Byron Lee from Turntablelab

tallbobsmoketallbobsmoke 715 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Did anyone happen to buy those OG sealed copies of Byron Lee and the Dragonaires Reggay Splashdown from turntablelab a while back?Mine was pretty badly warped. I can't even play the first two tracks on either side of the record. Turntablelab offered me a 6 dollar refund. That barely covers shipping on a record that is basically unplayable.I feel jacked and just wanted to share.Yeah, I know. Little guy record. I'm acting all ass hurt over 12 dollars, but it doesn't seem fair and I was wondering if I was the only one who got a warped record.I'm now going to break it into pieces and ship it back to turntablelab with a condom.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Most return policies don't refund shipping....

This is a record that can sell for as high as $40. So crying over $6 for a sealed (and warped) copy to me is kind of like pinching pennies... bad enough, you could've asked them to open it first and check. This is advisable for sealed records.

I think you should chalk it up to buying a sealed record over the internet, shit happens....... TTL is a great shop and website but it isn't exactly the place for collectible vinyl; moreover buying sealed store stock is always somewhat risky.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I'm now going to break it into pieces and ship it back to turntablelab with a condom.
    I'll pay you $6 to do it!

• Most return policies don't refund shipping....

This is a record that can sell for as high as $40. So crying over $6 for a sealed (and warped) copy to me is kind of like pinching pennies... bad enough, you could've asked them to open it first and check. This is advisable for sealed records.

I think you should chalk it up to buying a sealed record over the internet, shit happens....... TTL is a great shop and website but it isn't exactly the place for collectible vinyl; moreover buying sealed store stock is always somewhat risky.

Exactly what I expected. I know it's advisable to request sealed records be opened before purchasing, but it's pretty hard to communicate with TTL via email unless you know people.

I just got this fucked up feeling that they knew they were warped and decided to make the 12 bucks off of suckas like me instead of throwing them up on Ebay where they'd be held accountable and wouldn't be able to get away with it.

I know I know, pinching pennies. I'm not at your level....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm now going to break it into pieces and ship it back to turntablelab with a condom.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I mean, trust me, I understand that you want at least the full $12 back. I would personally refund that, but I am not them; I sell mostly used/rare records, they sell mostly new stock.

As for communicating, why not just ring them on the phone?

I would not send the used condom because you'd probably just gross out the guy doing returns, who wasn't responsible for selling or grading the record in question.

• I'm now going to break it into pieces and ship it back to turntablelab with a condom.

Deal!

Yeah, I know it's stupid. 12 bucks. But 12 bucks times how many of those records they sold. And how many of them were warped?

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    if it makes you feel any better... EVERY SINGLE sealed record i've ever bought from Amoeba Records' actual physical store [not online] has been warped. i've even taken them back, exchanged them for another sealed one only to find once i get home that that one is warped too. these have all been those 180gram re-pressings, but i have a feeling that the problem is that they seal records too tightly [and put that really tight tape strip across the back too]. i even made them open the sealed record i was exchanging it for just to make sure it's not warped, but you can't tell just by plain view... you need to put it on a turntable to see [which they don't]. i've given up on complaining about this and have realized that new/sealed records are always a gamble now... no matter where you get them.

whats does suck though... is that i've seen the same records i've exchanged re-sealed and put back on the shelves for the next sucker.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    i've given up on complaining about this and have realized that new/sealed records are always a gamble now... no matter where you get them.
    Pretty much anytime you purchase/acquire a factory sealed record, it's going to be warped. I don't mess around with sealed records anymore. Shit, I found some sealed records with mold on them.

As far as losing your $12, look at it like this: it could of been $120.

Sorry that happened to you.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    if it makes you feel any better... EVERY SINGLE sealed record i've ever bought from Amoeba Records' actual physical store [not online] has been warped. i've even taken them back, exchanged them for another sealed one only to find once i get home that that one is warped too. these have all been those 180gram re-pressings, but i have a feeling that the problem is that they seal records too tightly [and put that really tight tape strip across the back too]. i even made them open the sealed record i was exchanging it for just to make sure it's not warped, but you can't tell just by plain view... you need to put it on a turntable to see [which they don't]. i've given up on complaining about this and have realized that new/sealed records are always a gamble now... no matter where you get them.

whats does suck though... is that i've seen the same records i've exchanged re-sealed and put back on the shelves for the next sucker.

Amoeba is the worst with their records. They put 8 layers of shipping tape on each one and it takes about 10 minutes to open the thing without breaking the record in half.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Jewbitch.

• I'm now going to break it into pieces and ship it back to turntablelab with a condom.

Jewbitch.

That's funny. I almost threw in some sort of antisemetic remark, but didn't want to feel the wrath of Guzzo.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Oh.

I clicked on this wondering who Byron was? Because I thought I knew everybody down at TTL.

Holla