Good Old Soul

mojoworkinmojoworkin 283 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Not that I'm not extremely happy with my life as it is, but sometimes I really wish that I had been born in or around the year 1930. Oh, and as a resident of New York City.I would be 25 in the year 1955, and I would spent every free moment in Greenwich Village, 52nd Street, and Harlem jazz clubs. I would have also gone out to California to the Lighthouse, and visit other Central Avenue spots. Maybe I could have even gotten a job as a critic, started a record store, or worked for one of the independent labels like Riverside or Prestige.I would be old enough to appreciate the music (I'm 27 now and realize that I couldn't possibly have understood jazz in my teenage years), old enough to get into the clubs, old enough to drink, and would have generally just appreciated the culture of the era.I appreciate that not everything would be fine and dandy too - I would have been raised during the Depression, and would have lived through the terror of two world wars. Still, I think I would get on just fine.What culture or era would you liked to have lived in?

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I appreciate that not everything would be fine and dandy too - I would have been raised during the Depression, and would have lived through the terror of two world wars. Still, I think I would get on just fine.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I appreciate that not everything would be fine and dandy too - I would have been raised during the Depression, and would have lived through the terror of two one world wars.

...and you would have probably been shipped off to Korea

• mojoworkinmojoworkin 283 Posts
    Quit raining on my parade, fatties!

Shit was better then. Fuck MySpace and cellphones, fuck popular music, fuck crappy movies, and fuck worthless bullshit like 'Brangelina' and 'Tomkat'. Those people aren't my heroes.

Quit raining on my parade, fatties!

Shit was better then. Fuck MySpace and cellphones, fuck popular music, fuck crappy movies, and fuck worthless bullshit like 'Brangelina' and 'Tomkat'. Those people aren't my heroes.

ok, i can forgine your romanticising of the past, i can forgive your retarded statement i quoted earlier, through gritted teeth i give the fatty comment a pass, but bro, how dare you insult Tomkat.

you bastard, Tom Cruise is a bonafide genius, the man can cure heroin addiction in 4 days FOUR DAYS! he got familiar with the entire history of psycology, he can run really fast and in case you missed Oprah, he is also madly in love with that chick from dawsons 90210.

you stepped over the line man, you take that back you grubby little thetan.

and in answer to your original question: id live in the future. alien chicks are hot.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Fuck MySpace and cellphones, fuck popular music, fuck crappy movies, and fuck worthless bullshit

here here!

and in answer to your original question: id live in the future as imagined by designers of the 50's and 60's[/b]. alien chicks are hot.

• Quit raining on my parade, fatties!

Despite your nostalgia, you have to keep in mind that back in your "ideal era" polio was still rampant (as were many other deadly - now eradicated - diseases), as were institutionalized racism (at pre-Civil Rights levels) and standards of cultural conformity that would boggle your mind (God help you if you were gay back then). Keep in mind that many of the jazz and Beat heroes of those days suffered tremendously for their art, whether by drugs, alcohol or social pressure (i.e. Lenny Bruce).
    People can engage in behavior today freely that would have gotten their heads cracked 40 years ago.
    Not to mention WW2, Korea, Vietnam etc.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    Fuck MySpace and cellphones, fuck popular music, fuck crappy movies, and fuck worthless bullshit

here here!

Yes, it's a good thing there were no crappy movies or horrible popular music in the 1950s.

you guys are a buncha killjoys.

• you guys are a buncha killjoys.

Live the life you have today. It's the only one you're getting.

harsh

• harsh

Sorry meng.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Political and social issues not taken into consideration, It would be nice to have been born in 1950. You're sixteen when Freak out!, Pet Sounds and Revolver are released and old enough to do stupid things in 1969. Then you start collecting records seriously in the 70s and by the time hiphop rolls around you've got the connections and knowhow to get every damn break there is before anyone knows what a break is. By now, you're an old bitter bastard, reminiscing about your youth and hatting on crunk, snap and myspace.

Then you start collecting records seriously in the 70s

Prime denuding

and in answer to your original question: id live in the future as imagined by designers of the 50's and 60's[/b]. alien chicks are hot.

no. that is a real picture of a real alien chick from the future.

• Then you start collecting records seriously in the 70s

Prime denuding

CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP......

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    My brother-in-law always gets angry when I take these flights of fancy because, clearly, you wouldn't be the same person you are now with the same likes and dislikes if you had been born in 1950 instead of, in my case, 1982.

If I were to pick an era, it'd be the modernist period in California. Did anyone see those miniature rooms at the Art Institute of Chicago?