Musical parents?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Wondering how many of you were raised in musical households. Homes where music was an everyday thing whether it just be lots of records being played or family members in bands and such. Where does your love of music orginate from?

Comments

• Though my Dad's main gug was teaching, he played piano three nights a week for all of my childhood and until he retired maybe 8-9 years ago. Piano bars, country clubs, private parties etc.
    He doesn't care much for rock, but I got a thorough classical and jazz education growing up, and he knows more about standard pop than anyone I've ever met.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    neither played any instruments, but music was part of everyday life as far back as i can remember. also, my parents have always been very social, they still go to concerts/parties/dances. there were lots of parties held and attended through the years; dancing, eating, more dancing...that definitely influenced me. they also did not tell me to turn music down/off or call it garbage, etc. when i was growing up - but i did have a painful conversation with my dad in the car when 'what jenifa taught me' did get turned down until i could explain what they were talking about and why i wanted to listen to it. god. and it was funny when my mom said to "fix the radio" when jesus and mary chain was on.

they also have many friends from all over the world who love music - a few of them have/had very big record collections. that made a big impression on me, too.

they let my brother practice drums/bass/trumpet and let his band jam in the basement without too much complaining, too.

they're all around good and patient people who love music (and a good time).

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My dad had a band called the Tempests, my uncle (my mom's bro) had a band called the Wellingtons.

Here is my Dad's group, the Tempests[/b]....no recordings known, but they were a surf/showband gigging in northern WI in the mid 60s, basically the Wellingtons were the same type of deal. My dad is the guy an the top, JJ.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Susan Ferrari

This is the only web reference I could find, but my mom's done a ton of stuff. She started playing the piano at age 3 and has been training and teaching composition for years now. She has a Master's degree in computer music from Northwestern and teaches classes at the New England Conservatory of Music. She also studies under the eccentric jazz musician Ran Blake. She could never get a music career off the ground because she became a full time mom real young with me and had 2 other children.

I've been hearing a grand piano played at my house for as long as I can remember. I hardly noticed it because it was so constant. Both my parents are big into jazz and I grew up listening to Coltrane and Miles among others.

The funny thing is that I was never into making music until I left home for college. I played the guitar for a little while, but never seriously. If I could go back, which I can't, but if I could I would have learned the piano from a young age. Maybe then I wouldn't suck so bad at making beats

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    My father was also guitarist in a band during the mid 60's. I was born in 1973 and heard the Beatles until my father decided to learn me how to dance, the day he bought Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the key of life"... It was in the late 70's and during this period he was crazily stucked on black music, a bit late according to my actual tastes but however, we had some parties at home and I showed everyone what the hell of a good little dude dancer I was!

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    I grew up with my mom and have been heavily into music since I was 2 or something.
    No one in my family ever really bothered much about mucis so I always wondered where I got it from....
    Then I met my dad 2 years ago and he's also really into music aswell.

Genes I tell you!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My pops was a drummer and singer. He taught me how to play drums (when I was 5 years old) and he also sung in a couple of gospel groups (The Little Wonders and The Bethlehem Travelers). Pops was also a music buff, playing all types of music around the house. From Willie Nelson to Rev. Julius Cheeks, he exposed us to a broad array of musical styles.

From there, my uncle Phillip took over by playing us reggae, rock, and punk rock when we visited them down in Elizabethtown, NC. I always wondered how he encountered so many different types of music living in such a small town. He also ran a disco with his brothers (my uncles), and when they shut it down, we inherited all those disco 12"s.

I also got some influence from my older brother, who is also a music collector, musician (saxaphone), and singer. Him, my dad, and I would harmonize together on hymnals such as "God has smiled on me", with us singing baritone, first tenor, and second tenor, respectively. We still crank up our pipes on occasion during holidays. My brother and I constantly talk music and routinely we exchange musical gifts. So, I have a long-standing relationship through my family which continues to the present day.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak