The Note-Ables: help needed from digging brains

PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Got this email, maybe someone here can shed some light:Hello, My name is xxxx and I recently happened along a collection of records that were going to be tossed out. It's a long story, but within the 5 crates I came across a test pressing record from Keysor-Century Corporation. The album is only in a paper sleeve, and the only information on it is: Date Sent: 4 - 22- 74 V No. 42415, and it is in stereo. I love coming across unmarked or home recorded vinyl, so I immediately put it on my turntable to see what suprises it held. Sure enough, it is an amazing record, not polka or gospel songs which I usually come across (did I mention I am from Minnesota?). I had to find out who the band was on this, because it is that good - kind of west coast funk and soul. I happen to host a radio show, so the next day I played it several times to see if any one might have any ideas at all about who the mystery band is. Sure enough one caller said that he thought it was a band that used to play at his dad's bar long ago, called The Note-ables. So I plugged in Century Records and The Note-ables and came across your discography. in 1972 a band called The Note-ables releases a S/T lp, #40958. I am wondering if this is the same band, if my test pressing is for an album that ever got released, and if you know anything about the band. The 1972 album is in bold print, which perhaps means that you have seen the album yourself? If you have any band info at all I would really appreciate finding out any info at all. Thanks for your help, I wouldn't go to such lengths if the music on the album wasn't really that interesting, but it is really very good, and the more I listen to it, the more I want to get to the bottom of it. Thanks again -

Comments

• chrischris 287 Posts
    there was an iowa band called the noteables that released a 45 on the sound city label called "funky frog".
    the sound is a garage group playing a soul track, so considering that and iowa's proximity to minnesota, i'd wager that they are the same group (although the aforementioned 45 was likely released a few years prior to '74).

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i have a note ables LP on that college band CEntury label.
    nice interpolations from jesus christ superstar, but nothing stellar