Dexter Gordon's wife wants my eBay item?!

mojoworkinmojoworkin 283 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I am selling an out-of-print 'Complete Sixties Sessions' Dexter Gordon box-set on eBay. I'm selling it because I have all of his albums on cd/LP anyway, and I really just bought it for the booklet.I just got this message from a prospective bidder:"Q: I am the wife of Dexter Gordon. Is it possible to buy this item directly now or must I wait for the auction to end? Thank you. Maxine Gordon"To which I replied:"You can 'buy it now' for $175. I will also deduct $50 if you can provide me with proof that you are Dexter's wife/send me something with his signature on it."Now that I think of it, I'd straight up trade her for something that Dex autographed. The man is my hero. BUT - how am I certain that it's his wife/widow?EDIT: Why would she call herself his 'wife' and not 'widow'?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'd research it on as many websites as you can. Wikipedia might be a good place to start but its not always accurate. Theres probably a good amount of fan sites for Dexter Gordon as well which might entail his personal/ family life and maybe some pictures

• mojoworkinmojoworkin 283 Posts
    This is from the credits of the boxset that 'she' wants:

"Maxine Gordon (Producer), Maxine Gordon (Engineer), Maxine Gordon (Editing)"

She didn't keep herself ONE copy?

I don't want to doubt her authenticity/piss her off if she is who she says she is, but I'll be damned if I'll reward some jerk trying to impersonate her by ending my auction early.

Though, she did give the Library of Congress 23 boxes of his manuscripts/writings/scores in 1999, so maybe she wants to have something of him back...

• This is from the credits of the boxset that 'she' wants:

"Maxine Gordon (Producer), Maxine Gordon (Engineer), Maxine Gordon (Editing)"

She didn't keep herself ONE copy?

I don't want to doubt her authenticity/piss her off if she is who she says she is, but I'll be damned if I'll reward some jerk trying to impersonate her by ending my auction early.

Though, she did give the Library of Congress 23 boxes of his manuscripts/writings/scores in 1999, so maybe she wants to have something of him back...

It's a con, dude.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I was once in a situation like this where my first instinct was to be sympathetic to someone who I outbid. The guy claimed he was a relative of the artist whos record I won. But instead of assuming he was telling the truth I asked him to prove it. Ended up pulling his card in the end. Don't feel like a dick if you're trying to get proof. You gotta protect yourself, mayne.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Tell her you've been contacted by Dexter's mistress and she's willing to pay double w/ autograph so that she doesn't get it.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    She would never go to Ebay for music. She could go to so mant other sources for the recordings. The labels would probly kick down recordings. good luck

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Tell her you've been contacted by Dexter's mistress and she's willing to pay double w/ autograph so that she doesn't get it.

LOL!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

This is fucking hilarious. Do this now.

Perhaps our tastes are not as divergent as I'd previously thought.

• mojoworkinmojoworkin 283 Posts
    Well, long story short - she's for real.

I did a lot of research and she actually posts quite regularly on rec.music.bluenote, a jazz newsgroup that I haven't looked at in a year or more.

She is actually really involved in the jazz scene; for example, she oversaw Woody Shaw's estate, and was instrumental in getting a lot of his stuff re-issued.

Anyways, she had a few copies of the box, but in her words, "they seem to have grown feet and walked on out."

Anyways, I'm sending her the box-set for free. In return, she's sending me one of Dex's reeds, with a certificate of authenticity. Furthermore, she offered:

"Next time you come to New York, maybe I can give you a walking tour of the Lower East Side which was swinging in the 60s."

Damn!