Denatured Alcohol

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I was looking to pick some up yesterday (20 / 80 water, right?) But the place i was at didn't have any. Does someone want to throw out a warning before i substitute rubbing alcohol in the same ratio? It's my understanding that the alcohol is just there to evaporate the water more quickly once its on the record(?) i did some cleaning yesterday and found that this cheapy portable i have really digs a lot of the gunk of out the grooves so i want to get some serious stuff done now.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I might be wrong, but I think "Rubbing Alcohol" is generally isopropyl alcohol in a 40 to 70% concentration with distilled water AND a rubifacent such as glycerine or camphor. I wouldn't use it on records, even if they would feel better after the massage.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Denatured alcohol is highly toxic & can give you cancer. Don't put it on your records.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up. i was asking a couple cleaning questions a little while ago and this came up as a good way to go. Anyone have anything good to suggest beyond the cleaning kits (& elmers glue)? i see a lot of shop owners using a spray but i dont know what kind of mix or solution it is.

i have been using a damp-soft rag just to get some surface stuff off, but i have a lot of 45s that crackle pretty badly and i want to get a good cleaning on them.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up. i was asking a couple cleaning questions a little while ago and this came up as a good way to go. Anyone have anything good to suggest beyond the cleaning kits (& elmers glue)? i see a lot of shop owners using a spray but i dont know what kind of mix or solution it is.

i have been using a damp-soft rag just to get some surface stuff off, but i have a lot of 45s that crackle pretty badly and i want to get a good cleaning on them.

Try audioasylum.com there will be some recepies listed there.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Try audioasylum.com there will be some recepies listed there.

Found a link on there to a few different ratios and additives. Giving it a shot tonight. Again, thanks. Back to that big opera lot i have my eye on.