Gregory Isaacs LP

gruntgravelgruntgravel 559 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Does anybody on here have this album? If so, I have a question about the sound. Do they all have a consistent hiss all the way through both sides?

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    that cover makes me wanna light up.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Which pressing? I can check mine when I get back home.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hissy/crackly vinyl, labels off-base or switched around???

Welcome to Jamaica!

• gruntgravelgruntgravel 559 Posts

I'm not sure which pressing I have, but here is a pic of the label. Is the hiss common to lps pressed in Jamacia? The music is mixed pretty good, but the hiss kills it.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    the pressing i have on GG's sounds fine--well it sounds jamaican but no more hiss than usual. i don't think i have too many other things on this label but i seem to recall buying a repress on GG's a few years ago and it was unlistenable. but i think the record would have to be seriously fucked up for me to not be able to listen to "special guest"

Yeah, when the music is playing you don't really notice it as much, but the spots between tracks sound like someone recorded it off their stereo speaker using a Radio Shack tape deck with a built in microphone.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Yeah, my copy is really hissy as well.

But thanks for making me throw it on - great music!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    GG that copy looks worn out as fuck, it looks like the grooves are nearly gone - that could explain noise

Mine is almost certainly a repress and it sounds fine

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

cool.

GG that copy looks worn out as fuck, it looks like the grooves are nearly gone - that could explain noise

Mine is almost certainly a repress and it sounds fine

Nah...thats just not a good picture. Actually, the record looks unplayed. Thats what was tripping me out with the hiss, because the record is so clean and the hiss is through the whole thing.

Thanks dudes for checking your copies.

• Options
    Belive the OG lettering on the label is colored (blue) and a has prominent deep groove. Problem with Gregory's work is that the best shit is on 12" and 7" and noen of it compiled on a decently pressed LP (although i do remember a nice one with dubs came out recently on 180G).

K.