Billy Preston R.I.P.

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
AP Reports Billy Preston has died.

Comments

• Damn...I heard he'd been really sick in the last year. His early organ sides are classics...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    AP Reports Billy Preston has died.
    early fave from my youth
    beatles & funk hero
    under rated & appreciated

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i've had the "I Wrote A Simple Song" A&M 45 hanging in my cube at work for about a month or so. Wow, my roomate is a big fan of his. Heard him through his parents when he was growing up.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Damn...I heard he'd been really sick in the last year. His early organ sides are classics...

Shoot, to me the 70's hits that made him famous are classics as well. "Outa Space," "Space Race," "Will It Go 'Round In Circles," "Nothing From Nothing"...although every funk pioneer both major and minor gets their due these days, Preston's name seldom comes up when people talk about Stevie, Donny, P-Funk, etc.. Hopefully, he'll be remembered now. One of my fave childhood TV moments was watching Billy and Buddy Miles on The Midnight Special, jamming on "My Sweet Lord."

• Damn...I heard he'd been really sick in the last year. His early organ sides are classics...

Shoot, to me the 70's hits that made him famous are classics. "Outa Space," "Space Race," "Will It Go 'Round In Circles," "Nothing From Nothing"...although every funk pioneer both major and minor gets their due these days, Preston's name seldom comes up when people talk about Stevie, Donny, P-Funk, etc.. Hopefully, he'll be remembered now. One of my fave childhood TV moments was watching Billy and Buddy Miles on The Midnight Special, jamming on "My Sweet Lord."

I like that stuff too (esp. 'Outta Space') but 'Billy's Bag' is my shit.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

RIP

I saw him with Harrison about '73. I don't know why he never made a great soul lp, but his pop hits were the best thing on AM radio back about 72-74

• can someone post that midnight special jam? i think billy preston also mentored sly..RIP

• can someone post that midnight special jam? i think billy preston also mentored sly..RIP

Sly's all over his Capitol 45s and LP.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    can someone post that midnight special jam?

this is not it, but it's beautiful.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    RIP... He'll be sorely missed.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I saw him with Harrison about '73. I don't know why he never made a great soul lp

I always viewed him as another rock-soul guy along the lines of the Chambers Brothers or the Buddy Miles Express, myself. Those organ albums he did in the sixties (and those disco-era Motown albums) are probably as close to straight soul as he got, I guess

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    R.I.P. to an underrated great.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Fittingly, the Soul Sisters outta NYC played "Billy's Bag" at ModChicago... one of the great organists with an immediately recognizable tone, an uplifting songwriter and truly seemed like a genuine good guy too. RIP

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    R.I.P.

Looks like I'm gonna be listening to this tonight -

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    fuck...
    his 2 apple LPs loom large...
    soulful/funky keys and vox...
    R.I.P.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    i've had the "I Wrote A Simple Song" A&M 45 hanging in my cube at work for about a month or so.

I've got that 45. It's one of my favourite songs of all time. Just something about it resonates deeply with me. I even sampled it.

Damn. This is a sad loss.

R I P

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I was at Jury Duty today and therefore not in tune with the latest. During the lunch recess I went to a record store across the street and found 2 copies of a later-era Preston album ("On The Air" 1984) that had been on my wants list for a while. It was when I brought one to the counter to buy that I learned from the cashier of the bad news.

R.I.P.