Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique"

13»

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    2 words...mario c....many don't know his deep involvment w/ the beastie boys production/samples, let alone the master engineer...

Yes, he is the dude. Saddly he hasn't produced much as far as I know. Although people here won't agree with me I thought DJ Hurricane's first album was excellent (also a Mario C work). Never even bothered to pick up his later albums.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    A few years later when odelay came out it was hailed as a big landmark album by everyone but to me is sounded like they had just re-hashed a lot of the production of Paul's Botique.

Yeah, I remember that, too. People were creaming themselves over Odelay, and while it was a well-produced album, I couldn't help thinking, "It's just a less rappy Paul's Boutique." I wasn't mad, though--hearing more Dust Brothers tracks was certainly a welcome thing.

Pretty good, not great IMO but I was hoping for Mellow Gold 2. Mellow Gold, along with Ill Communication, defined my early high school years.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    Didn't Redman or Method Man do a cover of one of the PB songs? Was it Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun?

redman did a version of "the new style" from LTI on doc's da name, if he or meth did another beaties song, i don't know it

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Anthrax did a good cover of Lookin Down... on the beavis n butthead soundtrack.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    2 words...mario c....many don't know his deep involvment w/ the beastie boys production/samples, let alone the master engineer...

Yes, he is the dude. Saddly he hasn't produced much as far as I know. Although people here won't agree with me I though DJ Hurricane's first album was excellent (also a Mario C work). Never even bothered to pick up his later albums.

his recent work includes seu jorge and marcelo d2 of planet hemp, check it out, I celebrate.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

Never has and never will leave my Top 10.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Essential album. The Beasties can??t really rap and I personally don??t like their voices very much. However, the production is simply great and - nobody mentioned that yet - the gatefold cover is cool.

Didn't Redman or Method Man do a cover of one of the PB songs? Was it Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun?

Redman did a new verse over a BB instrumental (forget which one) on that Green Lanter - NY State of Mind mixtape.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Thanks, fella.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Yes, lyrically or technically they are not pusing the verbal envelope but it's done honestly for the love of the music, and for me, it works most of the time.

I have to totally disagree. The BB were completely original when it came to their choice of topics and their cultural refrences. Up to to that point rap was still pretty insular. PB really opened up the kinds of raps you could do. I dare say that someone like Beck was probably very influenced by PB. SOme examples:

Like Sam the butcher bringing Alice the meat
    Like Fred Flintstone driving around with bald feet

All the wife beaters and all the tax cheaters
    Sitting in the White House pulling their peters
    Buy me cheeba from the cop down the street
    The only cop with a rope chain walking the beat
    Like a sneaky pouch time bomb tickin'
    Like the beat to my rhyme just kickin'
    Space cake cookies I discover who I am
    I'm a dusted old bummy Hurdy Gurdy Man

It's 4:00 a.m. I've got the Dr. Hfuhruhurr Ale
    I've got nothing to lose so I'm pissin' on the third rail
    Groggy eyed and fried I'm headed for the station
    D-Train ride Coney Island vacation

• pauls botique real good, but i would actualy say that for me, ill communication is my beasty fav, sure the rapping isn't that great, but as far as the music goes, i feel it is insanely captivating and unique