Philly this weekend (jumpoff related?)

leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
shows, parties, throw-downs, ho-downs? Plaese to hip me.at stake: Phila's superiority among Pennsylvania metropolisises.(also accepting maps to waxen-treasures via PM )this thread will self-destruct at 3:00. peace.

Comments

• if the weather stays clear there is a 'northern liberties flea market' that i'm selling records at, but its not looking good.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    if the weather stays clear there is a 'northern liberties flea market' that i'm selling records at, but its not looking good.

when would that be (if it goes down)? place i'm staying is pretty close to there.
    thanks...

• would be saturday at liberty lands park, coincides with a small indie rock music fest that is also good for drinking and girl watching. oh and the dude from tuff crew was djing, but i can't remember when that was. might have happened already

if the weather stays clear there is a 'northern liberties flea market' that i'm selling records at, but its not looking good.

when would that be (if it goes down)? place i'm staying is pretty close to there.
    thanks...

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

So, it'll be worse than the Punk Rock Flea Market thing?

Also as an aside, 9th St. Records is closing up this month, so this is probably the last weekend it'll be open.

edit: I just realized I misinterpreted "not looking good" as the predicted overall vibe of the market, not the predicted weather forecast. My bad.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    would be saturday at liberty lands park, coincides with a small indie rock music fest that is also good for drinking and girl watching. oh and the dude from tuff crew was djing, but i can't remember when that was. might have happened already

thanks...

word, if the weather's decent i'll look out for you. plaese to bring me some phillyjazzLloydmcneillraers

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Also as an aside, 9th St. Records is closing up this month, so this is probably the last weekend it'll be open.

Worst news I've heard in a long time. Bob is my man and shopping at 9th Street is kind of one of the break genesises for me. Growning up in South Philly on 9th Street it would be my place to stop at and grip some wax. I knew Bob from the PRX crew and he is that dude no doubt. In the early 90s I copped some of my best joints out of 9th Street, many off of his reccomendation. Shit, even my mom would shop there, on her Saturday walk back from the Reading Terminal Market she would stop and get me a record probably once a week, everything from The Impressions to Dave van Ronk to NY Dolls to Dave Pike to Fela Kuti. Shit, we even filmed a short "digger" video in 9th Street for the On The Go video, at the original location, where I "copped" mad pieces for $2 (they were all planted by me ahead of time.)

Anyway, 9th Street is like a place of golden memories. Truly the end of an era once it is closed.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

Anyway, 9th Street is like a place of golden memories. Truly the end of an era once it is closed.

Wow, thats sad... I have not been there since my youngest was born... I got plenty of good 45's from there... thats too bad...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm glad I got there at least once. Dude was dude and I got some gems there. Sad sad sad....

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    FYI - Although the lease ends in June, 9th St. will be open this weekend. After that, he's going to work at the record store on 4th between South & Brainbridge.

• just to let you all know the 'punk rock flea market' and northern liberties flea markets are this saturday. user dakar is setting up at the former and i at the latter. come through and buy some records

FYI - Although the lease ends in June, 9th St. will be open this weekend. After that, he's going to work at the record store on 4th between South & Brainbridge.

Must be a real ego kick to go to work for some other guys store...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

Must be a real ego kick to go to work for some other guys store...

naw, theyre all cool. theyre talking about the record exchange on 5th street. bob and some of the dudes there are in a band together. consolidating forces. my man dan is more influential at 5th street now, which can only be a good thing.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

3 blocks south of current location, of course. i asked him why he moved 3 blocks away and without a moments thought he said "the rats". being in the dead center of the market was a little grimy, i guess.

bob is cool. doesnt own a car. bikes to work, soufreire style (except he hates reggae)

...naw, theyre all cool. theyre talking about the record exchange on 5th street. bob and some of the dudes there are in a band together. consolidating forces. my man dan is more influential at 5th street now, which can only be a good thing.

I know, but since they are cool than thats good... Its been so long since I shopped at a record "store" its not even funny, I just found out that one of my favorite places had a fire, my grandmother said it was about six months ago.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    [ Shit, we even filmed a short "digger" video in 9th Street for the On The Go video, at the original location, where I copped mad pieces for $2 (they were all planted by me ahead of time.)

wow. I remember when you first posted that and the little dude in me jumped out.

[ Shit, we even filmed a short "digger" video in 9th Street for the On The Go video, at the original location, where I copped mad pieces for $2 (they were all planted by me ahead of time.)

wow. I remember when you first posted that and the little dude in me jumped out.

I think its time for somebody to post that thing on youtube.com so people can dork out in the privacy of thier bedrooms at mommie's house!... I'm ready, now that I think of it, I might have it on tape somewhere!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

I think its time for somebody to post that thing on youtube.com so people can dork out in the privacy of thier bedrooms at mommie's house!... I'm ready, now that I think of it, I might have it on tape somewhere!

Plaese to do so man, I haven't seen that shit in so many years, since like it came out

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    That was me, not Ayres.