Options

Weekday Finds

edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Eddy Grant/Leroy Sibbles affiliated label (with Glen johansen of Risco Conenctions producing) start a soca label for local fans. Couple people buy, label dies and...On some "Love of Money" steez. Tight tune.Deep disco from a studio run by one of Jackie Mittoo's best friends.Ill indy modern soul/disco cut with a postive message. A double.More quality Eddy G related material. A Double.Glen Brown's best instrumental? One of the for def sure (and that's quite a feat!). A DoubleLater Studio One BUUUUUUTTTTTEEERRRR. "I Am The Ruler". A Double.Only in Scarborough can you find mint- deep funk 45's while trolling furniture shops. Owner said he found it in the couch K in Canada.

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

+about 200 more rap tapes from the mail and the rill world.

• Options
    Didn't realize, but that Blue Rhythm Combo is singed by Grazette, the singer. It's more legible ont he sleeve.

K.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    perhaps it was the blue rhythm's combo's studio couch.
    you might want to go back and check inside the cushions.

• Options
    MAybe a copy of MAgumba or a studio tape int here, eh?

K.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    MAybe a copy of MAgumba or a studio tape int here, eh?

Underneath the coffee table!!!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

That jonathan and charles is a terd. Even more of a terd than the new-age AOR Jeff Johnson. Caprice is hot femme vocal new-wave/post-punk.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    not records but def heat!

found these old joints in EastHarlem...

King ZephyrOne

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    nice finds kevin! is that coach house record any good? it looks exactly like the mohjah i got from you which is blindingly good! me and my partner are using it on a mix we are working on.

i scored these two yesterday for 59 cents each from the williamsburg salvation army...right in hipster central:

• Options
    nice finds kevin! is that coach house record any good? it looks exactly like the mohjah i got from you which is blindingly good! me and my partner are using it on a mix we are working on.

Yeah, it sounds like "Love Money" with some soca swing. It's very good as well. Mexicano is eddy Grant brother...shit was ahead of it's time, eh?

K.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

i scored these two yesterday for 59 cents each from the williamsburg salvation army...right in hipster central:

thats somewhat unbelievable

• The Sweet Inspirations - S/T (Atlantic)
    Ruby & the Romantics Greatest Hits (Kapp)
    Four Tops - On Top (Motown)
    Gene McDaniels - Hit after Hit (Liberty)
    Temptations Sing Smokey (Gordy)
    While The World Was Eating Vanilla Fudge (Wand) - pre-Vanilla Fudge group (with Bogert, Stein, Martell) performing garagey, white-boy soul covers
    Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - Away We A Go Go (Tamla)

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Nothing much: a minty Pearl Bailey 'Sings For Adults Only' and a clean Village Callers' "Mississippi Delta" / "Hector pt. 2" 45. The later was just sitting there right in front of me the moment I walked into the thrift store. It says "Here's a free record for you! Hope you enjoy it! -Uncle John" on the sleeve. Thanks, Uncle John! Both .50

i couldn't believe it myself! and yet, there they were. younger generation is so ill...definitely a keeper. never seen it with the original cover and sticker like that...had no idea kid creole was involved!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    had no idea kid creole was involved!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

That jonathan and charles is a terd. Even more of a terd than the new-age AOR Jeff Johnson. Caprice is hot femme vocal new-wave/post-punk.

I like the Jonathan and Charles LP. It reminds of god and flowers and stuff. Seriously, I remember there being one decent track on it?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I like the Jonathan and Charles LP. It reminds of god and flowers and stuff. Seriously, I remember there being one decent track on it?

I like one track on it. It really is kinda lame though - and I am deep, deep into wussy jesus music these days.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

i couldn't believe it myself! and yet, there they were.

= die

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    managed to cross a couple off the wants list with the Juju and Alvin Cash:

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

A case of the ol' Furious Creole/Coconut Creole mixup?

so it's two different kid creoles? makes sense...but back then the post-punk/no-wave scenes and the hip-hop scenes could have overlapped pretty easily. so it didn't seem impossible.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

so it's two different kid creoles? makes sense...but back then the post-punk/no-wave scenes and the hip-hop scenes could have overlapped pretty easily. so it didn't seem impossible.

sigh... "Kid Creole, playin the role, Kid Creole, solid gold..."

do you just play the instrumentals to your disco rap 12"s or what?

I bought a lot of shit today and one really sick record yesterday. I don't really feel like taking flicks so here's an interesting photo I found on google:

sigh... "Kid Creole, playin the role, Kid Creole, solid gold..."

do you just play the instrumentals to your disco rap 12"s or what?

look...it's the patented paycheck sigh! yes, i heard that lyric in the vocal and guess what...it doesn't clear up anything! chill bro.

Nah man you listen to Superrappin you hear Kid Creole you potentially realize that it's not that dude with the Coconuts

just acknowledge that two kid creole's is confusing!

just acknowledge that two kid creole's is confusing!

hahaha... dude you are supposed to be the king of NYC cheapo disco rap! NO FORGIVENESS!!!

my problem...which you no doubt pick up on...is i see something like that (kid creole on a disco rap record!)and wish it to be true!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    the group is called furious five and there are five names on the label.

i did my best k in canada impression today:

and a few (good) italo pieces from the past few days:

the group is called furious five and there are five names on the label.

correction...the group is called Younger Generation! and yes, i know that they became the furious five. i'll let you do the math for me in the future.

• Options
    I wouldn't be buying "Sex Appeal" 12's. What's the Phill Pratt Forward/Express 12 like? Find me some 12's on Faithful would ya!

K.