78's ARE THE BEE'S KNEES (rr)

MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Found an interesting mix of 78's the other day at a garage sale. A good grip of 50's rockabilly and r&b (Pat Cupp, Gene Vincent, Chuck Berry, Bobby Bland, Excello labels, etc). Also a couple early 40's blues sides (Kokamo Arnold, Robert Petway) and other odds and ends (Pilgrim Travelers, a couple labeled as "Hillbilly", etc). Got an old portable record player too so that I could play them (it plays 78s/45s/LPs even 16 RPM!). Most looked like ass so I figured they wouldn't play that we'll but damn, they sound pretty great to these ears. Been having a lot of fun spinning them, as I haven't ever spent any time with 78's before. When I bought them, the guy having the sale exclaimed, "THESE ARE THE BEE'S KNEES!". I have to agree. Any of you all dig for 78s?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Yes. Those are some nice titles.

Get yourself a vintage tube powered mono player. It will fuck you up.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

...and use the correct 78rpm needle, or you will fuck them[/b] up.
    and hey F----, hope all is well.

...and use the correct 78rpm needle, or you will fuck them[/b] up.
    and hey F----, hope all is well.

it is. hope you are too.

but, isn't it the other way around:

78 (mono) needles will fuck up stereo records of any RPM?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    hell yeah... 78's are the truth. Probably the only media I don't mind having a bit of surface noise.

Keep in mind they are super brittle and break easy.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts

I'll have to look into that...I'm guessing one of those could cost me? This old school portable (with detached speakers) is treating me well right now. It has a switchable needle to play 78s versus LPs/45s. And yes, there was some niceness in those 78s that had big cracks or chunks missing. I don't know why, but I bought them anyway (maybe to stick on the wall or something).

I'm listening to Screaming Jay Hawkins "I Put A Spell On You" right now...the subtle surface noise only adds to the charm. Must be the best medium to hear this cut!

I'll have to look into that...I'm guessing one of those could cost me? This old school portable (with detached speakers) is treating me well right now. It has a switchable needle to play 78s versus LPs/45s. And yes, there was some niceness in those 78s that had big cracks or chunks missing. I don't know why, but I bought them anyway (maybe to stick on the wall or something).

I'm listening to Screaming Jay Hawkins "I Put A Spell On You" right now...the subtle surface noise only adds to the charm. Must be the best medium to hear this cut!

Those old portables are nice too. Well, when you actaully find a tube player that works, it will proably cost you next to nothing.

Screamin J on 78, huh?

NOW THAT IS THE SCHITT!

Are those Bobby Blue Bland titles on Duke? And Gene Vincent? Fuck dude. You scored.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had one of those portables when I was a kid, it was cool, but I lent it too my cousin & he absolutely destroyed it. Last time I went home to visit my folks someone had bumped a big box of magazines on my 78 player that had smashed the plastic dust cover & fucked up the tone arm, I was gutted because I had just bought some new 78 finds back there to listen to & now I can't. Lucky my 78 collection was safely tucked away in a cupboard.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    Are those Bobby Blue Bland titles on Duke? And Gene Vincent? Fuck dude. You scored.

One Bobby Bland on Duke...two Gene Vincents...Pat Cupp is killer rockabilly...Robert Petway is amazing blues. Nice titles but really, the condition is not great at all. None were in sleeves...many have deep scratches/gouges (though amazingly these don't seem to affect the play much). The Screamin' Jay has a hairline crack but plays great.

They're pretty dirty too...any tips on cleaning? I was thinking of mixing water with a little shampoo and a soft rag. I know rubbing alcohol isn't good for these...

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    to me, it sounds like the blues was made to be heard on 78's.
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

any tips on cleaning? I was thinking of mixing water with a little shampoo and a soft rag. I know rubbing alcohol isn't good for these...

if they play, don't fuck with them. too easy to break while cleaning.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

any tips on cleaning? I was thinking of mixing water with a little shampoo and a soft rag. I know rubbing alcohol isn't good for these...

if they play, don't fuck with them. too easy to break while cleaning.

What the man said. I heard not all 78's were created equal. Depending on the formulation, you could fuck up a 78 even with water, which could "enter" the record itself and destroy it.