Options

Weekend Finds

edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Super tight combo jazz from Jamaica (with LEslie Butler on piano) with one hard swinging jazzdance track, "Soul De Ern".60's Jamaican vocalist with the above combo backing him up.Stone mint.OG Ja Beverley's.This record is heavy.K in Canada.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Garage Sale.....Thanks NR

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Is that Bobby Jameson any good?
    I like his LP on Verve quite a bit, one of my fav
    psychedelic pop joints. Looks like he's going for
    pseudo-soul by the cover of that GRT joint, though.

Last Words is a terd of the highest terditude.
    Luckily, the 2 good songs on it are the A & B sides
    of an easy-to-cop 45.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I'd love to hear this.

Didn't like the Jameson at all.....but that Link Wray is the SHIT!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thrifts/fleas/yardsales/junk shops -- all 20 cents - 50 cents ea.*unless noted*
    mostly from this weekend, but some from last week.

photo includes ---artsounds 2 lp comp with poster, features avant garde artists doing sound art w/ marcel duchamp, debuffet, etc., also private press/lim philip glass lp, rattles lp on german fontana label from 68, lord shango which is a funky/afro/gospel/soundtrack, etc.,

sweet dubby reggae lp from david isaacs in that pic.

above is a pic of 3 60s international female pop/'yeh-yeh' girls 45s and a raer lp from a bulgarian singer named lily ivanova.

the devils 45 on devlet-- they were a garage/r&b band from stroudsburg, pa. they became the bentleys, who were even better (i also have the bentleys 45). the 'devil dance' is featured on the allentown anglophile vol 3 comp.

2 og pat adams joints in minty shape--

hip-hop/disco 12"s --

12"s from: 45 king, dj's ra-ski & tyme, loft classics vol. 2, eric b & rakim, magnifique, kool g rap & nas, nas, mc shan, montreal, special disco mixer 'hollywood', gregg diamond bionic boogie, laurie marshall, talib kweli, italo from jock hattle, manu dibango, nairobi, cellophane, beverly cosham, liquid liquid ( a uk boot??)

private press revolutionary ensemble lp -- only with generic sleeve- for a buck--

45s --

the swordsmen - 'i;m so glad/hip thang'
    bill lehman and the rock-its 'rock around the horn/ take it easy , greasy (raw rockabilly from ny)
    hot-toddys--rockin' crickets/shakin' and stompin'
    byron lee & the dragonaires -- dragon's paradise/limbo jamaica
    leon's creation - love/this is the beginning
    roy gee & the hitmakers -- git up-release yourself/i can't do it all by myself (philly funk)
    bubble - cho cho/i call her lady

new stuff-- purchased from a couple of my fave record stores---

pissed jeans 7", air conditioning/landed 12" ,workshop lp, and 'sitar beat vol 4' 12" ep of indian funk/bollywood stuff

and...this nice og powell & peralta skateboard from 1980 from a old codger flea market vendor---

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    is it me, or are people picking up entire collections now? You all are

Here are mine, i took a couple of these to Guzzo's record nerd listening night/weed fest 2006 and traded some lp's, perused the crates, traded battle stories and of course listened to tracks/sides of records and had a great time. Have to do that again sometime soon.
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    I traded with Guzzo for these...thanks. They came with the patiented Guzzo trade/calling card.......a condom. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

some ebay scores:

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts

and...this nice og powell & peralta skateboard from 1980 from a old codger flea market vendor---

Lance Mountain?

Some were found "shopping" at local record stores, others
    while "digging" at the thrift the Pucho was eBay
    and a couple were from Rape Donk's set sale here on the Strut:

That Barretto looks like a tornado hit it but still
    plays golden - and such a fine record. Pucho has it's
    moments but is not his best that I've heard so far.
    Latin Jazz Quintet is dollar bin goodness, and Bill
    Black "Cotton Carnival" is thrift store funk of the
    highest quality! The Quinteto Violado is a real nice
    find - Brazilian folk that gets sold as "psych" and "prog"
    but is really just a dope slightly-spacy folk album.

The Heptones is interesting, a label variation I've
    never seen before...legit Studio One US release from
    1976 with distribution by Buddah, including Buddah
    logo on the cover! Is this a common release?

Oh, and some birthday presents from last weekend -
    from various friends & family who KNOWZ THE DEAL:

The Robert McGinnis hardcover retrospective is AWESOME!

...and yes, that Scarface is the same novel that the eventual
    Pacino film was based on...written in 1926 and 80 years later
    I saw a dude at my local Wendy's wearing a button-down shirt
    silkscreened with the book's title emblazoned across it's 3XL
    shoulders...who woulda thunk it?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    eBay:

Mad cheap.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    hey rich-

how's that shekina glory lp? i know it's rare but curious if it's good.
    looks like you had fun.
    wish there were garage sales worth waking up for down here.
    (there aren't, i sometimes forget and wake up for them).

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    hey

hey rich-

how's that shekina glory lp? i know it's rare but curious if it's good.
    looks like you had fun.
    wish there were garage sales worth waking up for down here.
    (there aren't, i sometimes forget and wake up for them).

Delay your education and come hear it in the Hotel Room this Fall.

It's pretty good....... a lot of mellow groovin' flute driven folk that morphs into hard heavy guitar psych......male/female vocals....main guy is now a TV News Anchor in Tampa Bay!!!

hey Soul, have you been to Get Books in N. Reading?

no...should I? I am very down to find a new spot.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    it's a risk youll have to take.
    buck a record. i guess they get stuff every week, so you never know.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    The Robert McGinnis hardcover retrospective is AWESOME!

NO SHIT!!! Got that one a few years back as a Xmas present from wifey. Just wish the cover scans were bigger. Believe me, I got Carter Brown & Mike Shayne & miscellaneous other McGinnis covers for DAYS - good to see another PB collector on the strut!

• Rock, is that Rare Bird debut any good?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It is the kick assingest of all Rare Birds.

"Beautiful Scarlet" kills it.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

1980?
    I'd say more like mid 80's with that flared tail, boards had very little shape until 84-85, then things went nuts...shape wise that is. From the top looks like a Lance Mountain with the "Future Primitive" graphics...
    That is a serious score vintage skates go for big $$$ on Ebay...
    Nice work!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Doomsday cover was just too cool to leave in the bin. Turns out to be a pretty decent EARLY electro record worth $. Nudie Electric Ladyland for $2, sweet! The other side is kinda paper scuffed though which sux, but eh.

Tons of great reggae. Most are in ok condition, but for the price, they were a no brainer. Thought I'd flash the K in Canada stylee for once.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    got a house call for a collection. got it cheaper than my dad's treat to father's day dinner.

all sealed:

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

1980?
    I'd say more like mid 80's with that flared tail, boards had very little shape until 84-85, then things went nuts...shape wise that is. From the top looks like a Lance Mountain with the "Future Primitive" graphics...
    Nice work!
    agreed...looks 85/86. i remember buying a tony hawk mini back then...i wish i would have bought them all and saved them until now to make some money. any chance of posting the bottom graphics dakar? sick digs by the way...just the two patrick adams joints alone and ill..."making love" is such a classic. "love bug" is ok...not as good as "lady bug".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yo, i'd love to post the pics of the bottom of the board, but i am leaving now for a flight to texas (visiting family. will be out in corpus christi/sa area-- holler!!)
    yeah--i think you are right--the lance mountain board is probably 84-86 (probably no later). the thing that prompted me to thinking it was earlier was the copyright date on the powell peralta logo.

i can't wait for the trip to tx. i've had some great digging adventures there. sure to be fun!

• Options

Tons of great reggae. Most are in ok condition, but for the price, they were a no brainer. Thought I'd flash the K in Canada stylee for once.

Primo stuff, Non. The instrumental flute cut to Sangie Davis' "Words" on that UPsetter/Wackies/Clocktower LP is . Take a listen to JEnnifer LAra's "A Change Is Gonna Come" if you haven't already. Hugh Mundell also

No 12's in the mix?

K.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I found a turntable at a thrift for $15.

It is a Rek-o-kut Esoteric Sounds brand professional restoration turntable that evidently audiophiles use to properly calibrate and dig their vintage 78s and LPs.
    Now, I have been to busy to even try it out or turn it on, but so far my research indicates that it was 15 bucks well spent. Looks like an early 90s model that got very little use.

Anyone have any experience or know where I can get my audiphile white lab coat in XXL?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

1980?
    Nice work!

agreed...looks 85/86. i remember buying a tony hawk mini back then...i wish i would have bought them all and saved them until now to make some money. any chance of posting the bottom graphics dakar? sick digs by the way...just the two patrick adams joints alone and ill..."making love" is such a classic. "love bug" is ok...not as good as "lady bug".
    Ah yes hindsight is always 20/20...
    My 1st high school girlfriend worked at the local skate shop, Cal Skate in PDX.
    They did a huge mail order business, they always had 1/2 page ad in Thrasher and Transworld,
    and always got stuck with mad boards when they got obsolete/out of style or whatever.
    I remember seeing the stacks of boards, that were almost like firewood, nobody wanted'em. Lance Mountains, Tony Hawks, Caballeros, Tommy Guerreros, Steve Steadhams, Gators, Roskopps, Natas Kaupas, Lester Kasai, shit you name it they probably had at
    least one or two laying around if not a stack of 50. And what about trucks, wheels, accessories....shit forget about it.
    If that stuff is sitting somewhere it's worth five figures I'm sure....
    If only I'd made my parents invest in some deadstock skate supplies...
    I'd be rich!
    I can hear the pitch now....
    Hey Dad there is the thing called the internet and someday...
    He may have sent me to military school.

And what about the Nike outlet store in NE PDX where we all coped our skate shoes...
    Carolina Blue AJ I's, Hoya Terminators, Dunks in crazy team only colors!
    Don't even get me started on that one!
    Sorry I know this board is supposed to be about records..
    Nice finds to everyone who bought records this weekend, really I mean it you scored...

• I traded with Guzzo for these...thanks. They came with the patiented Guzzo trade/calling card.......a condom.