Sign Language Strut

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
for asking purposes, lets say i was a deaf/mute (not that some of you havent already wished for this...) and if i were to put my index fingers to the sides of my head facing up (kinda like the "we're number one" look)... and then... i dont know... ummm... make a hand gesture as if i was stroking my goatee...what would i be saying to you if anything at all?and please, amusing comments most certainly welcome for this thread...

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    you're in the wrong forum shitface.

take that shit here and be a man.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I used to know some ASL. I can't think what that would mean. Probably obscene.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    are you still mad? you got some soft skin bitch.

• for asking purposes, lets say i was a deaf/mute (not that some of you havent already wished for this...) and if i were to put my index fingers to the sides of my head facing up (kinda like the "we're number one" look)... and then... i dont know... ummm... make a hand gesture as if i was stroking my goatee...

what would i be saying to you if anything at all?

and please, amusing comments most certainly welcome for this thread...

That's ASL for "you have stray pubic hairs all over your face"...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I dated a deaf gurl in H.S. I have no clue what that means.

But whatever.. If someone does something you don't like, rotate ur thumb at them...

some soft skin bitch.

so soft.

I was in a bad mood, but I just ate some blueberries. So I'm done.

Carry on making fun of deaf people.

I used to know some ASL. I can't think what that would mean. Probably obscene.

thats the thing... theres this cat whos outside the post office all the time with those little pieces of paper asking for money. so ive been living at my spot for almost 2yrs and dudes been there the whole time. not everyday but enough that i see him once a month.

now dude has done this before to me. he then laughs and is all jolly and shit. i dont know if hes talking shit or being mean or funny... i find it hilarious either way cause he gets the biggest kick out of doing that to me. shit if i can give a bit of laughter to someone by letting them bag on me then right on!

i just was curious as to what it meant... WITHOUT having to go log onto another website to ask. i thought that i had seen a sign language thread here once before but maybe i was mistaken.

some soft skin bitch.

so soft.

I was in a bad mood, but I just ate some blueberries. So I'm done.

Carry on makinfg fun of deaf people.

i hope those blueberries have poison on them ya fuckturd...

...and how did i make fun of deaf people? i was giving a real life story. youre such a mean spirited person. it makes me sad that youre so angry...

lets throw away our past relationship, wanna be friends?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I got on a crowded MUNI train a while back and could see a guy signing to someone, only I couldn't see the person he was signing to. The train reached the next stop and cleared out a little, and it was then that I noticed that there was no one else around him--yet he was still signing.

It occurred to me that perhaps he was talking to himself.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    I got on a crowded MUNI train a while back and could see a guy signing to someone, only I couldn't see the person he was signing to. The train reached the next stop and cleared out a little, and it was then that I noticed that there was no one else around him--yet he was still signing.

It occurred to me that perhaps he was talking to himself.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Well, I've found myself on the business end of this before, which maybe kinda sorta dimly resembles the gesture you're describing.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    for asking purposes, lets say i was a deaf/mute (not that some of you havent already wished for this...) and if i were to put my index fingers to the sides of my head facing up (kinda like the "we're number one" look)... and then... i dont know... ummm... make a hand gesture as if i was stroking my goatee...

well I just got off the phone with my friend Kate who's an interpreter for the deaf and explained your explanation and while she's not sure of the fingers to the head, maybe letters in the alphabet? or possibly 'cool'[/b] or 'wow'[/b] however the stroking of the goatee is the sign for 'Jewish'[/b]

It sounds like you're guy is being a real prick if that's truly meant for you.

...it makes me sad that youre so angry...lets throw away our past relationship, wanna be friends?

no

fucking fuck yeah i'm angry. feel sorrow.

but regarding our "past relationship"...

all i can recall is that you talk shit to me from time to time and i talk shit right back to you. i'm not sure what you expect? that said, i'm sure you're a good dude and, believe it or not, I also respect you.

(btw--if you really think i'm such a sad shithead, put me on your ignore list. )

• for asking purposes, lets say i was a deaf/mute (not that some of you havent already wished for this...) and if i were to put my index fingers to the sides of my head facing up (kinda like the "we're number one" look)... and then... i dont know... ummm... make a hand gesture as if i was stroking my goatee...

actually I think what youre referring to is the sign for "deaf"

If you want me to talk to dude when I go up there let me know

for asking purposes, lets say i was a deaf/mute (not that some of you havent already wished for this...) and if i were to put my index fingers to the sides of my head facing up (kinda like the "we're number one" look)... and then... i dont know... ummm... make a hand gesture as if i was stroking my goatee...

This one?

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/d/deaf.htm

thats what it sounds like to me

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts

well I just got off the phone with my friend Kate who's an interpreter for the deaf and explained your explanation and while she's not sure of the fingers to the head, maybe letters in the alphabet? or possibly 'cool'[/b] or 'wow'[/b] however the stroking of the goatee is the sign for 'Jewish'[/b]

Your friend has been the most accurate so far. The sign certainly gives the impression of being derogatory. Two pointy fingers likely representing horns. My interpretation is that this deaf gentleman is saying something like "Devil Jew" "Evil Jew", "Evil Fag" etc. How he strokes the chin makes the difference between all above possibilities. Sometimes folks that sign also use their lips while signing. Try to read his lips if you can. Better yet..use a camera phone and upload.

thats what it sounds like to me

Could very well be...but if the man, as Jinx implied, is using both hands it's something else.

• well I just got off the phone with my friend Kate who's an interpreter for the deaf and explained your explanation and while she's not sure of the fingers to the head, maybe letters in the alphabet? or possibly 'cool'[/b] or 'wow'[/b] however the stroking of the goatee is the sign for 'Jewish'[/b]

Your friend has been the most accurate so far. The sign certainly gives the impression of being derogatory. Two pointy fingers likely representing horns. My interpretation is that this deaf gentleman is saying something like "Devil Jew" "Evil Jew", "Evil Fag" etc. How he strokes the chin makes the difference between all above possibilities. Sometimes folks that sign also use their lips while signing. Try to read his lips if you can. Better yet..use a camera phone and upload.

ummm, I don't know where you get the idea that a guy selling sign language cards outsidee a store is signing "Evil fag" but you are pretty far off. the sign for "gay" is not what Jinx described. Also that "sometimes folks that sign use there lips while signing" is kind of ignorant. For your information facial movements are just as important as hand and finger signs. What you said is like saying saying sometimes people use vowels when spelling.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Better yet..use a camera phone and upload.

but be prepared to become a new greamlin!!!

your avatar?

...it makes me sad that youre so angry...lets throw away our past relationship, wanna be friends?

no

fucking fuck yeah i'm angry. feel sorrow.

but regarding our "past relationship"...

all i can recall is that you talk shit to me from time to time and i talk shit right back to you. i'm not sure what you expect? that said, i'm sure you're a good dude and, believe it or not, I also respect you.

(btw--if you really think i'm such a sad shithead, put me on your ignore list. )

ignoring people is stupid... thats just immature.

i was just fucking around with you FB. though the day with the mcds and americanidol threads your thoughts did irritate me but like i wrote i had a sandwich and decided i was overdoing.

anyway... friends or no friends... im still going to talk shit to you for the pure enjoyment it brings me. to make up for it the first day i shake your hand ill buy you a drink.

thread-wise: i always thought he was making some devil sign but i couldnt figure out why? i thought it was cause my hair is all fucked up looking usually and im hardly ever shaved. though the day before yesterday i had just gotten a haircut and was shaved! obviously dude has some real meaning other than "you look like shit"... hahaha!

so after fucking around with FB i broke out with my girl patty who used to work up on geary where dude chills. i asked her about him and she said "oh yeah hes such a sweet guy. he always smiles and blows a kiss to me." ummm... so whats that saying about me? well, upon her suggestion im going to write a note with "what do you mean?" on it and present that to him today when i go to the post. ill write back with an explanation if i get one... if hes even there today.

Devil

yup... thats what he means. hahaah! he signed/gestured that hes been deaf since he was a baby. i asked him what he meant and we both laughed after i asked him if he meant devil. we shook hands... i gave him $5 for one of those "how to sign papers" and bounced.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    You should have rotated ur thumb at him!

I've caught a few dudes hand me one of those donation pieces of paper when I'm in a resturant or some shit. Twice the guys weren't deaf and were faking it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I've caught a few dudes hand me one of those donation pieces of paper when I'm in a resturant or some shit. Twice the guys weren't deaf and were faking it.

Back when I worked at a record store in Las Vegas one of these dudes came in the shop trying to slang sign language alphabet cards. He obviously wasn't expecting anyone working in a music shop to be fluent in ASL so he was caught off guard when I started signing to him. after asking him if he's deaf and what his name is he gave me a pseudo sign that meant nothing, I called him out and dude walked off.

Faking like you got a handicap to get panhandle dough from others is the ultimate in

Devil[/b]

yup... thats what he means. hahaah! he signed/gestured that hes been deaf since he was a baby. i asked him what he meant and we both laughed after i asked him if he meant devil. we shook hands... i gave him $5 for one of those "how to sign papers" and bounced.

I'm glad to see that you and Sadat X finally made up.

ummm, I don't know where you get the idea that a guy selling sign language cards outsidee a store is signing "Evil fag" but you are pretty far off. the sign for "gay" is not what Jinx described. Also that "sometimes folks that sign use there lips while signing" is kind of ignorant. For your information facial movements are just as important as hand and finger signs. What you said is like saying saying sometimes people use vowels when spelling.

Son, you're wrong on all accounts.

Re-read Jinx's discription of the sign.
    Make "G" and tap your chin, with the chin between thumb/index...I'm pointing at your screen name and making that sign.
    One word...Oralism. Long standing debate regarding vocalizations/lip movements around deaf..primary focus, I believe, is on deaf education.
    Horrible analogy regarding lip movements and vowels.
    I never mentioned facial movements.

Let us remember, describing a foreign word online is rather difficult. Even more difficult is the reader coming up with the solution.

• ummm, I don't know where you get the idea that a guy selling sign language cards outsidee a store is signing "Evil fag" but you are pretty far off. the sign for "gay" is not what Jinx described. Also that "sometimes folks that sign use there lips while signing" is kind of ignorant. For your information facial movements are just as important as hand and finger signs. What you said is like saying saying sometimes people use vowels when spelling.

Make "G" and tap your chin, with the chin between thumb/index...I'm pointing at your screen name and making that sign.
    One word...Oralism. Long standing debate regarding vocalizations/lip movements around deaf..primary focus, I believe, is on deaf education.

Let us remember, describing a foreign word online is rather difficult. Even more difficult is the reader coming up with the solution.

Jinx said the guy had his finger up in a "were number one" sign, not a "g" anyways this is a pretty pointless thing for either of us to try to debate. I actually beleive the facial movements are that important, perhaps using the example of saying facial movements are more like punctuation would be a little closer to the truth.

Whats your background on ASL?

don't really expect to get into too many conversations about the language of deaf americans on a music website

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Well you've got the answer, but as I read the og post, i was thinking devil + beard. Jinx does have the old school devil goatee i believe. anywhooooo....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Son, you're wrong on all accounts.

Ummm... Way I understand it is ASL is Adams first language. I don't think you want to try to school him.

Adam, when I was learning about deaf culture the deaf people I knew had a very low opinion of people selling "I Am Deaf" cards or flowers. You've discovered that some are not even deaf. What is your opinion on this occupation.