Couple new Shadow tracks...

wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Just found these 2 tracks courtesy of solesides.com. First one is really good, the other one with Q-Tip & Lateef is blehhhh. Probably how most people will feel about his new album I'm guessing. Or maybe they will age well. What's the word?This Time (I'm Gonna Try It My Way) Enuff

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Hi wescoasia, thanks for the effort but

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Just found these 2 tracks courtesy of solesides.com. First one is really good, the other one with Q-Tip & Lateef is blehhhh. Probably how most people will feel about his new album I'm guessing. Or maybe they will age well. What's the word?

This Time (I'm Gonna Try It My Way)

Enuff

First one pretty cool, just sounds like an old track though not really fresh at all. Did he get many live musicians for this project?

Second track is . I'm sure this album will grow on me like all his other stuff.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    "This Time" is pretty good but sounds like mid-90s UK acid jazz, while "Enuff" sounds like a UK producer in 2003 imitating the Neptunes.

Are these really Shadow? In any event, with this kind of British-sounding stuff, he should have a fine career as a BBC radio guest DJ. (edit) Oh wait he already does.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    "This Time" is pretty good but sounds like mid-90s UK acid jazz, while "Enuff" sounds like a UK producer in 2003 imitating the Neptunes.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

in a major way. I'd really like to know what he did here. It sounds pretty nuts if he didn't jack huge parts of a song and add drums.

This one sounds more than a likkle bit chi chi penniston.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    are any of these tracks instrumental? want to listen to something new at work..

• i like the first track. sounds like the new classic formula but so what. can we seriously talk bout how it reminds me of the six days track w/ little baby huey hard times styling. the main question is whether or not it's a sessions track with live players. as for the second track maybe not as memorable but it think its PR.
    yes no maybe.

SL

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    Post deleted by wescoasia

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts

This Time (I'm Gonna Try It My Way)

I'd really like to know what he did here. It sounds pretty nuts if he didn't jack huge parts of a song and add drums.

According to this interview , the first track did not have a sample beside the vocals. Is he writing his own music now?

"There are tracks on there which are "all-live", or where only the vocals are sampled. The vocals on 'This Time' are about 40 years old. A recording studio in the Bay Area closed down and a friend of mine got hold of all these reels. It's literally 1 minute 20 seconds of this guy tuning up his guitar, singing this little song, and I just fell in love with that vocal track so I literally built the song around it and I'm happy with the way it came out. I have a lot of imitators back home following the 'Endtroducing' model so I just wanted this album to be as hard to imitate as possible. That's one of the reasons I called it 'The Outsider'."

• planlessplanless 819 Posts

Enuff
    where??s the track?

can someone re-up that garbage pls?

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    JD: "A year ago I was in England, working on the album, and I was in a mini-cab and the driver fell asleep, ran a red light and he slammed into a bus. It dawned on me a couple of days later that had we been going faster it would have been permanently debilitating - definitely "lights out". So you walk away from those experiences and you kinda go "OK, tomorrow isn't guaranteed to anybody" and suddenly it makes internet criticisms seem very petty[/b]"

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    someone who has already downloaded these, could you please upload 'em to a yousendit or something; the links no longer work. Thanks!