Down Time at a Desk Job (NRR)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
how do you guys deal with this. I'm on temporary status at an architecture firm (doing bookkeeping/accounting) right now, so maybe that's why the workload is light. I've spent the last 2 hours of my morning and about to waste another hour on the internet. I'm nervous though cuz the CFO and manager walk by my desk every minute.how are yalls Wednesdays going?

Comments

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    I'm nervous though cuz the CFO and manager walk by my desk every minute.

Alt+Tab is your friend

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm nervous though cuz the CFO and manager walk by my desk every minute.

Alt+Tab is your friend

Yes, my girl introduced me to that tactic. But it's not still not reassuring when your desk is clean and you have a document that only requires 3 min. of your time. aahh watever, not my fault I have nothing to do!

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    keep a couple of windows open with complicated looking excel spreadsheets, maybe one or two pdf's of official looking documents, so that when the higher up's check out your monitor (and they WILL do that on the sly) you look like you're getting shit done. always works for me.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    My Wednesday has been really busy. I stopped for a minute to shoot a couple pictures though. One of my office and the other of the storm rolling in behind the downtown skyline. I waited too long to go to lunch then it started pouring down rain so I never ended up leaving. At least the company keeps a bunch of food stocked up in the kitchen.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    is that your own room?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Yeah, that's my office. At one point I had an intern that used another desk in here with me but the interns have their own office now.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    the interns have their own office now.

that's ballerific.

and to yuichi:

as far as the alt+tab thing, don't think they don't know when you do that. I know when I see my student employees doing that. It's obvious.

Call me crazy, but, have you ever thought of asking your superiors for some work to do? Or would you rather spend your time being board and surfing the internet? I always feel like those slow days on the internet cause time to go by so sloooowly. Sometimes I go do other peoples' work just to make the day go by faster. You said it's a temp job, I imagine you don't care that much about doing extra work, but showing intiiative is never a bad thing in the work environment, obviously. Good luck!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

that's ballerific.

and to yuichi:

as far as the alt+tab thing, don't think they don't know when you do that. I know when I see my student employees doing that. It's obvious.

Call me crazy, but, have you ever thought of asking your superiors for some work to do? Or would you rather spend your time being board and surfing the internet? I always feel like those slow days on the internet cause time to go by so sloooowly. Sometimes I go do other peoples' work just to make the day go by faster. You said it's a temp job, I imagine you don't care that much about doing extra work, but showing intiiative is never a bad thing in the work environment, obviously. Good luck!

BAN this overachiever immediately!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

that's ballerific.

and to yuichi:

BAN this overachiever immediately!

ha. i'm not an overachiever, i'm just not a lazy employee. They pay me well enough to actually do some work. I even move furniture and fix computers during down time sometimes. Fuck a 9 hour day feeling like a 15 hour day! and on top of all my work i manage to get in a good handful of strut posts each day. Shit i guess i am an overachiever. shit! ban me!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts