FUCK - craigslist is down????

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I now realise this is worse than strut downtime. Just when I need to make a few bucks quick like page meAnyone need a cheap SP-505 (and have some 4-20)?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Craigslist isn't down completely but it's been slow. Somethings going on there. On a similar tip Soulstrut has been down several times today but only for brief moments. Never more than a minute but I saw it had trouble connecting to the database. Hmmmm.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Craigslist isn't down completely but it's been slow. Somethings going on there. On a similar tip Soulstrut has been down several times today but only for brief moments. Never more than a minute but I saw it had trouble connecting to the database. Hmmmm.

I think I fixed it. The default is 100 connections to the database and I changed it to 250 and rebooted the server. Seems to be doing very well since I did that (knock on Pergo)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    BTW: How does Craigist make any money?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

their revenue is generated from charging for apt. listings in NYC and a few other cities, as well as some job listings.

if the above info is at all innacurate, feel free to correct, but that is what I recall from a profile on Craig i saw about a year ago.

craig has gotten offers in the hundreds of millions for the site, but turns them all down.

They make all their money with want ads. Everything else is free.

their revenue is generated from charging for apt. listings in NYC and a few other cities, as well as some job listings.

if the above info is at all innacurate, feel free to correct, but that is what I recall from a profile on Craig i saw about a year ago.

craig has gotten offers in the hundreds of millions for the site, but turns them all down.

Doesn't dude run Craigslist with only a handful of employees? One of the dudes jumped ship and sold his shares to Ebay against the better wishes of the other share holders. They're all hippies holding out against corporate bucks but there wasn't anything they could do. I think Ebay respects the owners and happily collects it's dividend check without butting their nose in Craigs business.

• Want ads are free too. The SF site charges for job postings, I would assume it works similar at the other sites

• spinnertyspinnerty 14 Posts
    Craig lives down the street from me. A regular dude in a regular crib. The offices are in a delapidated house near 9th/Irving