Summer fitness thread

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
So after not going to the gym for like five months while paying for it, I decided to start going again. I ain't really on no diet tip (I'm not trying to really lose weight) but I'm starting to feel better already. I found that working on a mix and then listening to it at the gym motivates me to go a lot. My lazy ass hasn't woke up before 11am since school got out but I been waking up at 8 or 9 just to go to the gym. Anyone starting up their shit again? I'm off to the gym now bitches.

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    been playing ball 3 to 4 times a week. geting the game back on track
    then i do pushups, pullups, crunches while i listen to records and get hyped.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Summer workout plan is in full effect on my end.

Got a membership to the University's gym and have been going almost every other day.

I'm mostly doing weight training, upper and lower body, sneaking in some cardio on the weekends.

I've seen a big payoff in just the past few weeks.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I hit a couple baskets at the driving range and I walked 1-2 miles this morning. Hi.

• Jogging down Will Rodgers State Beach in my speedos does the trick for me.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    been playing ball 3 to 4 times a week.

i am probably going to start swimming again this week as well.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Jogging down Will Rodgers State Beach in my speedos does the trick for me.

someone please merge recent AP jpegs with Michael Henderson slingshot

thanks

on second thought, please don't

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Been at it since March, getting a jump on the wedding diet...Cycling 3 or 4 times a week, lifting 3 times a week (not huge, but enough), and running 1 day a week. Just joined a basketball game, so I'm gonna drop 1 bike ride for that.

I've never felt better. Lost 25 pounds since January. Hoping to make this a long term change.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    wow.
    that mix idea sounds good. im always pumped to get in my car and listen to new shit. maybe if i only listen to new shit at the gym id go.

• I haven't really done anything to make myself more fit recently.. but somehow I've lost about 40 pounds since last year! And all I really did was stop drinking soda.

Hmm.. Maybe it's the crack cocaine.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I haven't really done anything to make myself more fit recently.. but somehow I've lost about 40 pounds since last year! And all I really did was stop drinking soda.

how many cans did you drink per day?

• Jogging down Will Rodgers State Beach in my speedos does the trick for me.

Please to buy an iPod and load the Pat Metheny Anthonlogy for inspiration

• I haven't really done anything to make myself more fit recently.. but somehow I've lost about 40 pounds since last year! And all I really did was stop drinking soda.

how many cans did you drink per day?

Maybe 2 or 3? I know that's a lot, but there's no way I could've lost all that weight just from the soda, right?

I'm seeing a doctor this week. I mean, people work really hard to lose that kind of weight, so it seems weird how I just dropped almost 40 pounds with no effort at all. I'm happy about it, but it also makes me kinda nervous..

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    This what keeps me in shape:
    -I wake up at 5:00 a.m M-F (excluding Thursday).
    -I show up to work at 6:00 a.m.
    -From 6:00 a.m -7:00 a.m., I work out. Sometimes I work out between 5:30 p.m and 6:30 p.m. but it's mainly a morning thing.
    -Out of those 4 days that I work out, I run between 4-8 miles. When I'm not running, I'm doing upper body/lower body workouts and/or calisthenics.
    -I do my best to avoid fast food or anything fattening for that matter.

Been doing this for the past 7 years and it's worked out well for me.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Just joined a basketball game, so I'm gonna drop 1 bike ride for that.
    That's the shit. Me and my friends just got together and we're planning on having a regular game throughout the summer. It doesn't take a lot to get back in shape, Brian, just eat good and work in as much fun, sport-like activity (basketball in this case) as you can.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I finally got my gym membership hooked up. I'm gonna hit that up at least 3 times a week. Been letting myself go in a bad way.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

1). Actually i've been meaning to pick-up swimming at my gym. I heard it's a good workout especially if you hav bad knees (AY YO-YO MA!) and just works your entire body. What's a good amount of time to swim and how many calories would it burn?

2). I've added an additional 10 minutes to my cardio routine....but been eating in my old ways (after the club, a lot of sweets, and just little self control ).

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    is it time for another push up contest?

king moist, I'm calling you out

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Whats a good exercise to actually gain muscles on arms and breasts (no homo)? I am really skinny and tall and need to get my v-shape game on...I'm doing push ups daily now for the past 4 weeks and it helps but i need something else maybe...my sixpack is also getting on (if I get rid of all the snacks - but then Ioose weight again)...but seriously, I can eat like a mofo and will not gain weight...but I need that Vin Diesel appearance, shit yeah...gimme that v-shape!!!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Summer workout plan is in full effect on my end.

Word... I've been going all out lately. Gotta get that 'sittin by the pool' body (no ayo)

Workout:
    M-F AM - 30 minute situp/pushup routine
    M-F PM - Same
    MTThF - 3 mile run
    W - Bikram Yoga Class

Diet:
    Replaced coffe with green tea
    Yogurt and banana in morning
    Breakfast bar around 10
    Homemade ham or turkey sando for lunch
    Chicken or fish for dinner

It's working well, but I can't break the routine or it all goes to shit. I drink and eat like a machine on the weekends so I need to start doing something those days. Maybe some skateboarding is in effect.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Whats a good exercise to actually gain muscles on arms and breasts (no homo)? I am really skinny and tall and need to get my v-shape game on...I'm doing push ups daily now for the past 4 weeks and it helps but i need something else maybe...my sixpack is also getting on (if I get rid of all the snacks - but then Ioose weight again)...but seriously, I can eat like a mofo and will not gain weight...but I need that Vin Diesel appearance, shit yeah...gimme that v-shape!!!

heres the deal, if you got a high metabolism youre going to have an incredibly tough tie adding mass. I've been struggling with weight gain all my life and have pretty much given up. Now I'm just waiting for age to kick in.

There's still plenty of exercises you can do to make yourself look bigger. Push ups will primarily work out your chest but you may want to look into weight lifting (primarily benchpress) to really create a noticable change. Also don't just rest with one exercise, be sure to compliment it with something that works out your biceps, shoulders, and back.

Also after every work out be sure to eat a good amount of protein, this will help your body replenish certain nutrients and increase muscle tone

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    [

Diet:
    Breakfast bar around 10

its all about diet. most dudes that are ripped don't do a lot of cardio. not only does it take away from building muscle, but unless you run a marathon, your really not burning THAT many calories.

the menu above gets my approval, you must be a lightweight though, cause thats not a lot of calories. also, coffee is actually not bad as far as dieting, the caffeine improves your metabolism.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    [

Diet:
    Breakfast bar around 10

its all about diet. most dudes that are ripped don't do a lot of cardio. not only does it take away from building muscle, but unless you run a marathon, your really not burning THAT many calories.

an additional benefit of cardio is stamina building.

even if youre skinny you shoudl get some cardio on...your girl will thank ya

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    heres the deal, if you got a high metabolism youre going to have an incredibly tough tie adding mass. I've been struggling with weight gain all my life and have pretty much given up. Now I'm just waiting for age to kick in.

There's still plenty of exercises you can do to make yourself look bigger. Push ups will primarily work out your chest but you may want to look into weight lifting (primarily benchpress) to really create a noticable change. Also don't just rest with one exercise, be sure to compliment it with something that works out your biceps, shoulders, and back.

Also after every work out be sure to eat a good amount of protein, this will help your body replenish certain nutrients and increase muscle tone

yeah, thanks guzzo, I dont know if i have high metabolism, I can have a bigger belly sometimes (what exactly is that metabolism?), but overall I am below bmi me thinks...so yeah, I should go for the protein and weight lifting thing...and yeah stamina is soo neccessary...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

1). Actually i've been meaning to pick-up swimming at my gym. I heard it's a good workout especially if you hav bad knees (AY YO-YO MA!) and just works your entire body.

Also be sure to explore the steam room, Young Phonics.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i am lazy and grumpy. i do not like yoga, chlorine or gyms, so that kills a lot of options for exercise.

i finally started doing stretches in the morning before work a couple of months back and it feels really good. i gotta get weights for maximum results is what i hear...
    i especially like the one where you put your back to the wall and then slowly squat down to a sitting position - that hurt for days at first, but now it is my friend.

i'll soon have more time in the day and i will try to take up running...we'll see...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    the menu above gets my approval, you must be a lightweight though, cause thats not a lot of calories. also, coffee is actually not bad as far as dieting, the caffeine improves your metabolism.

Nope... I'm a relatively big dude. 6'0 180 lbs. I make a hefty sandwich for lunch and rock a big salad on the side of a big chicken breast or piece of chicken for dinner. I'm trying to eat until I'm not hungry instead of eating until I'm stuffed.

So I thought coffee slowed your metabolism? Another reason I switched is that is was fucking up my stomach at work all day. The green tea has been helped with that although I have to wazz every 10 minutes.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    then i do pushups, pullups, crunches while i listen to records and get hyped.

work it, son. I've been to the weight room like 3 times in my entire life.

i'd be swimming 3, 4 times a week if i had a pool though.

• i'll soon have more time in the day and i will try to take up running...we'll see...
    i hadn't gone running since high school and just recently started again. it takes a week or two to get in the groove of it, but once you make it a habit you're straight. highly recommended just for feeling great afterwards if nothing else...

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts

i was really skinny in high school, and when i went to college on a soccer scholarship, the coach insisted that i add some bulk and upper body strength... two things i can guarantee will blow you up are dips and negatives... the weight trainer at the college put me on these, and the results were crazy and almost immediate... you need a spotter for both, DON'T DO NEGATIVES WITHOUT A SPOTTER, YOU WILL HURT YOURSELF... dips are just pushing yourself up on two parllel bars... you probably won't be able to do many at first, but make the spotter help you so you at least go through the motion... before long you will be able to do more and more... negatives are really only good if you are also regularly bench pressing... if you bench press every other day (say M-W-F), on the off days (T-TH) put double your max bench press on the bar... get your spotter to help you get the bar up, and lower it down very slowly, same form as a bench press, just opposite... the spotter needs to do most of the work on the way back up, you should barely be pushing... do 12-10-12 once every off day, and you will blow up quick

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    [

Diet:
    Breakfast bar around 10

That's similar to my good diet. Lately, I have been on a bad diet and gained back about 15 pounds I don't want. Trying hard to work it off. Need to start hitting the gym again. My office moved recently which removed about 30 minutes of walking from my daily routine. It's really starting to show too.