? first he helps fund Kerry's campaign, now he donates $37 billion to Gates' charity.

the sage has been talking publically about social responsibility and giving back for about 5-10 years now (in his yearly letters to Berkshire Stockholders). I suspect it comes with age (realizing you can't take it with you), but it is not a new phenomenom for him.

also, interesting article in this weeks Economist about how philanthropy lags behind business in effeciencies. It suggested that this new group of philanthorpists may be more shrewd at making sure their money goes further than in times past.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060627/ap_on_sc/gore_s_science

I know this subject has been debated here, but for all the doubters, can you really argue with a consensus opinion, taken from a neutral source (the AP), of a hundred scientists?

19. The other 81 hadn't seen the movie. Personally I have a tough time trusting Al Gore. This is a man who helped keep those Iraqi sanctions in place for all those years killing over a million Iraqi civillians. Slightly less evil that Bush he may be but he's still evil and incredibly .

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

meh

"Most scientists had not seen the movie, which is in limited release, or read the book."

feel free to post the whole quote:

The AP contacted more than 100 top climate researchers by e-mail and phone for their opinion. Among those contacted were vocal skeptics of climate change theory. Most scientists had not seen the movie, which is in limited release, or read the book.

But those who have seen it had the same general impression: Gore conveyed the science correctly;[/b] the world is getting hotter and it is a manmade catastrophe-in-the-making caused by the burning of fossil fuels.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    if you get a moment... bolton v gore

pdf of an article that came out about Bolton vs. Gore

To me, it is this type of debate that really muddles figuring out a solution. Basically, it's too hard to do something, so lets' do nothing.

very interesting.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    meh

dude - I understand you're a Bush supporter, but come on - you're not even a little concerned about the environment? Are you one of those people that just follows every point of view the consesus of your particular political party believes?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Regardless of whether you believe Al Gore or not ask yourself this question....

Does Al Gore himself believe the Global Warming horror stories he's been telling for at least 12 years....

And if he does, why does he take fossil fuel mega-burning Limos to his speaking engagements or why did he get a speeding ticket in 2004 driving his rented gas guzzling Lincoln Town Car???

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    meh

dude - I understand you're a Bush supporter, but come on - you're not even a little concerned about the environment? Are you one of those people that just follows every point of view the consesus of your particular political party believes?

This is not about science.

This is not about the enviorment.

This is not about climate change.

This is not about fossil fuels.

This is about Al Gore.

Saba hates him, thus he is oppossed to anything that Al Gore says. If Gore asked him to watch out for the falling piano he would open an unbrella.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Does Al Gore himself believe the Global Warming horror stories he's been telling for at least 12 years....

And if he does, why does he take fossil fuel mega-burning Limos to his speaking engagements or why did he get a speeding ticket in 2004 driving his rented gas guzzling Lincoln Town Car???

because private commuter emmisions are a drop in the bucket.

Because the secret service wont let him take the subway?

Ask yourself this. If George Bush does not believe in climate change why did he say he did when running for president in 2000? Why did he ask the presidents scientific advisor board to confirm climate change? Why did he ignore their findings? Why did he put together a special panel to study cliamte change? Why did he ignore their findings?

Is it because he cares more about big business than he cares about our country? Finally, you seem like a smart guy, why do you want to suck Bush's dick?

I just figured if he lead by example he'd have a Hybrid .....plenty of "common" folks have 'em.

I just figured if he lead by example he'd have a Hybrid .....plenty of "common" folks have 'em.

Now you are starting to sound like a pea brain with all your hatred for Gore. Folks like me are forced to make personal choices to effect climate change because we have no influence on policy. Gore can have influence on policy, which is far more powerful than the few gallons he would save by pilling into a hybrid full of secret service agents.

Why the hate for Gore?

Ask yourself this. If George Bush does not believe in climate change why did he say he did when running for president in 2000? Why did he ask the presidents scientific advisor board to confirm climate change? Why did he ignore their findings? Why did he put together a special panel to study cliamte change? Why did he ignore their findings?

Is it because he cares more about big business than he cares about our country? Finally, you seem like a smart guy, why do you want to suck Bush's dick?

Why is George Bush even mentioned in this thread other than a default position?

How is questioning Gore's integrity sucking Bush's dick???

Is this some of that "You're either with us or your against us" mentality??

Gore is a politician and that alone makes me skepical.

Armand Hammer was one of his biggest campaign supporters(Occidental Petroleum) when he was still alive.

Gore continued to accept and cash checks from his family's Tobacco Farms years after his own sister died of lung cancer and he became an outspoken opponent to the Cigarette Industry.

Certainly you recognize that Al has a dick and SOMEONE is sucking it.

After all, he's a professional politician.

Now you are starting to sound like a pea brain with all your hatred for Gore. Folks like me are forced to make personal choices to effect climate change because we have no influence on policy. Gore can have influence on policy, which is far more powerful than the few gallons he would save by pilling into a hybrid full of secret service agents.

Why the hate for Gore?

Fair enough...so in Gore's 8 years as VP what was his biggest policy accomplishment in regards to Global Warming??

Why the hate for Gore?

You don't see the hypocrisy in Al Gore suggesting that we do make personal choices to help the problem and then renting a Lincoln Town car and speeding. According to the ticket he was by himself, no Secret Service agents to be found.

Pointing out Gore's hypocrisy is not a vote for George Bush...you're a smart guy, why can't YOU see that??

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I think the good Gore's film could do pretty much outweighs the speeding ticket and choice of vehicle.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3502867.stm

I bring this up not to be against Bush/ for Gore, I'm for neither. But I'd like to point out that to much of the world 'climate change' is seen as fact. It's only in the US that it's all "controversial". Most Scientists agree it's going on. Scientists may agree with Al Gore, but he agreed with them first. This comes out of decades of scientific observation/ research. It only entered politics with initiatives to curb emissions,etc.

I think the good Gore's film could do pretty much outweighs the speeding ticket and choice of vehicle.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees.

Yep...just like those Keith Richards Anti-Drug PSA's

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Lawd, back to Al...

Doesn't one round trip in his private jet = 1 year of SUV usage?

But he is buying CO2 credits... But then, isn't that just sending companies the "If you pollute or waste energy, just buy CO2 credits" message?

http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2006/05/09/roberts/

"Question - There's a lot of debate right now over the best way to communicate about global warming and get people motivated. Do you scare people or give them hope? What's the right mix?

Answer - I think the answer to that depends on where your audience's head is. In the United States of America, unfortunately we still live in a bubble of unreality. And the Category 5 denial is an enormous obstacle to any discussion of solutions. Nobody is interested in solutions if they don't think there's a problem. Given that starting point, I believe it is appropriate to have an over-representation of factual presentations on how dangerous it is,[/b] as a predicate for opening up the audience to listen to what the solutions are, and how hopeful it is that we are going to solve this crisis."

Huh???

OH yeah... FUCK BUSH!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Listen to this report. Here's two scientists who study the ice caps. They say that we are going to see the effects of global warming on the ice caps not in 100 years+ but within our lifetimes, i.e. 50 years or less.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5498885

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Why the hate for Gore?

Isn't the whole idea that, collectively, we can all make a difference?
    Sorry, but until very recently, only after being called out by critics - and rightfully so - the man was doing much of his traveling on private jets, which emit more crap in one cross country flight than I would in my little Honda in over a year.
    So yes, he SHOULD lead by example. Particularly since he so self-righteously tells the rest of us that we all need to make changes in our lives by no longer doing the very things that he still does.
    Hate / schmate. Colossal hypocrisy is more like it.

To which end, I cosigningly agree with Rock's assessment of Gore's 8 year inactivity on the subject.

And for him to say that politics has nothing to do with it is pretty fucking funny.

"Fair enough...so in Gore's 8 years as VP what was his biggest policy accomplishment in regards to Global Warming??

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    What I'm getting from this thread is that the environment doesn't really matter, nor do scientific ideas about whether global warming is real or not, and its effects, causes, etc. The REAL issue here is whether people like Al Gore or not.[/b]

Why is George Bush even mentioned in this thread other than a default position?

How is questioning Gore's integrity sucking Bush's dick???

It is clear that your beef is with Gore, not with climate change which you have admitted is real and that humans contribute to it. Yet you keep coming on here attacking Gore. I've also seen you attack lots of other politicians and individuals who are not in the Bush camp. But I've never heard you critize Bush or Ann Colter. Seems clear to me who's dick you are sucking.

Is this some of that "You're either with us or your against us" mentality??

No this is some explain your hatred metality. You don't disagree with Gore, you just like to attack him. Why?

Gore is a politician and that alone makes me skepical.

Yet you never have a skeptical word toward Bush and his cronies? Why?

Armand Hammer was one of his biggest campaign supporters(Occidental Petroleum) when he was still alive.

Gore continued to accept and cash checks from his family's Tobacco Farms years after his own sister died of lung cancer and he became an outspoken opponent to the Cigarette Industry.

Certainly you recognize that Al has a dick and SOMEONE is sucking it.

After all, he's a professional politician.

All the sudden it is about Armand Hammer and tobacco? Blood money is a stupid concept, but if you want to argue about it start a blood money thread. This is a cliamte change thread, but you have to change it to a "I Hate AL Gore" thread?

If you love Ann Colter and Bush and Co don't be ashamed to say so.

If you hate Al Gore, tell us why.

PS: He rented the Town Car because it gets better milage than the Humvee or Cadillac limo. If he had rented a hybrid you would be bitching he didn't take a solar car.

What I'm getting from this thread is that the environment doesn't really matter, nor do scientific ideas about whether global warming is real or not, and its effects, causes, etc. The REAL issue here is whether people like Al Gore or not.[/b]

Two separate issues...the Environment is important, Global Warming has been around since the beginning of time, Nature > Humans.....the Industrial Age helped speed up Global Warming to a certain, unknown degree and while we all enjoy the fruits of these Industries we must take steps to minimize what our anti-environmental contributions will be in the future......and Al Gore is a grandstanding, hypocritical moron that made no changes while he was IN office, and is now asking all of America to make lifestyle changes while he doesn't.

And "55 million years ago an area near the North Pole was practically a subtropical paradise."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060531/D8HUVKSO0.html

But anyways, I'm not here trying to debate global warming. Just Gore's motives and his listen to me and do as I say, not as I do attitude.

http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2006/05/09/roberts/

"Question - There's a lot of debate right now over the best way to communicate about global warming and get people motivated. Do you scare people or give them hope? What's the right mix?

Answer - I think the answer to that depends on where your audience's head is. In the United States of America, unfortunately we still live in a bubble of unreality. And the Category 5 denial is an enormous obstacle to any discussion of solutions. Nobody is interested in solutions if they don't think there's a problem. Given that starting point, I believe it is appropriate to have an over-representation of factual presentations on how dangerous it is,[/b] as a predicate for opening up the audience to listen to what the solutions are, and how hopeful it is that we are going to solve this crisis."

Laserwolf,
    If you haven't seen me rip on the Religious Right, Rush Limbaugh's of the world and all professional politicians in general I don't know what the fuck you've been reading of mine. I do try to avoid the obligatory daily Bush Gang Bang and if that makes me a Bush supporter in someone's eyes so be it.

You haven't seen me comment on the likes of Coulter, Garafalo, Franken, Savage, etc. etc. because they are irrational, irrelevant, cartoon characters who resemble automatrons more than humans and who's sole purpose is to agitate.

I don't hate Al Gore the person.....he's got the same crappy life as the rest of us, a son who get's busted for dope, a wife who wants to censor the Music Industry and a couple of hot daughters that must be a handful.....he's probably as nice a guy as you can be after living the life of a professional politician.

But his Traveling Doom & Gloom Sideshow Act annoys the hell out of me....for reasons I've posted both in this and previous threads.

Writing my opinions off as "You Hate Al" is weak sauce.

and Al Gore is a grandstanding, hypocritical moron that made no changes while he was IN office, and is now asking all of America to make lifestyle changes while he doesn't.

Kyoto and Rio, Idiot. Rio was negotiated in part by Gore, Kyoto by the first Bush. He tried to get them implemented when he was in office.

Bush backed out of them once he was in office, even though he said he supported them while running. If you want to hate on a sleazy politician you can't get sleazier than those kinds of lies.

You of course know this but resort to lies to make Gore look bad. Why do you hate Gore?