favorite braek that starts with a horn stab

z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
gimme sum.

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    The subsequent "break" is incredibly incredibly short (like, three hits or something), but my favorite horn stab ever is Pleasure's "Celebrate The Good Things." Brand Nubian did something with that a couple years back that was a fuckin' knocker. "Feels Good" or something like that? Yo, why didn't I buy that shit?

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    The subsequent "break" is incredibly incredibly short (like, three hits or something), but my favorite horn stab ever is Pleasure's "Celebrate The Good Things." Brand Nubian did something with that a couple years back that was a fuckin' knocker. "Feels Good" or something like that? Yo, why didn't I buy that shit?

You fucked up, man

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    dynamic corvettes-funky music is the thing

BANGIN'!

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Brand Nubian

jinx might be able to help you out with that one...

keep em coming!

You fucked up, man

Yeah, I get that a lot.

The "Talking Loud and Saying Nothing" break can be looped in such a way that it starts with a stab.

"Ashley's Roachclip."

That John Travolta shit, too.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    gimme sum.

who remembers the BREAKBEAT 101 and Zagat Survey of Breaks threads?

Julius Brockington doesn't have a break without a stab.
    Kool is Back
    Peggy Lee
    Tom Jones
    Meters
    Purdie's "Changes" (if memory serves?)
    Amen Brother

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My favorite is no doubt, "Kool is Back" by Funk, Inc. Honorable mention goes to "Catch a Groove" by Juice.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Savoy Brown- "Same Old Feeling" off Raw Sienna. Thats a good one.

• Stan Turrentine's "Sister Sanctified"

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Three Pieces - Shortnin Bread
    Funk Inc. - Kool is Back
    Stanley Turrentine - Sister Sanctified
    John Davis - I can't Stop

Those are mine.

Okay, before this goes any further: Zee Iller, are you looking for breaks that go stab-two-three-four or stab-one-two-three-four? Put differently, are you looking for breaks that, when looped on-time, include the stab or breaks that cut it out? Like, "Amen Brother" does in fact have prominent stabs, but nothing that you'd catch were you to just loop the break--you'd just catch drums. Whereas something like that Pleasure cut, you'd catch a "bamp!" at the top of each cycle.

Whichizzit?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I'm not sure it's a horn stab the precedes it but "Bouncy Lady" by Pleasure is super duper bangin'!

• Kool & The Gang - Give it Up

on some lil dude shit but I finally picked up this album and I can't stop listening to this song. 2 badass breaks and one of my favorite horn riffs ever.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I said start man. Everything starts on the one. Ohh, and yeah I edited my posed after I noticed my error. I could blame the guy over my shoulder begging me for a cig while I was responding but I just decided to edit and hope no one noticed. The OP - Pleasure record is in the front of one of my crates so it was on the tip of the brain at that moment.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Kool & The Gang - Give it Up

on some lil dude shit but I finally picked up this album and I can't stop listening to this song. 2 badass breaks and one of my favorite horn riffs ever.

MASSIVE CO-SIGN. I knew I was forgetting one. I love drummers that play off-beat rhythms on the snare. Sooooo funky!!!!

Horn: Baaaaaah

Funky George: Boomp, boomp, kak, booomp, kak-kak, kak, kak, booomp, kak kak, kak, boomp-boomp, kak, boomp.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Electric Indian "Broad Street" Funk 45

I have three of them...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Just cuz I'm board......

don't forget Ashley's Roach Clip by The Soul Searchers.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Kashmere Stage Band - Kashmere

pseudo horn stabs:
    Dance to the Drummer's Beat
    Pamplemousse - gimme what you got

there are hundreds more

• innersourceinnersource 111 Posts
    How about King Floyd's Groove Me.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    dynamic corvettes-funky music is the thing

BANGIN'!

I agree.

Also...

University Of Nebraska Jazz Lab 1 "Suncatchers" (4 minutes in)

• Seguida's "Love is" on Fania has a smoking drum break in the middle with just sax overtop - uptempo, dirty, raw, just the way I like it...

• swissbeatzswissbeatz 152 Posts
    Kool & the Gang - N.T.
    Kool & the Gang - Jungle Jazz
    Monk Higgins - One Man Band