Shipping a record collection intl.

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Hello, sorry to bring this up again... I'm leaving Japan in a about a month, and I have about 1000 records to ship home.Origianlly, I was gonna ship by sea, because it goes by volume and not weight. However, now I'm very worried about this option because it's already gotten hot in japan, and I can only imagine how hot it can get inside a shipping container on the open sea.Can anyone give me the names of companies they've used (if anyone has ever done this), how much it may cost? Is shipping by sea out of the question in the summer time?Any help will be increibly appreciated... Seriously... I'm at a loss here.Peace...FNM

Comments

• Also, approximately how many kilograms is the average record?

Anyone know? At least with that info, I can get an airmail estimate...

Peace...
    FNM

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Also, approximately how many kilograms is the average record?

Anyone know? At least with that info, I can get an airmail estimate...

Peace...
    FNM

Obviously, it depends on how thick are the cover and the vinyl, but I'd say around 0.3 kg.

Peace

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Call a company in Japan called BAX GLOBAL and speak to a guy called "Mr. Tanaka" in Tokyo. That's how I ship my records. 3 day express and the cheapest rate you'll find. You can't ship boxes over 20kg from the Japan Post.

peace.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    I shipped a collection from the US to London by ship last August via the US Post office and there was no damage to my records..if that's in any way reassuring..

• Call a company in Japan called BAX GLOBAL and speak to a guy called "Mr. Tanaka" in Tokyo. That's how I ship my records. 3 day express and the cheapest rate you'll find. You can't ship boxes over 20kg from the Japan Post.

peace.

Thanks Moogman... And Sheep, thanks for the information, I'll check that company.

Much appreciated.

Peace...
    FNM

• Call a company in Japan called BAX GLOBAL and speak to a guy called "Mr. Tanaka" in Tokyo. That's how I ship my records. 3 day express and the cheapest rate you'll find. You can't ship boxes over 20kg from the Japan Post.

peace.

Ah, I checked out BAX, but there are like 10 different offices... You wouldn't know which one would you? Or even better... Got a phone number?

Oh yeah... and stupid question... But thats air and not sea right?

Peace, thank you, and good lookin out,
    FNM

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Don??t worry about the climate. Safe transport of records mainly depends on proper packaging. DISK UNION offers nice stuff to do that. I shipped around 20kg in one box with regular mail during the summertime and there was absolutely no problem with the records, when I received them (except the customs...) However, 1000 records is

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Tanaka San is at the Narita office of BAX.. hit him up.

Mr. Dibbs sent me some records back in the day by sea, and they were warped to shit when I got them. I used them as dinner plates.

Go Air. BAX is 3-days turn around, make sure you dodgy up the invoice. I usually put about 5-10 yen per record.

peace.