Texas Rap

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
So a year past the so-called Texas rap revival, I'm left wondering if Texas rap has, as quickly as it heated up, gone cold to the national audience. People have long since turned on Lil Flip and Mike Jones. I'm now seeing (granted, on the internet only) Chamillionaire being called a nerd rapper. It didn't seem like Trae's Swang really took off beyond the Lone Star state.I'm not hearing much about Lil Keke's Chunk Up the Deuce either.Even Pimp C's return single produced by Salih Williams hasn't seemed to be drawing much attention. It makes me wonder if all of that national hoopla for Houston rap was strictly related to the extent of 2 songs: Still Tippin' and Sittin' Sidewayz. What do you think?

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

What do you think?

This will be 40 pages.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    were any of these Texas acts as big as Crucial Conflict was in the 90's?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    the curse of houston.

and drugs.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

All you should be concerned with is that Krayzee Bone's verse on the Biggie Duets album is about as clear-cut an instance of Blowed-biting as there gets.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

All you should be concerned with is that Krayzee Bone's verse on the Biggie Duets album is about as clear-cut an instance of Blowed-biting as there gets.

Do you think he's referencing current Blowed material, or does he have a worn, skippy copy of the "lightbulb" double LP?

Watch LA take they styles back, they styles back...

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    MIKE JONES!?!?! WHO!?!??!

literally

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    1. "Back Then" charted higher than "Still Tippin," believe it or not.
    2. "Ridin Dirty" by Cham is number one on the POP charts right now, so weird timing on yr part.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I met a gypsy and she hipped me to some life game
    To stimulate then activate the left and right brain
    Said baby boy you only funky as your last cut
    You focus on the past your ass'll be a has what

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    well, Slim Thug was "already platinum" when we broke onto the national scene, so I guess he doesn't really need us...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    You focus on the past you'll be ass-hurt on Soulstrut[/b]

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    You focus on the past you'll be ass-hurt on Soulstrut[/b]

*ZING*

2. "Ridin Dirty" by Cham is number one on the POP charts right now, so weird timing on yr part.

CHAM THE BIGGEST AY YO OF 2006!?!?!?!

Doesn't Ridin' Dirty mean anal-sex, in some circles?

and yeah I woudn't be suprised if that Cham is that big, Wild 94.9 (the candy-ass urban pop-hop station) is doing a bunch of promotional events for him.

Damn shun what circles you be ridin' in???

Damn shun what circles you be ridin' in???

BERKLEY TO WALL-STREET KUFI KREW!

Do you think he's referencing current Blowed material, or does he have a worn, skippy copy of the "lightbulb" double LP?

I love that soulstrut seems to think that the only way that information can be passed is through listening to a record.

Gawd bless you all.

literally

Mike Jones is faaaaaar from out of the picture.

Aside from all of his countless cameos, both on record and tv...

Salih just built a brand new vocal booth for Mike in his revamped studio in order to record a new album.

But Cham is atypical, remember?

you'll be ass-hurt on Soulstrut[/b]

Y'all never tire from turning anything and everything into some sort of chance to express your homo-erotic sides, ha?

Fine, then just try to answer why Chunk Up the Deuce isn't catching on beyond Texas?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Fine, then just try to answer why Chunk Up the Deuce isn't catching on beyond Texas?

Paul Wall overkill?

No video?

I love that soulstrut seems to think that the only way that information can be passed is through listening to a record.

Gawd bless you all.

So... you've seen the Bone dudes at Blowed recently?

Salih just built a brand new vocal booth for Mike in his revamped studio in order to record a new album.

famous last words...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

literally

Mike Jones is faaaaaar from out of the picture.

Aside from all of his countless cameos, both on record and tv...

An album highly anticipated by you and nobody else.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

bigspeak from someone who doesn't leave tx.

I hear it all the time.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Paul Wall overkill?

No video?

Add to that the fact that it might sound a little too Houston for most folks.

you'll be ass-hurt on Soulstrut[/b]

Y'all never tire from turning anything and everything into some sort of chance to express your homo-erotic sides, ha?immaturity[/b]

Paul Wall overkill?

No video?

Wow, a straight answer.

I thought Paul Wall was the one everyone was checking for.

Paul's alright on it, but Keke gives a proper lesson on where just about everyone in TX originally got their style from.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts

- no video

- no real push to radio (YET - swishahouse's hell broke loose 3 is going to go through atlantic, so once that is ready to drop, i wouldnt be surprised if they put more substantial promo behind it. also paul wall is supposed to have a reality show this fall on VH1?)

- that said, there's a bunch of teenage kids in NYC on the subway with chunk up the deuce as their ringtone (last fall and winter, i saw a lot of kids on the subway with "ridin dirty" as their ringtone) and hear it coming out of cars a bunch. wouldnt be surprised if it caught on late.

im a bit surprised trae hasnt gone further with "swang" yet but maybe its just a question of not having outside people on the remix? in NYC at least, a lot of radio DJs weren't playing "still tippin" before the g-unit version, and then once the video really went ballistic, they retired the one with 50 on it in place of the original.

texas rap didnt go (and isnt going) away, i think its just a case of people being inbetween albums and not putting out singles at the moment. cham will have more tracks off his album do well (in the trunk), whenever UGK does their album it will be big (bun b performing @ hopkins fight too) mike jones will come out and have more big songs.

or maybe its just a case of

You are so much smarter than this line of argument is indicating.

Krayzee Bone circa '06 sounds way too much like Ellay Khule circa '94.

You do the math if that's a problem for you.

You are so much smarter than this line of argument is indicating.

Krayzee Bone circa '06 sounds way too much like Ellay Khule circa '94.

You do the math if that's a problem for you.

I understand what you're alleging; I'm trying to get a better picture for the "when and where" of it all. Like, going back to my original question, does dude have some old cassettes? (nah, I need that walkman fam, that's the only way I can still listen to these Blowed tapes. Without them I'm nothing.) Does he possess a separate, secret Ipod with numerous vintage Blowed tracks? Has he been secretly attending Blowed this whole time?!?!? The mind boggles.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I understand what you're alleging; I'm trying to get a better picture for the "when and where" of it all. Like, going back to my original question, does dude have some old cassettes? (nah, I need that walkman fam, that's the only way I can still listen to these Blowed tapes. Without them I'm nothing.) Does he possess a separate, secret Ipod with numerous vintage Blowed tracks? Has he been secretly attending Blowed this whole time?!?!? The mind boggles.

Do not underestimate Krazie Bone's ability to memorize and imitate styles he heard at an open mic 12 years ago.