Ludacris Swaggerjacker?

Dabney_SoulmanDabney_Soulman 890 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Taken from the E! intranetLudacris, Kanye Defend "Stand Up"[/b]by Natalie Finn May 23, 2006, 12:00 AM PTSoon it will be up to a jury to decide whether this charge has merit or is just plain Ludacris. Actor-rapper Chris Bridges, aka Ludacris, appeared in a Manhattan courtroom Tuesday to address a charge that he and Kanye West pilfered another tune when they recorded their 2003 hit single "Stand Up." a d v e r t i s e m e n t New Jersey-based production company BMS Entertainment/Heat Music LLC has sued the duo for breaching copyright laws by stealing lyrics and beats from a song called "Straight Like That," written by the four-man group I.O.F. (It's My Family). "The first time they heard the song 'Straight Like That' was when this lawsuit was filed," attorney Christine Lepera argued. Lepera is representing the two rappers and the various other entities named in the suit--EMI April Music Publishing, distributor Universal Music, Video Distribution Corp. and Def Jam Music Group. At the center of this case, according to what was said in court Tuesday, is the use of the words "like that," which are repeated more than 80 times in each song. "There are scores of songs out there with the words 'like that' with that type of rhythm," Lepera said, referring to "Stand Up's" chorus that repeats the line "When I move you move--just like that." She added: "They do not need to copy anyone's music." "The benefits are reaped by those who have celebrity status??? [I.O.F.] put a lot of time and effort into doing this song and then it was taken away from them," the plaintiff's attorney, Mel Sachs, said in court, urging the jury to not be "blinded by celebrity." "This song 'Stand Up' catapulted Ludacris' career," Sachs said. It sold more than 500,000 copies and was "certified gold by the recording industry." Perhaps he should also instruct the 12 men and women to not be blinded by West's six Grammys, none of which had to do with "Stand Up," or Ludacris' killer performances in Crash and Hustle and Flow and countless other records sold, either. Sachs said that he could prove that Ludacris and West had access to "Straight Like That," although the single never made it off of college radio airwaves and into the big time. "The defendant had access to the song on numerous occasions," he said, adding that hundreds of demo copies of the I.O.F. song were circulating at one time or another. Sachs also said that one of Ludacris' record companies contacted BMS Entertainment. As to what purpose, he hasn't revealed yet. Lepera countered by saying that the beat in both songs was simple and common enough to explain any coincidental sounds. "Do you think your three-year-old can do that?" she said, clapping her hands to the beat. (Lepera played a handful of songs to the jury to illustrate her point that many songs just happen to sound alike.) Ludacris is scheduled to testify at some point during the trial, which will reportedly last for one or two weeks. West, although not in court Tuesday, is also expected to appear. If the rap stars are found liable, another trial phase will determine what sort of damages should be doled out.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I will start to post boring telecommnications world news from my company intranet. In spanish, of course.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    written by the four-man group I.O.F. (It's My Family)

IOF should lose based on the fact that their initials do not correspond to their full name.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I will start to post boring telecommnications world news from my company intranet. In spanish, of course.

Porfis!

Yesterday, a coworker taught me the following Peruvian saying:

Sarna con gusto no pica.

I was...disturbed.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Ludacris is scheduled to testify at some point during the trial, which will reportedly last for one or two weeks.

A two week trial behind this foolishness = obscene

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    written by the four-man group I.O.F. (It's My Family)

IOF should lose based on the fact that their initials do not correspond to their full name.