How you can help the war in Iraq

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Pasted from an email. The author is a (former) business associate of my mum's. For real, if anyone has experience doing drives like this and wants to get involved, please holler. >>>I'm the S3 of a tank battalion, 1-37 Armor, and we are moving into a newarea in Iraq where the population is much more hostile than where we justcame from. If you can do what I am about to ask, you WILL help our cause andpossibly contribute to saving lives. The people here are not friendly and the only way we can think to get inwith them is through their children. We need toys, coloring books, crayons,anything kids will like, yes candy is always appreciated, too. If you go toa rummage sale or flea market and can get a big box of old stuffed animalsthat are not too dirty, I will get them into the hands of soldiers who willget them to Iraqi children. The theory is that if the kids are friendly andstay on the streets, we will become better accepted and in less danger. If you are interested, please respond and I will be able to give you theaddress after 1 June. If you can get your church group or your family signedup, all help will be appreciated. I know postage is expensive, but thisstuff will make a difference.All your continued support is appreciated.Thanks!(name withheld for now)

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    so in order to save american lives, we should endanger iraqi children? i understand the concept, but i don't know how i feel about it.

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts
    What about blankets?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    so in order to save american lives, we should endanger iraqi children? i understand the concept, but i don't know how i feel about it.

Very true. But I think the kids are more in danger from US troops thinking they are terrarists than from getting hurt in crossfire or as punishment for talking to the enemy/liberators. I dunno, I think more of this approach in Northern Ireland might not have created generations of militants. Either way, it's a mess.

• What about blankets?

what about fucking going home?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    1) Ensure the Democrats take the House in the Fall.

2) Have everybody you know push their Reps to hold hearings on this war.

3) Subpoena all these fuckers and have them finally answer some real questions under oath.

4) Troops will come home as these assholes start falling like dominoes.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

3) Subpoena all these fuckers and have them finally answer some real questions under oath.

Come on, the money spigots have been turned on full blast and that's going to determine how long the powers that be will stay there. The American public as a whole is not against being there, they just don't like high oil prices, taxes, or the draft. I don't see enough Dem leaders being for a quick exit. The question is whether they will try to turn a combat force into a police force, 3 years late.

Come on, the money spigots have been turned on full blast and that's going to determine how long the powers that be will stay there. The American public as a whole is not against being there, they just don't like high oil prices, taxes, or the draft. I don't see enough Dem leaders being for a quick exit. The question is whether they will try to turn a combat force into a police force, 3 years late.

Sorry, I cannot take that cynical attitude.

• gruntgravelgruntgravel 559 Posts
    1) Ensure the Demopublicans/Republacrates take the House in the Fall.

Demopublicans/Republacrates

This attitude really frustrates me.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'd swear that I would avoid these types of threads but I had done this several times during when I was deployed over there. It actually works. Kids were loving us and the adults were starting to warm up to us, as well. This then lead to them giving us important intel to help us find/lookout for insurgents.

The plan isn't about having kids stand outside waiting to get killed but to have it in an organized manner so that the children are getting gifts (i.e toys, blankets, dolls, etc,.) from soldiers. We also handed out books and school supplies to children at their school also.

My 2 cents.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    I'd swear that I would avoid these types of threads but I had done this several times during when I was deployed over there. It actually works. Kids were loving us and the adults were starting to warm up to us, as well. This then lead to them giving us important intel to help us find/lookout for insurgents.

The plan isn't about having kids stand outside waiting to get killed but to have it in an organized manner so that the children are getting gifts (i.e toys, blankets, dolls, etc,.) from soldiers. We also handed out books and school supplies to children at their school also.

My 2 cents.

thanks

This attitude really frustrates me.

i'm still a yellow dawg
    but
    it is hard to not feel ^^ this way^^ sometimes

lesser of 2 evil style

"ask me again after a few months in hicksburg"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

My 2 cents.

Uh-Oh... firsthand experience on the strut! Jesus, next thing you know you'll be telling us about BLACKNESS when I would much rather hear it from the white dude that read about it on the blog by the guy who has a friend who lives a couple of blocks away from 'Da Getto'.

Don't you DARE shatter my illusions, Bellcity.

Chairborne Ranger, out!

My 2 cents.

Uh-Oh... firsthand experience on the strut! Jesus, next thing you know you'll be telling us about BLACKNESS when I would much rather hear it from the white dude that read about it on the blog by the guy who has a friend who lives a couple of blocks away from 'Da Getto'.

Don't you DARE shatter my illusions, Bellcity.

Chairborne Ranger, out!
    Sup D.Bull. Long time, no hear.

I ain't trying to give anyone a rude awakening or nothing, I'm just chopping it up with my fellow strutters.

Chairborne Ranger.

Hahahah!! I think only you and Cas know what that means.

• gruntgravelgruntgravel 559 Posts

This reality really frustrates me too.

A wolf in different clothes is still a wolf.

Ok. Money is too tied up in the electoral process on both sides. Fixing that is paramount.

In the meantime, we have some very important issues to take on by the means available to us right now.

I'm an Independent. Fucking believe that. I've voted across the board.

There is no way I can look at the public service records of elected officials from just the past 20 years and think the dems and the gop are birds of a feather.

Chairborne Ranger.

?

Chairborne Ranger.

?
    You just lost me, T*m.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm a little grumpy today.

Not sure why. maybe i should have some coffee of something.

Pick Up Your Pencil And Follow Meeeee

I've been reading these books lately about SF and LRRP/Rangers in Vietnam, and they are pretty interesting to read. What bugged my out was that they called the 'drinky' town the Ville back then too. Like, there was still a difference between a village, and The Ville. That, and I didn't know that on a patrol the guy that follows the point man is said to be "pulling slack". In my (korean) world that meant talking to the ugly friend so your buddy could spit game to the hot one.

History can be fun after all.

This reality really frustrates me too.

A wolf in different clothes is still a wolf.

You are misinformed. Can you honestly tell me thing would not be drastically different if Gore had won? I'm no Gore lover, by any means, but really?

Chairborne Ranger.

?
    You just lost me, T*m.

company style ?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

When I get a subpoena - I just throw it in the trash.

now, he sez there are 2 sides to the story ............................

now, why haven't all those war profiteers recieved subpoenas ???

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

Giving children stuffed animals = short term solution

Getting the fuck out = the only solution

The Insurgency in Iraq is fighting an OCCUPATION, just like you might if people showed up on your blocks with tanks, searched your house in the middle of the night pointing guns at your Pops, dropped bombs,etc.

It may be effective PR momentarily, but the Insurgency isn't going to change their tune once you give little Ahmed a smurf.

• Giving children stuffed animals = short term solution

The Insurgency in Iraq is fighting an OCCUPATION, just like you might if people showed up on your blocks with tanks, searched your house in the middle of the night pointing guns at your Pops, dropped bombs,etc.

It may be effective PR momentarily, but the Insurgency isn't going to change their tune once you give little Ahmed a smurf.

the 'insurgency' consists of disparate elements with wildly varying motivations. If simply leaving iraq would ensure stability why havent the US pulled out? in whose interest is it that they stay there longer than necessary? it sure isnt in the republicans political interest.

• takotako 50 Posts

Giving children stuffed animals = short term solution

even the thred title is
    why not shoot em in the head now instead of feeding them candys now & bombing them later
    not directed at anyone on this board but dont forget that this war is about money like every war

now, he sez there are 2 sides to the story ............................

now, why haven't all those war profiteers recieved subpoenas ???

I love that he had the cash in his freezer.

Anyways, the Dems will take the House and if they can't begin to turn things around then I'm done.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    I didn't say leaving would 'ensure stability' in Iraq. It won't, neither apparently will staying. The point is IT'S NOT OUR LAND as an occupying force, we have no right to say what should happen in Iraq, we have as much right to that decision as the Chinese have as to what should happen in Kansas. zero.

Obviously, No one knows why we're in Iraq, we know the reasons we were given are lies (given the fact there are no WMDs, that Hussein was not an active threat) but we don't know the real reasons for sure. Oil is a factor, as well as the desire for an enormous permanent military base in the Mideast, in this sense, US policy makers still think it is in the interest of the US to stay, that's why 'staying the course' has been the mantra.

To say that it isn't in the interest of Republicans is right, It was, but now it's become a liability.The Iraq war if anything, has strengthened Iran as the majority of Iraq's politicians have deep Iranian ties and sympathies. It's also helped out the cause of radical Islam worldwide cause everyday you can turn on your tv and see that a muslim country is being occupied by the US and it's resulted in a bloodbath.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    On a broadly related note...

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article12499.htm

The film was shown on Channel 4 in the UK a couple of months back. It's about an hour long, and not really the kind of thing you'd wanna watch during a lunch break, but it's worth a look if you have the time.

...we have as much right to that decision as the Chinese have as to what should happen in Kansas. zero.

The Chinese own Kansas and several other states, for that matter. Don't front.

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html