Toronto folks, we be grubbin

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
We talk about it all the time but nobody has really taken the initiative. I figure I might as well since I want to do this before summer ends. My proposed dates are Sat June 17th or Sun the 18th. Sat would be for dinner + drinks after, or Sunday will be a lunch affair. Whichever folks prefer more, although these dates are not set in stone.I know there are some dietary restrictions at play so I'll recommend a few choices. Something we can come to a mutal agreement with. As long as the choice is big enough to accommodate our group, plus service is unhurried. Which means I have to dissappoint b#lly and leave out the soon do boo joint as it fails to meet both criteria. Now to rehash my choices from the last post....sejong - only k bbq spot in the city using charcoal grills I think. There is chap chae for bassie.cafe 668 - the perennial choice for now/eye writers for best veg spot in the city. It's good, but I wouldn't call it the best. White folk love this place.graceful vegetarian - Now this is the best veg spot in the city, in market village right beside curry's.Magic wok - my fav all around chinese spot, everything can be described in one word...."fresh". (dinner only)hanoi 3 seasons - northern style, not like the southern style that is more popular.The list is decidedly Asian centric, because guess what I'm Asian. Plus the atmosphere of an Asian restaurant is conducive to social gatherings. Less stuffy and good background noise makes it more inviting. Although if people are interested in French or whatever I can throw some recommendations along those lines too.Reply here and throw your name into the hat if interested, I will pm each and every one of you. Transportation can be arranged if you don't have a car. Now is the time to list any potential allergies/restrictions/phobias.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Sat June 17th

graceful vegetarian

are my picks.

thanks for organizing this.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm in.

I dun care where, when or what we eat...

allergies/restrictions/phobias???

Just as long as Missbassie does not give me the evil eye when I eat bulgogi or whatever fine beef dish I fead the beast...

• Options
    Who got a private jet to fly up there? Island Airport to Buttonville.

K.

I'm in.

I dun care where, when or what we eat...

Just as long as Missbassie does not give me the evil eye when I eat bulgogi or whatever fine beef dish I fead the beast...

i'm not like that!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

hah, I have to be civil to the "blind" so to speak.

ok, graceful veg it is imo. Even if it's vegetarian, this gets my highest ranking. The soups here are flavourful beyond belief, I have no idea how they manage to coax so much flavour w/o the use of a meat stock. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who worships tripe.

Since it's at market village, we can meet earlier for a romp through pac mall. I can pick up my stinky spicy squid while everybody looks in disdain. Or you can utilize me for some canto haggling....

ps: will I see any of you tonight....

ok, graceful veg it is imo.

since it's at market village, we can meet earlier for a romp through pac mall.

yea!

KL makes a good point - are we TTCing?

• Options
    TTCing + Markham Transiting, no?

K.

TTCing + Markham Transiting, no?

K.

nah, thank goodness. the malls are in walking distance of both Steeles and Kennedy, not that far north at all

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    im in.

well, in spirit.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    yes, it's right on the corner of Kennedy & Steeles, the walk will be less than 5 mins at max. It's just at the NW corner of the mega lot that is Pac Mall/Market Village.

I don't mind picking people up from a station though if they feel too lazy to tackle bus transfers. Fairview mall will be the closest meeting point.

• Options
    Is it here?

K.

• Options
    Guess Aser just answered the question.

K.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    same complex, but just outside to the NW of pac mall. It's right by Curry's, the art supply store.

that last pic in your post, is a stand selling "dragon beard candy". SO SO GOOD.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    If we can firm up a date, I'll hop a train.

That vegetarian joint sounds great.

Pacific mall looks like heaven. I hope they sell kung fu dvds there.

Peace

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    so far it's firm, Sat, june 17th, plan that trip and bring me some fairmount bagels HAH.

5 people in this thread said ok, so majority rules.

and yes I'll be there tonight.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I'm in.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I'm down to go to this, just let me know the day in advance. I usually work down at First Markham one day on the weekend, so it'll be a 3 minute drive for me to run this. If you do this again in the future, Peaktop has the best Pigeon in the city IMO... There are some real ill spots on 7...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I'm down to go to this, just let me know the day in advance. I usually work down at First Markham one day on the weekend, so it'll be a 3 minute drive for me to run this. If you do this again in the future, Peaktop has the best Pigeon in the city IMO... There are some real ill spots on 7...

What are the ill spots on 7? I need to try some new spots.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    yes you tell em moss, lots of good stuff in First Markham Place even. A secret of mine is one of the food stalls there, serves a really awesome shanghai hung siu au yuk meen (roasted beef noodle soup).

actually I think I'll stop by this weekend for some.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    parking lot at first markham was murder today, as expected for the weekend, the rain compounded the problem. But it was oh so worth it....

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ok I've sent pm's to those who have shown interest. Please get at me.......

and if you're interetsed but haven't posted yet, get at me too.

again, we're eating at

Graceful Vegetarian Restaurant

4396 Steeles Ave, East Unit E8
    Market Village Shopping Centre
    Markham, ON Canada
    Phone: 905-479-8381

libations post meal if people feel up to it.