Bikestrut Pt.2

silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
As promised, my completed whip. Freshly painted 80's Rossin (Columbus Steel Italian) with Campi Drops. 600 crank (still needs a 50t front sproket, but its kinda fun riding low gear ratios right now) 105 hubs and brakesCampi pedals and seatpostBrooks sadde---= new get me to a out-of-town record spot with mad 45s kinda whip. ps: I city proofed as much as possible tonight.... clamped the rear quick release hub with one of those kitchen hose clamps (from the triangle in the rear drops around the lever) and used some extra length of chain to attach the saddle permanently to the frame (or at least if someone is trying to jack my seat they gotta be carrying a chain tool...). I also used some old bike tube, cut it and placed it on the frame with hockey tape at all points that would normally get dinged by poles or my locks/chain. Say word to summer bike fun. Today is St.Jean Baptiste, which usually means Punk Rock Courrier Tour de Beer! A really fun day for Montreal bike heads.

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Nice!!! Nothin' like customizin' the whip.

Add On:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Damn, nice ride! The geometry looks tight on that thing!

I could never ride that gear, I'd go crazy...I need torque...

Did you paint it yourself?

Interesting on the use of tubing - I use hockey tape to protect
    my frame, too, but just wrap the top tube and fork spears.

I NEED SOMEBODY WHO CAN WELD TITANIUM!!!!

My Ti Basso, which was my winter ride, cracked on the dropouts.
    I actually think it was related to my above-mentioned high gear ratio
    and excessive torque, on a sketchy freewheel setup the bike wasn't built
    to carry - combined with a shoddy initial weld, of course...
    the crack is right on a weld seam, though, so I would think somebody could just
    reaffix it and overbuild the weld...

• Nice ride, you must be tall, that looks like a 59/60ish cm frame?

as far as bike diggin goes, I scored a 1946 schwinn today from the og owner! delivered right to my door no less!

summertime heat + cold beer + beater cruiser = !!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    He is tall.

Damn that's a nice bike.

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Soul: yeah, it is a pretty tall frame (23 and 1/2 inch downtube), and I am not a little dood in terms of physical presence. I had it painted at this bike recycler, they do blasting and powdercoat for $140. The cogs actually wasn't too bad for last night, but I think a new gear ratio will be on it soon. I worry about cracking frames (especially in a city full of potholes... like the one I live in), but yeah, nice fresh paint. The tour de beer was fucking awesome. About 50 bikes, cruising park to park for 7 hours getiin' shitty.
    I love having a new bike. C*smo.. sum man, hit me a address on PM, I'll send you that dvd.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    As promised, my completed whip.
    Freshly painted 80's Rossin (Columbus Steel Italian) with Campi Drops.
    600 crank (still needs a 50t front sproket, but its kinda fun riding low gear ratios right now)
    105 hubs and brakes
    Campi pedals and seatpost
    Brooks sadde
    ---
    = new get me to a out-of-town record spot with mad 45s kinda whip.

ps: I city proofed as much as possible tonight.... clamped the rear quick release hub with one of those kitchen hose clamps (from the triangle in the rear drops around the lever) and used some extra length of chain to attach the saddle permanently to the frame (or at least if someone is trying to jack my seat they gotta be carrying a chain tool...). I also used some old bike tube, cut it and placed it on the frame with hockey tape at all points that would normally get dinged by poles or my locks/chain. Say word to summer bike fun. Today is St.Jean Baptiste, which usually means Punk Rock Courrier Tour de Beer! A really fun day for Montreal bike heads.

Fenders and a kickstand and your set.

• i got one of those marin commuter/cross whips

i took it straight through last winter and it handled well,
    i also found another commuter bike that was abandoned behind my apartment building. i locked it and if it isn't claimed by the middle of next month when i move, its mine. it needs a little work on it but it might suit me to be a nice winter bike for next season

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    600 crank (still needs a 50t front sproket, but its kinda fun riding low gear ratios right now)
    105 hubs and brakes
    Brooks sadde
    ---

ps: I city proofed as much as possible tonight.... clamped the rear quick release hub with one of those kitchen hose clamps (from the triangle in the rear drops around the lever) and used some extra length of chain to attach the saddle permanently to the frame (or at least if someone is trying to jack my seat they gotta be carrying a chain tool...). I also used some old bike tube, cut it and placed it on the frame with hockey tape at all points that would normally get dinged by poles or my locks/chain. Say word to summer bike fun. Today is St.Jean Baptiste, which usually means Punk Rock Courrier Tour de Beer! A really fun day for Montreal bike heads.

Wow. Nice ride. I've been having a blast so far this summer on my single/fixed conversion. Just added some new grips, rubber, and bmx pedals.

The beach cruiser also gets some use, but not as much as it used to.

• Options
    105 hubs and brakes
    Brooks sadde
    ---

Rob,

I got a specializedkey/pitlock on my front and rear, seatpost and forks (carbon fibre, yo) which cost me about 60 US. Saves a lot of time....and risk.

K in Canada.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    It's all about the JMC shadow with wide flange campagnolo hubs on araya rims with carlislie tires. One piece cranks with Bob reedy peddles with custom wraps and Hutch bars with AME grips.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    I roll on a stock japanese Nishiki 501, nice bike.

• Options
    Not like you guys haven't seen this upteen times...

K in Canada.