How you can help the war in Iraq

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'd swear that I would avoid these types of threads but I had done this several times during when I was deployed over there. It actually works. Kids were loving us and the adults were starting to warm up to us, as well. This then lead to them giving us important intel to help us find/lookout for insurgents.

The plan isn't about having kids stand outside waiting to get killed but to have it in an organized manner so that the children are getting gifts (i.e toys, blankets, dolls, etc,.) from soldiers. We also handed out books and school supplies to children at their school also.

My 2 cents.

thanks

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Pasted from an email. The author is a (former) business associate of my mum's. For real, if anyone has experience doing drives like this and wants to get involved, please holler.

>>>
    I'm the S3 of a tank battalion, 1-37 Armor, and we are moving into a new
    area in Iraq where the population is much more hostile than where we just
    came from. If you can do what I am about to ask, you WILL help our cause and
    possibly contribute to saving lives.

The people here are not friendly and the only way we can think to get in
    with them is through their children. We need toys, coloring books, crayons,
    anything kids will like, yes candy is always appreciated, too. If you go to
    a rummage sale or flea market and can get a big box of old stuffed animals
    that are not too dirty, I will get them into the hands of soldiers who will
    get them to Iraqi children. The theory is that if the kids are friendly and
    stay on the streets, we will become better accepted and in less danger.

If you are interested, please respond and I will be able to give you the
    address after 1 June. If you can get your church group or your family signed
    up, all help will be appreciated. I know postage is expensive, but this
    stuff will make a difference.

All your continued support is appreciated.

Thanks!

(name withheld for now)

Spliff knows someone who is over there. I am sure he doesn't want to be over there, but they have a job a to do. The guy is trying to do his job the best he can and he has asked for help. Help him, or not, which ever. But respect him for doing his best in difficult circumstances.

Take your petty partisan politics to some other thread, lord knows there is no shortage of them here.

• takotako 50 Posts
    The theory is that if the kids are friendly and

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The theory is that if the kids are friendly and

It wasn't like that when you were there?

CHAIRBORNE!!!

• Pasted from an email. The author is a (former) business associate of my mum's. For real, if anyone has experience doing drives like this and wants to get involved, please holler.

>>>
    I'm the S3 of a tank battalion, 1-37 Armor, and we are moving into a new
    area in Iraq where the population is much more hostile than where we just
    came from. If you can do what I am about to ask, you WILL help our cause and
    possibly contribute to saving lives.

The people here are not friendly and the only way we can think to get in
    with them is through their children. We need toys, coloring books, crayons,
    anything kids will like, yes candy is always appreciated, too. If you go to
    a rummage sale or flea market and can get a big box of old stuffed animals
    that are not too dirty, I will get them into the hands of soldiers who will
    get them to Iraqi children. The theory is that if the kids are friendly and

If you are interested, please respond and I will be able to give you the
    address after 1 June. If you can get your church group or your family signed
    up, all help will be appreciated. I know postage is expensive, but this
    stuff will make a difference.

All your continued support is appreciated.

Thanks!

(name withheld for now)

Spliff knows someone who is over there. I am sure he doesn't want to be over there, but they have a job a to do. The guy is trying to do his job the best he can and he has asked for help. Help him, or not, which ever. But respect him for doing his best in difficult circumstances.

Take your petty partisan politics to some other thread, lord knows there is no shortage of them here.

Thanks for this. I was starting to feel the same way. I will always believe that if you do something nice for someone and are genuine about it, then it will be returned to you. I just hope a majority of the folks doing this over there don't obnoxiously do this and then beat the shit out of some little iraqi's like in that british video that was going around awhile ago.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    [quote Can you honestly tell me thing would not be drastically different if Gore had won? I'm no Gore lover, by any means, but really?
    the damn truth.

• takotako 50 Posts

Thanks for this. I was starting to feel the same way. I will always believe that if you do something nice for someone and are genuine about it, then it will be returned to you. I just hope a majority of the folks doing this over there don't obnoxiously do this and then beat the shit out of some little iraqi's like in that british video that was going around awhile ago.

i agree with you that intentions matter, but the same soldiers who are nice to kids to decrease their chances of getting killed , kill people overthere because of their orders.
    fuck everbody who supports the army including canibus.

i agree with you that intentions matter, but the same soldiers who are nice to kids to decrease their chances of getting killed , kill people overthere because of their orders.

Hello,

On behalf of the Army, FUCK YOU too.

Take care!

XOXO

-Dizzy

• takotako 50 Posts
    you justa clown

on behalf of all my brothers & sisters that died in irak cause some monkeys in your stupid ass country need more cash.

if someone really wants to argue with me over this point please, make up another thread or something

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

What does "support the army" mean if they just follow the "orders" of the bureaucrats?

I was one of the freaks who went and protested in Feb 2002 because I thought carpet bombing Afganistan was wrong. That was around the time you couldn't really say shit against the war on terror. I didn't bother protesting in 2003 because I knew Iraq was a done deal. However, I know people who are out there, my brother was in the Arm Cav until 2002, I hear stories about the US soldiers needing armour, having to beg for food off Iraqis and even their families back home. It's clear that the US govt is prepared to fuck them up the ass. We should not wash our hands of this problem. If we can see the logic and/or moral compunction in helping Iraqis, then surely there should be compassion all round.

Being mad at soldiers is simplistic. Try going for a day without finaincially supporting a war profiteer. Unless you live like the Unabomber it's impossible.

• takotako 50 Posts

What does "support the army" mean if they just follow the "orders" of the bureaucrats?

Try going for a day without finaincially supporting a war profiteer. Unless you l

1. those are 2 different things. someone who just supports the army is not a soldier

2. what is a war profiteer? sorry i dont know really i dont live in the us

ps. im not mad, please continue to argue wit me thanks

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Try going for a day without finaincially supporting a war profiteer. Unless you l

1. those are 2 different things. someone who just supports the army is not a soldier

Where do you live?

if you want people to argue with you then make a point first.

if someone really wants to argue with me over this point please, make up another thread or something

DONE.