Official Deadwood Thread?

goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Did I miss a Deadwood thread already started?I looked back a few pages and didn't see one...So what did you all think of the first episode last night?Even with the "seen previously" scenes I found myself racing a bit to keep up when it started.Show seemed to come out of the gate fast and furious until I got my dead-speak game back on.Looks like some serious shit is brewing between Hearst and Al.Loved how you didn't quite know how he was going to play it when he went in to talk to Hearst, and then suddenly the raw threatening - yet always well-spoken - energy that is Swidgen came out (along with all the hooch from that deadened bottle!).Pretty pissed to hear that HBO is cancelling after this season, even though Milch has always stated that it was a story in four parts. I already did my "Save Deadwood" bit and wrote a few emails to HBO complaining.

Comments

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Another one of those shows that keeps getting better.

Noone's mentioning Wolcott. But I guess he got what he deserved. Bullock better stop beating heads like he does. And if Alma starts dpoing again, it's gonna get crazy.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Good luck. When CARNIVALE got canned there was a pretty big outcry. There were letters, threats...you name it. HBO even made a statement saying they've never seen a backlash like they did for CARNIVALE. CARNIVALE is still M.I.A...lol. Carnivale was the shit...

Anyhow, DEADWOOD's probobly my favorite HBO show now. You know they're ending DEADWOOD with two, 2 hour finals? At least that will be nice to see.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

Noone's mentioning Wolcott.

I was surprised that they did not show him hanging himself in the scenes from last season. He was definitely one of the best things about last season. What a truly twisted, well-realized character!

They made a point of Woo being "out of town".
    I wonder if that is going to be important?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Carnivale was the shit...

second season DVDs just got pushed from May to July

You know they're ending DEADWOOD with two, 2 hour finals?

Unfortunately I just read that even this is a shaky promise at this point...

"HBO is already positioning itself to break it's latest promise for 2 2-hr Deadwood movies. In a New York Times article, CEO Chris Albrecht stated: "It's possible that this turns out to be a plan that doesn't come to fruition, but at least we have one."

From this site:

Save Deadwood

As Twoply said earlier today when viewing this clip:

"After watching it for a while, I noticed that the wallaby keeps on chewing after the crow takes its food. That kind of made me feel better, like the wallaby figured "what the heck" and kept on eating whatever it had left.

That's my motto for the new week: What the heck? I'll just keep on eating whatever I have left."

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i've never had HBO in my life, so thanks to Netflix i am racing to catch myself up..i am halfway through Season 2. i think the show is great on so, so many levels. The attention to detail is probably what gets me most excited. Rooms lit seemingly only from the outside, etc. That is great stuff. One thing that i think Deadwood does exceptionally well is use nonspeaking actions to get the audience really excited in one way or another. So many pans across what a character is looking at that are just done with the background sounds...really good. There is a great one in season 2 of Al when he is back on his little deck once he is finally on his feet.

According to Rolling Stone they aren't doing the 4th (which was supposed to be the final) season because they are trying to move on the new Milch thing. Sounds like some ultimatum stuff to me.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Serious.

Deadwood is the best thing on TV. This season is what this seasons Sopranos wished it could have been like. Sundays eps was soooo off the hook. Al is the hardest muther phauker.

If high schools showed this in english class and tied it in properly, I'm betting they could get kids interested in Shakespeare again. Tho I'm sure no teacher could ever get the OK with the swearing, nudity & violence.

So far this season is straight

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    god damn this show is fucking awesome
    this past episode was especially great
    the battle between dan and the general was E P I C

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    That really was one of the greatest fighting sequences I've seen. It was just so real. But the part that I loved is how Dan was truly bothered and traumatized by the whole thing. Most other shows you kill someone like that, no big deal.

But my favorite part of the whole show is how once a season Swearengen is in some sort of sexual act and he just goes off about his life to his new woman. All of them are great, but the one from the first season, when Trixie leaves him for Sol and he's genuinley hurt, was one of those great soliloqueys (sp?) that I can't shake from my memory, even if I wanted to. He's such a larger-then-life charachter but those moments add so much humanity to him. Just fantastic stuff.

***SPOILER ALERT***[/b]

Last night's show was off the fucking hook!
    As you said, easily one of the best fight scenes on TV ever.

I too liked Dan's reaction after the fight, and what Al had to say to Johnny about it. Also, the look on Al's face when he thought Dan was finished, and the slow nod he gives Dan to let him know to finish the guy off. Seriously, I haven't been that edge of my seat tense for something on TV in a long long time.
    One thing i have to say, although I like the Jack character and his relationship with Al, the whole theatre troupe storyline in general has me a bit so far. although I did like the bits where Joannie was deciding whether or not to sell her brothel/schoolhouse, and when Charlie went to ask Bullock about whether it would be acceptable to move the school but Bullock is rushing him, and Charlie walks away and grumbles something like, "Be brief he says...a matter of great delicacy..."

If you aren't watching this show yet you are seriously missing out on something special.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I can't wait to watch this Eps!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hello.......

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    captivating show