Buying reggae in nyc

sconesscones 434 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
where is good?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I remember there is a shop in St Mark's that I went to. I had to be buzzed in, ganja smoke everywhere, dude was doing six shooters to the sky and dancing with himself to the rasta riddims party of one. It was all dancehall though, so I walked out BUT he might have some private stash that I was unaware of. Might not even be there anymore either.
    Peace
    T.N.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    After going there last weekend, Good Records reggae section was overflowing with the hot stuff. Wish I knew where to begin on it...DEFINITELY check it out.

• paging Bigspliff....

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    the best and easiest are Jammyland on E.3rd st. and Deadly Dragon Sounds on Forsyth.

if you want to go to the outer boroughs there's lots in brooklyn and queens.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    I will be staying in queens, so whats good?

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    VP records...i've never actually been there but apparently it's huge.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    VP records...i've never actually been there but apparently it's huge.

VP is over for vinyl unless you want stacks and stacks of Sizzla 45s for 30c each. Used to have a great selection of cheap re-ishes of stuff like Macka Fat and Heptones plus the odd og in there. Now it's all about comps like Dry Fuckin vols. 1 through 257

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    the best and easiest are Jammyland on E.3rd st. and Deadly Dragon Sounds on Forsyth.

if you want to go to the outer boroughs there's lots in brooklyn and queens.

IMHO Good has better prices and far better condition than Deadly Dragon Sounds, as well as a serious selection at all times. Jammyland is cool for reissues if that's your bag.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    OK... are you looking for originals or represses?

Coxsone's Music City is still around I believe... as is VP... although you will be seeing a lot of new reggae and reissue stuff. No boxes of OG Studio One. Brad's is still around in the BX but again, no boxes of OG Wackies.

Jammyland on 3rd Street has the most comprehensive selection in the city.... of reissues.

Deadly Dragon Sound on Forsythe is a dedicated reggae store. They have new 45s, old 45s, reissues, OGs... definitely check them out.

Good Records NYC (my shop) is on 3rd street, mere blocks away from Jammyland and I have a fantastic selection of original/vintage pressing reggae LPs, 12"s, and 45s.

Not sure about A-1, but Sound Library has been known to get some choice reggae items.

There aren't any spots in Brooklyn or Queens where you are going to find a huge haul of original reggae vinyl. Although you can try - the shit is out there, it's just not sitting around for a collector to stumble over!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    it's just not sitting around for a collector to stumble over!

define "collector"

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

define "collector"

define "stumble"....

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

define "collector"

define "stumble"....

define "over"

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    There aren't any spots in Brooklyn or Queens where you are going to find a huge haul of original reggae vinyl. Although you can try - the shit is out there, it's just not sitting around for a collector to stumble over!

If you want new reggae and dancehall, you won't find a better spot than Ethiopian Taste on Nostrand and Sterling in Crown Heights, BK. BONUS: They sell fronto.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    OK... are you looking for originals or represses?

Coxsone's Music City is still around I believe... as is VP... although you will be seeing a lot of new reggae and reissue stuff. No boxes of OG Studio One. Brad's is still around in the BX but again, no boxes of OG Wackies.

Jammyland on 3rd Street has the most comprehensive selection in the city.... of reissues.

Deadly Dragon Sound on Forsythe is a dedicated reggae store. They have new 45s, old 45s, reissues, OGs... definitely check them out.

Good Records NYC (my shop) is on 3rd street, mere blocks away from Jammyland and I have a fantastic selection of original/vintage pressing reggae LPs, 12"s, and 45s.

Not sure about A-1, but Sound Library has been known to get some choice reggae items.

yeah i had plans to check your shop out, i buy hiphop but im just thinking about my housemate; he collects reggae. i will be the one balling, on the fone from nyc to england, telling him what i found.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

i think it depends what your cut-off year is... finding pre-1980 stuff is tuff, but finding 1984-1994 stuff is pretty easy... to the point that i put back way more of that stuff than i buy, just b/c i figure i won't play all of it... you can still really score on mid 80's 12"'s in most spots... i love that stuff myself and never pay more than 2-3 dollars a 12" unless it's something i really really need...

re: deadly dragon... it's a collector's store and you'll pay accordingly, but it has by far the biggest and best stock of 70's reggae 45's in nyc... i've def. crossed a few things off my want list there...