Marvin Gaye (James Jamerson on the bass)

macksteezmacksteez 68 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=" src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>  
As you can see I put in a Youtube link of Marvin Gaye performing What's Going On / What's Happening Brother.Marvin is This James Jamerson fella is incredible! I saw the documentary on the funk brothers where they said he was playing the bassline for "What's Going On" laying on his back on the floor and drunk at that too!!Any info about him would be gratly appreciated.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Pfft, are you serious? Everybody knows that Carole Kaye was the bassist on those sessions, that James Jamerson stuff is just a cover up.

• macksteezmacksteez 68 Posts
    Enlighten me
    I'm not "everyone"

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=" src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>  

Was "Save the Children" ever released on video/dvd ?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I posted this once before. It seems Ms. Kaye says it was really her that played the bass parts to certain songs that are credited to James Jamerson. Everyone in the know claims she's crazy, when there are documented work invoices, signed afidavids (spelling?) by song writers/producers saying she's lying, and people that played on the sessions saying they don't even know who she is since she played on the LA (b-side) motown sessions and all the "classic" stuff was recorded in studio A in Detroit with the funk brothers (i.e. Jamerson). The whole story is here
    http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html#drlicks

I posted this once before. It seems Ms. Kaye says it was really her that played the bass parts to certain songs that are credited to James Jamerson. Everyone in the know claims she's crazy, when there are documented work invoices, signed afidavids (spelling?) by song writers/producers saying she's lying, and people that played on the sessions saying they don't even know who she is since she played on the LA (b-side) motown sessions and all the "classic" stuff was recorded in studio A in Detroit with the funk brothers (i.e. Jamerson). The whole story is here
    Aww man, you just ruined today's game of "trick the new guy".

what makes it so weird is that she doesn't have to lie about this since she has her own legacy playing on super classic material for beach boys, axelrod, zappa, etc. Even thought the evidence is stacked up against her, she still swears Motown kept bad records and was racist/sexist to a white/girl musician and wanted to keep the Motown sound the music of black america.

oh snap, I'm sorry man. Just that whenever I hear the name Carol Kaye in reference to James Jamerson I get all defensive and shit.

• macksteezmacksteez 68 Posts

thnx for the link. It was a very interesting read.

Holmes , You and me got beef!
    I will lurk in the shadows of Soulstrut (as I usually do) and come forth when it's time to strike you with the Hand Of God.

Ps. You got me for a nano-second. Don't know much but I ain't stupid.

• Listen to this

And watch this...

Just found this:
    the final chapter.
    http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/magic/kaye/

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    oh snap, I'm sorry man. Just that whenever I hear the name Carol Kaye in reference to James Jamerson I get all defensive and shit.
    This is the important shit:
    Motown opened an office in LA in the somewhere in the early to mid-sixties. There was a great deal of Motown recording activity out there and Carol Kaye was right in the middle of it. But the type of recording being done out there and the type of tracks Carol played on needs to be defined. The material is as follows: a)Motown had a lot of artists signed to their label that were exclusively recorded on the West Coast. They included names like Bobby Darren, Tony Martin, Paul Peterson (of the Donna Reed Show), Soupy Sales, the Lewis Sisters, etc. Carol worked on many of these sessions. b)Brenda Holloway hits like "Every Little Bit Hurts" and "You've Made Me So Very Happy," and "When I'm Gone" were exclusively cut by Carol and the West Coast musicians. Brenda never recorded in Detroit. c)A lot of the glitzier more show-biz style albums like The Four Tops On Broadway, The Temptations In A Mellow Mood, The Supremes at Disneyland, and in particular, the Soundtrack from the TV Special TCB (Takin' Care of Business) with the Temptations and the Supremes which were all cut by Carol and the West Coast crew. TCB is of particular importance to the dispute because that may be the root of many of Carol's claims and the resultant confusion over bass credits. TCB featured a lot of medley's of famous Motown hits performed by the Temps and Supremes including "Stop In The Name of Love," "You Keep Me Hangin' On," "Baby Love," "I Hear A Symphony," "Come See About Me," "Get Ready," and others. Maurice King, Motown's music supervisor for live shows, was involved with that soundtrack and told me Carol was definitely on that soundtrack. So Carol did play those tracks??? BUT THEY WERE REMAKES OF THE ORIGINAL HITS FOR A SYNDICATED TV SHOW. THEY WERE NOT THE ORIGINAL SINGLES AND THEY WERE ALL PLAYED DIFFERENTLY AND ARRANGED DIFFERENTLY FROM THE ORIGINAL SINGLES.

ATCO put out some early Beatles sides on which Pete Best drummed. If Purdy played on Beatles sides these were them.

Holmes , You and me got beef!
    I will lurk in the shadows of Soulstrut (as I usually do) and come forth when it's time to strike you with the Hand Of God.

Ps. You got me for a nano-second. Don't know much but I ain't stupid. Hah ha, yeah bro, it's all good, I wouldn't have let you suffer for too long.