Motown Remixed is actually alright...

DigginDiggin 319 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Most remix projects range from average to straight up wack but this one actually brings new life to songs that you've heard so many times that you can't stand them i.e "Let's Get it on", "ABC", "Papa was a rolling stone" etc. I'll probably pick up one or two of the 12" samplers.
Motown is about to go club, chill and merge into hip-hop.Universal Music will release Motwon Remixed, featuring today's top remixers reconstructing old classics.The Jackson 5 will be give the treatment from Z-Trip on 'I Want You Back' and Salaam Remi for 'ABC'.DJ Smash has remade Stevie Wonder's 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered' and the Randy Watson Experience takes on Gladys Knight's 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine'.The tracklisting is:-- Paul Simpson (Serious Intention, Spinners, Jacksons) and MilesDalto, for Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On"-- 'The Randy Watson Experience': AKA Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson (TheRoots, Common, Nikka Costa, Joss Stone) and James Poyser (ErykahBadu, Jill Scott, Roots, Anthony Hamilton), for Gladys Knight &The Pips' "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"-- DJ Green Lantern (Eminem, Nas, Tupac, and has his own new albumcoming soon), for Rick James' "Mary Jane"-- Salaam Remi (Ludacris, Amy Winehouse, Fugees, Nas, Jamiroquai),for the Jackson 5's "ABC"-- DJ Z-Trip (Soup of Jurassic 5, Chuck D and has his own new album"Shifting Gears"), for the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back"-- DJ Jazzy Jeff (Will Smith, Jill Scott, Kenny Lattimore, KRS-1),for The Temptations' "Papa Was A Rolling Stone"-- DJ Spinna (Guru, De La Soul, Mary J. Blige), for Eddie Kendricks'"Keep On Truckin'"-- Hank Shocklee (Shocklee Entertainment, Public Enemy, Mary J.Blige, Ice Cube, Peter Gabriel), for the Undisputed Truth's"Smiling Faces Sometimes"-- Easy Mo Bee (Alicia Keys, Notorious B.I.G., Miles Davis), for TheTemptations' "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)"-- Mocean Worker AKA Adam Dorn (U2, Mystikal, Moby, Charles Wright,Bill Frisell, Nina Simone), for Rare Earth's "I Just Want ToCelebrate"-- Hotsnax AKA Full Phatt (Ashanti, Nelly, Outkast, Usher, ChristinaMilian, Bob Marley), for Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' "TheTears Of A Clown"-- King Britt (SYLK130, Digable Planets, Miles Davis, GroverWashington, Jr.), for Edwin Starr's "War"-- DJ Smash (Roy Ayers, Chico Hamilton, Cassandra Wilson), for StevieWonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours"-- Rafe Gomez and David Baron as 'The Groove Boutique' (thenationally-syndicated cool jazz mix show of the same name), forSmokey Robinson's "Quiet Storm"-- Tranzition (everyANYTHING), for Diana Ross & The Supremes' "MyWorld Is Empty Without You"

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i've only listened to the z-trip track so far.. he did poppa jackson/b-boy djs proud.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I just bought a couple of those. The Z-Trip one and (suprisingly) Stevie's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" are mucho club worthy.

The one I didn't buy is the one with the Marvin remix (got the bootleg 12" holmesy)

but the "Quiet Storm" re-work/mix/edit is noice. If anyone has MP3s of these hollllllor.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I like the track Nu-Mark did on Atlantiquity[/b], which is also out as its own 12".

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Is this a bunch of 12"s or an album? Where can I buy it???

ATLANTIQUITY is a full album on CD, not sure if Atlantic has put out a vinyl counterpart, but I do know a few of the songs are on vinyl as a 12". Quantic has a mix on there too which is really good.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    got an advanced copy in Miami during the conference. shit is real nice!

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    When I was in LA last week KCRW was playing the Mocean Worker/Rare Earth's "I Just Want To Celebrate" which sounded great. Any 12"s coming out of this one?

• Atlantiquity[/b]
    anyone got this on the slsk?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Garth Trinidad, host of Chocolate City on KCRW is the man behind the Atlantiquity comp. He's on a dj tour right now plugging said album. Not a bad dj, he plays sundays at Zanzibar in Santa Monica.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    got this comp the other day from a Universal rep. will be getting much burn.. It's pretty good. I like the Stevie Joint, and the Salaam Remi "ABC" will go good to a lil jon set..

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I like how 4 people in here made a point of saying they got a promo copy on some industry shit.

Im like...

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Most remix projects range from average to straight up wack but this one actually brings new life to songs that you've heard so many times that you can't stand them i.e "Let's Get it on", "ABC", "Papa was a rolling stone" etc. I'll probably pick up one or two of the 12" samplers.

As someone who is a big fan of the Verve Remixed series, I've been really disappointed with the songs I've heard from this so far. Way too downtempo for me.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I like how 4 people in here made a point of saying they got a promo copy on some industry shit.

Im like...

that's how I got mine as well. Get the vinyl with Marvin and Quiet Storm joints and the vinyl with that Z-trip remix. The rest is basically some "HEY I'll take the old drums and add my own drums to it!" biz.