Temperature's Rising ( Pennsylvania Summer & RR)

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
i moved into my place (bedroom is on the third floor of a 100+ yr old rowhome) in the dead of winter so i am trying to get a feel for how hot it is going to get this summer (melted wax related). i am installing an air conditioner today, but am only going to run it from the evening until the morning which means my room is going to be pretty damn hot during the hottest part of the day. Should i move my records into the basement? It's a little damp down there but easily 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. Also, if i keep them in my room is it bad for the records to be going back and forth from one extreme to the other every single day?That being said/asked, i really appreciate the knowledge you guys are willing to pass on, my questions are always met with plenty of options and opinions. So thanks Strutters.

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Why don't you just run the air-conditioner during the day, and then at night, cover the window up really good?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    i moved into my place (bedroom is on the third floor of a 100+ yr old rowhome) in the dead of winter so i am trying to get a feel for how hot it is going to get this summer (melted wax related). i am installing an air conditioner today, but am only going to run it from the evening until the morning which means my room is going to be pretty damn hot during the hottest part of the day. Should i move my records into the basement? It's a little damp down there but easily 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. Also, if i keep them in my room is it bad for the records to be going back and forth from one extreme to the other every single day?

That being said/asked, i really appreciate the knowledge you guys are willing to pass on, my questions are always met with plenty of options and opinions. So thanks Strutters.

Just keep them out of the sun and upright and they will be ok. I had no air conditioning when I lived in Philly and my records were fine. I was fucking melting, but my records were fine. I think the direct sunlight is the real thing that will fuck them up so just watch out for that.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    They are well protected from the sun as they are now, i've just never dealt with a room this hot before. My old place had a finished basement which was perfect, so needless to say i am a little nervous about the heat, but if you made it through Larry i am thinking i'll be fine.

Running the A/C all day. There are three of us who will all be using A/Cs so we are trying to keep the energy bill as low as possible, so running it when i'm at work all day isn't an option. i would love to come home to an ice cold room though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Keep them out of direct sunlight... my records have been through many 100 degree Summers without AC and they're fine

Also keep them away from the moisture in the basement!! That is BAD NEWS

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    i moved into my place (bedroom is on the third floor of a 100+ yr old rowhome) in the dead of winter so i am trying to get a feel for how hot it is going to get this summer (melted wax related). i am installing an air conditioner today, but am only going to run it from the evening until the morning which means my room is going to be pretty damn hot during the hottest part of the day. Should i move my records into the basement? It's a little damp down there but easily 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. Also, if i keep them in my room is it bad for the records to be going back and forth from one extreme to the other every single day?

That being said/asked, i really appreciate the knowledge you guys are willing to pass on, my questions are always met with plenty of options and opinions. So thanks Strutters.

Just keep them out of the sun and upright and they will be ok. I had no air conditioning when I lived in Philly and my records were fine. I was fucking melting, but my records were fine. I think the direct sunlight is the real thing that will fuck them up so just watch out for that.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    They are well protected from the sun as they are now, i've just never dealt with a room this hot before. My old place had a finished basement which was perfect, so needless to say i am a little nervous about the heat, but if you made it through Larry i am thinking i'll be fine.

Running the A/C all day. There are three of us who will all be using A/Cs so we are trying to keep the energy bill as low as possible, so running it when i'm at work all day isn't an option. i would love to come home to an ice cold room though.

Its cheaper to run it on a low setting all day rather than cranking it up when you get home.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Its cheaper to run it on a low setting all day rather than cranking it up when you get home.

Oh really? That is good news. i am actually on my way to buy my first AC after i get out of work today, so this is a good look. Thanks.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    your little pride and joys deserve a climate controlled, theft-secure, bomb proof room. Anything less would be uncivilized.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    ...theft-secure, bomb proof room. Anything less would be uncivilized.

Will this suffice?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Personally I enjoy the comfort that only 24 hour camera surveillance can offer.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    good day to install the a/c....ive gotta get on that im literally in my new apt in the city

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    ac is soft

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    ac is soft

Dr joel is soft

i was cold last night. Enough said.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    ac is

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    ac is

I like the remote controlled talking ACs they have in Japan. Japanese ACs are

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ac is

I like the remote controlled talking ACs they have in Japan. Japanese ACs are

also, why are the chimes on them things so soothing. They really think of everything over there....