The Greatest Athlete Of The Last 100 Years(NRR)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I apologize if this has been done here before, but a bunch of folks at the 9-5 have been having this discussion this week and we could only settle on a Top 5 with no clear cut winner. Would love to hear your nominee(s)Of course our list was very U.S.centric so I thought it would be cool to get an International voice in on this too.I'll list my vote and my coworkers Top 5 later on tonight.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm sure I'll get clowned. But whatever... Nothing but repect for these dudes.

1. Ali
    2. Pele
    3. Jordan
    4. Gretzky
    5. Woods

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I would go w/ gretzky because of his total domination of the sport. Compared to others in their respective sports, none of them excelled at the level Gretzky did when compared to his hockey contemporaries.

Although the most fun to watch would be Pele or Maradona.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Where you watching the game Sunday morning? Home? I'm thinking of heading somewhere.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    no clue yet, got any suggestions? It'll be an awesome day though, 2nd game is Portugal vs Holland.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm sure I'll get clowned. But whatever... Nothing but repect for these dudes.

1. Ali

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I apologize if this has been done here before, but a bunch of folks at the 9-5 have been having this discussion this week and we could only settle on a Top 5 with no clear cut winner. Would love to hear your nominee(s)

Of course our list was very U.S.centric so I thought it would be cool to get an International voice in on this too.

I'll list my vote and our Top 5 later on tonight.

1. Owens
    2. Ali
    3. Jordan
    4. Gretzky
    5. Thorpe

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Jim Thorpe batches!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Here are some guys that were given consideration at the office but didn't make the final cut...

Bo Jackson
    Wayne Gretzky
    Carl Lewis
    Dave Winfield(was drafted by 4 different pro sports)
    Deion Sanders(wtf)
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Herschel Walker

So far you guys have named 4 of my coworkers top 5 and no one has mentioned my pick.

Dave Winfield(was drafted by 3 different pro sports)

Dave Winfield(was drafted by 3 different pro sports)

You're right.....I was always under the impression he had been drafted by a low level Pro Soccer team to play goalie and the NFL to play Tight End.

He got looked at as a goaltender in hockey, prolly because he's from Minnesota, but never got drafted.

• I would throw Pele in there as well.
    amir

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    probably not in the top 5 due to the confidentiality of their sports, but still 2 great athletes who showed total domination in their field :

mark spitz and sergei bubka

So far you guys have named 4 of my coworkers top 5 and no one has mentioned my pick.

Jackie Robinson?

Jackie Robinson?
    Nope....my dude was the best there was at two different sports and could have competed in two other sports at the College level.

I'm intrigued...

I'm intrigued...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Nope....my dude was the best there was at two different sports and could have competed in two other sports at the College level.

jim brown

Nice pick, don't know why I couldn't conjure his name up. Definitely worthy of consideration of the top pick, though.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Jackie Robinson?

It was said that J. Robinson was better at Football and Track then he was at baseball.

I know what you are getting at, but Jackie is no slouch on the list, and I would say an arguable number 1.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    this is real easy. i can only think of one athlete that has starred for teams in 5 different sports. dudes had multiple movies made about him. dude had to overcome what could be considered an even bigger barrier than jack-rob.

• thropethrope 750 Posts

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    this is real easy. i can only think of one athlete that has starred for teams in 5 different sports. dudes had multiple movies made about him. dude had to overcome what could be considered an even bigger barrier than jack-rob.

j. thorpe.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    a joke thwarted by reality!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

1. Owens
    2. Ali
    3. Haile GebreSelassie
    4. Pele
    5. Lance Armstrong
    6. Jockey Wilson

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Pick from Ali, Jordan, Armstrong, Carl Lewis, Steve Redgrave ('nuff ROWING golds), Ed Moses (motherf*cker did it in Foster Grants ), Colin Jackson, Bubka (good call), Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice , Pele, Maradonna, George Best, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Michael Johnson (200m & 400m ), Jesse Owens, Jim Thorpe...

My vote is Jordan or Michael Johnson, as both were still muis dominant when the competition was at it's highest-ever standards.

I'd say Jordan, even though I don't play ball and I did run track. Jordan's job demanded more all-round skill.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Pick from Ali, Jordan, Armstrong, Carl Lewis, Steve Redgrave ('nuff ROWING golds), Ed Moses (motherf*cker did it in Foster Grants ), Colin Jackson, Bubka (good call), Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice , Pele, Maradonna, George Best, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Michael Johnson (200m & 400m ), Jesse Owens, Jim Thorpe...

My vote is Jordan or Michael Johnson, as both were still muis dominant when the competition was at it's highest-ever standards.

I'd say Jordan, even though I don't play ball and I did run track. Jordan's job demanded more all-round skill.

I was certainly considering Michael Johnson but then the problem is I wasn't alive when someone like Ali or Pele was at the top his game so it's hard to rate them when you can only view their performance through a historical perspective. I would probably say Michael Johnson is the greatest athelete in my lifetime merely because his running was more than a class above his opponenets, it was a whole different world.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    without a doubt Lance should be in the 5

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    My vote's for Jim Thorpe. He was the first athlete-celebrity and originated the multi-sport, mostly cause he was just so good. Changed the way we view sports and athletes.

• ilkkailkka 31 Posts
    Jordan
    Bubka
    Pele
    Maradona
    Michael Johnson
    Lance
    Haile

Nobody has mentioned Alexander Karelin?