Is "BUDGET" the new "GHETTO"?

coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
One of my friends (she's white) characterized a certain behavior as "budget" today...Is "budget" the new "ghetto?" Please to enlighten me on the strange and crazy world of hipster slang.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    "tarjay" & being a soccer mom is the new hipster trend!!!!

you heard it here first, folks

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    "tarjay"

it's "tar-zyay".

(it's supose to sound French but I don't know how to spell it out that way.....tarje')

White people are so desperate to originate slang their just making up still stuff like "budget". The whole slang thing has just gotten out of hand. People are trying way to hard. Used to be you'd get 1 to 5 new slang words a year, now you get that many a day.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Used to be you'd get 1 to 5 new slang words a year, now you get that many a day.

I can only assume you are:

1. Too old to be in high school

and

2. Too young to remember Valley Girls (i.e. that time in the 80s when we were deluged with 1 to 5 new slang words every hour)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    White people are so desperate to originate slang their just making up still stuff like "budget". The whole slang thing has just gotten out of hand. People are trying way to hard. Used to be you'd get 1 to 5 new slang words a year, now you get that many a day.

[Pet Peeve] White people are wrong in everything they do especially when they open thier mouths. The only good white guy is a mute dead one...oh wait unless he's on soulstrut, then he understands "culture" and not in that hipster way[/Pet Peeve]

damn dudes, you white folks bashing on other white folks for no other reason than to bash are the most fucked up whitefolks (yes I'm talking to you)

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    (yes I'm talking to you)

Oh no he didn't!

It's "peeve" by the way (seeing it misspelled is one of mine).

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    (yes I'm talking to you)

Oh no he didn't!

It's "peeve" by the way (seeing it misspelled is one of mine).

corrected.

maybe we need a pet peeve thread???

I ian't gonna make it, I catch too much flak on this site already

[Pet Peeve] White people are wrong in everything they do especially when they open thier mouths. The only good white guy is a mute dead one...oh wait unless he's on soulstrut, then he understands "culture" and not in that hipster way[/Pet Peeve]

Point taken. Not all goyim are schmucks.

But you have to admit that the only word for people who pronounce Target in an outrageous(ly ironic) French accent is

(yes I'm talking to you)

Oh no he didn't!

ITS ABOUT TO BE A

WHAT?

WHITEFIGHT!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ---

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

But you have to admit that the only word for people who pronounce Target in an outrageous(ly ironic) French accent is

or maybe the word is just "girl."
    Every girl I know, from my sister to the girl I work with to my close friend Justine to my room-mate's girlfriend, etc, says "tar-zhay."

Used to be you'd get 1 to 5 new slang words a year, now you get that many a day.

I can only assume you are:

1. Too old to be in high school

and

2. Too young to remember Valley Girls (i.e. that time in the 80s when we were deluged with 1 to 5 new slang words every hour)

Yea, I almost said I'm talking 30 years ago when most slang was a way to keep the drug talk under raps.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Yea, I almost said I'm talking 30 years ago when most slang was a way to keep the drug talk under raps[/b].

damn dudes, you white folks bashing on other white folks for no other reason than to bash are the most fucked up whitefolks (yes I'm talking to you)

I'm not bashing all white people, but she said this girl was white. And really it's not like I'm making stuff up. White people went nuts with the "shizzle" talk. Most of them were saying "nizzle" and didn't even know what it ment. All these white people flashing "gang" sings and they don't know anything about them. I don't hate white people. Really.....my best friend is a white person.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

I'm not bashing all white people, but she said this girl was white. And really it's not like I'm making stuff up. White people went nuts with the "shizzle" talk. Most of them were saying "nizzle" and didn't even know what it ment. All these white people flashing "gang" sings and they don't know anything about them. I don't hate white people. Really.....my best friend is a white person.

• But you have to admit that the only word for people who pronounce Target in an outrageous(ly ironic) French accent is

F*ck you man, don't talk about my grandma that way. She is not French, nor is she a hipster...

*not my grandma, example grandma only

"That'S a fancy sweater grandma, where'd ya get it?"

"Oh, I got it at Tarje *cute grandma laugh*"

Don't diss my grandma!

Peace...
    FNM

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I use "LOW-BUDGET" from time to time, which is akin to "GHETTO"--so I guess the next step is dropping the "LOW."

How come Tripod pics don't come thru? or is it just my computer?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You can't link to Tripod images from an external website.

it's "tar-zyay".

(it's supose to sound French but I don't know how to spell it out that way.....tarje')

I think the French "spelling" would just be "Target" like "Roget" (check the thesaurus)...Although I'm sure there is an actual word for "target" in French.

• One of my friends (she's white) characterized a certain behavior as "budget" today...Is "budget" the new "ghetto?" Please to enlighten me on the strange and crazy world of hipster slang.

My old crony Nav used to say that incessently when were in a band together about ten years ago. It was truly all-purpose for him, and he was certainly not a hipster. The only reason I bring this up is to:

1) emphasize the point that slang from far back in the previous century is the only slang that's safe. But keep it on the low needle, yeggs.

2) bring up a story about said crony Nav that I was just thinking about the other day. We were hoofing it down the street one day and were accosted by a woman in the throes of some kind of chemical wrestling match.

Bugged Out Lady[/b] (to Nav): Hey, you--- you black?
    Nav[/b]: Naw, Indian, from India and shit.
    BOL[/b]: For real? I was about to say that you the geekiest looking black man I've ever seen.
    BOL[/b] (turns to me): And you--you just UGLY.

Yowtch.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I was kidding if anyone was wondering. Sheesh.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Fuck all y'all, when they finally opened a Target in my South Tucson neighborhood, my little sister went to check it out during it's grand opening. Apparently, they had mariachis, pi??atas and chips and salsa to appeal to their mostly-Mexican customer base. My sister called from there and said "Every other side of town gets a Tarzhay, and WE get a TarGHETTO."

Get off my Cousteau.

Herm

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

"Target"

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    How is saying "Budget" slang? It just english. The word has one meaning only. What is it slang for? "Ghetto"? It's the other way around. The only thing this girl is guilty of is turning a noun into a adjective, which is pretty common.

You could say it's slang for "Low-budget," but it's more of an abbreviation.

Unless she was pronouncing it, "Bu-jay"...

How is saying "Budget" slang? It just english. The word has one meaning only. What is it slang for? "Ghetto"? It's the other way around. The only thing this girl is guilty of is turning a noun into a adjective, which is pretty common.

I'm no linguist, but I think her usage would be considered slang, ie, nonstandard. The exact phrase she wrote was: "Federal offense or not, opening someone else's mail, esp when the address is one you recognize, is BUDGET." The emphasis on BUDGET is her own.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts

I'm no linguist, but I think her usage would be considered slang, ie, nonstandard. The exact phrase she wrote was: "Federal offense or not, opening someone else's mail, esp when the address is one you recognize, is BUDGET." The emphasis on BUDGET is her own.

Wow, that's an awful useage. It's not even interchangable with 'ghetto'.
    I think this is just a case of this girl being clueless.

Wow, that's an awful useage. It's not even interchangable with 'ghetto'.

Apparently there are some people who use it synonymously:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=budget

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    budget = ghetto? yes
    budget usage = new? no
    high-c = white ???

• White people are so played out

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    bro dawg?