(Another) eBay Seller Question

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I got an e-mail today from a customer who received a record they won from me. The guy says the record is cracked and that he wants to send it back for a full refund. There is NO WAY that I would ever sell a cracked record without making that VERY clear. This guy says he'd keep it if it wasn't for the crack "that you have to put back together".Could it have been jacked in transit? I packed the LP really well, too. He gave me a number to call him at, which I will do this evening, but what are my options here? Do I just refund the guy or what? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    do you have a "return policy" or a "not responsible for damge in transit" in your listings?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    do you have a "return policy" or a "not responsible for damge in transit" in your listings?

No... But I will from here on, thanks.

I honestly think this dude chipped it himself...

Anyone else been in a situation like this?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I honestly think this dude chipped it himself...

He probably did, but even if you knew this for a fact, would it help you to solve this problem? No. I'm in a Paulo Cohelo mood today. How much damage are you willing to take? Evaluate pros and cons.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Anyone else been in a situation like this?

I been in a similar situation. dude claimed the record was warped (wasn't) so I just told him to ship it back. he did, I sent the refund minus shipping and kept it moving.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I received a broken record in the mail last week.
    It was packed in a flattened Priority Mail box, though.
    Dude gave me a full refund incl. shipping when I sent
    him a jpeg of the record.
    He might have been a little more agreeable cause I told
    him I sell records too and that using PM boxes in NAGL.

I would just be worried he's pulling a switch on you.
    Is it a raer?

I would just be worried he's pulling a switch on you.
    Is it a raer?

I talked to dude on the phone and he was real cool about it. He got it for a friend/relative who's pops used to listen to it back in the day. He just freaked a little bit when he saw what he says to be a short hairline crack on the record. The friend/relative is a DJ. Homey's gonna bring it by his crib later on and says there's a good chance he'll be so happy to have it that he just might end up keeping it.

Another lesson learned...it is SO EASY to assume the worst dealing with random people via the interweb. Glad I called the dude and made that real world connect. It made all the difference.